Deddie Sionader

Don't give up

Bachelor of Business and Commerce (2012)

1. Full name / Age / Nationality.

Deddie Sionader / 26 years old / Indonesian

 

2. Where are you working / studying presently, and describe your general work scope. 

I’m currently working for Lenovo serving as Market Intelligence, Strategy and Operations Senior Specialist. In my role, I'm involved in strategy concepts and decision making processes, spotting trends and looking for new opportunities in Indonesian markets. I am also heavily involved in business operations such as the BMS (Business Management System) and Quarterly Business Review with Lenovo's partners.

 

3. Why did you choose to study at Monash University Malaysia?

My sister studied in Monash Malaysia (graduate class of 2009) and she told me great things of Monash. I also attended a career day in Sunway College and was interested in Monash, particularly the Econometrics and Business Statistics major.

 

4. Describe your study experience at Monash University Malaysia.

In my first year, I didn’t participate in any clubs and societies. But in my second year, I was very active; I was a member in the Monash Business Club where I served as head of the Think Tank for Entrepreneur Forum 2011. I also participated in the Monash University Student Association, serving in the Student Advancement Committee.

I was very fortunate to be a Research Assistant to Associate Professor Santha Vaithilingam and Professor Mahendhiran Nair. Actually, it was this experience that benefited me the most, as I was able to apply all my skills in analytics and organising to real life. Being an RA further developed my growth and gave me enough preparation on what to expect at work.

I rented a room at Lagoon View Condominium, which was a 10 to15 minutes’ walk from the campus. Living alone was a great experience as well. It taught me to be very independent and organised with my things, as the proverb says, “The image of your room is reflection to your character”. I also learnt how to cook, which was fun.

 

5. What advice would you offer to the current students on how to succeed in university?

Keep persevering, work hard and be active in Clubs and Societies. Don’t give up. Your future is 40 per cent secured once you have graduated from Monash - the other 60 per cent is, of course, dependant on yourself!

 

6. What do you love most about your student life at Monash University Malaysia?

I love the campus atmosphere. Every time I walk into Monash, even after I graduated, the buildings and ambience surrounding Monash always gives me goose bumps, like a shock of energy. It feels like “home” for students to study and learn. Also, definitely my friends from Monash with whom I spent many hours hanging out at the cafeteria and studying together during the exam period at the Library or at the classrooms till late at night.