Study what you love
Doctor of Philosophy - Arts (2014)
Awards/scholarships obtained: Monash Graduate Research Scholarship
1. Full name / Age / Nationality.
Peter Gan Chong Beng / 51 / Malaysian
2. Where are you working / studying presently, and describe your general work scope.
I'm a senior lecturer with the Philosophy and Civilization Section, School of Humanities, Universiti Sains Malaysia, Penang.
3. Why did you choose to study at Monash University Malaysia?
In 1991, I spent a year at Monash, Clayton campus, completing an Arts Honours degree. It was an enriching experience. I also chose Monash Malaysia because I learnt that scholarships were offered to pursue doctoral studies on a part-time basis.
4. How has your degree at Monash prepared you to be where you are today?
My studies at Monash has contributed quite substantially to my academic career in terms of providing me invaluable opportunities for research and for scholarly discussions with my supervisor.
5. What did you love most about your student life at Monash?
Discussions with my supervisor, Andrew Ng.
6. What is your advice to current Monash Malaysia students?
Possessing a desire for studies and especially for immersing yourself in learning and investigating the subject matter that you love most will be the driving force for your academic endeavours. Enjoy university life in all its diverse aspects and what it has to offer!