Dr Nik Nailah binti Abdullah
Room No. 2-4-17, School of Information Technology
Tel: +603 5514 6086
Nik Nailah Abdullah is a Lecturer attached to the School of Information Technology at Monash University Malaysia. She graduated from the Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM), Skudai, Malaysia in 2000 with Honours in Computer Science. She had her postgraduate education at the LIRMM (Laboratoire d'Informatique, de Robotique et de Microélectronique de Montpellier), France and obtained her DEA (French Masters Degree equivalent) and Doctor in Philosophy degree with Distinction in Informatics from Université Montpellier II Sciences et Techniques du Languedoc in 2002 and 2006 respectively. Her main research interests are in the design of multi-agent communication language specification and modeling, cognition modeling of communication for tool design for medical informatics.
She worked at GRACE Center (Center for Global Research in Advanced Software Science and Engineering), Tokyo Japan (from 2009-2011) as a Researcher and at Mimos Berhad, Malaysia as Senior Researcher (from 2012- 2013) in the Product Development and System Integration Cluster. She has given numerous invited international talks on her research including ‘Technovisionaire’ speaker for the opening of the Year of Creativity Milano officiated by President Filippo Penati, in 2009, Google Tech Talk speaker at Google Mountain View, California in 2008. She was also nominated as one of the three finalists for the "The Technovisionarie" BlackBerry¨ “Women and Technology Award” associated by IFIP in 2008.
- PhD Informatics (With Honors), University Montpellier II –Sciences and Technologies, France
- MsC Computer Science, University Montpellier II - Sciences and Technologies, France
- BsC Computer Science, University Technology Malaysia, Skudai, Johor
- FIT3045 - Industry-based learning
- FIT2003 - IT professional practice
- Multi Agent System
- Requirements Engineering
- Software development process
- Medical Informatics
- Human Computer Interaction
- Binti Abdullah, N.N, Azlan, Sharil. A (2015). The Communication Patterns in the Context of Error in an Intensive Care unit in a Malaysian hospital. The 9th International and Interdisciplinary Conference on Modeling and Using Context (CONTEXT), CONTEXT 2015. Larnaca, Cyprus, 2nd-6th November 2015.
- Binti Abdullah, N.N., Mendes, S., Cerri, S., Honiden, S. Identifying Collaborators Activities from Web-Mediated Dialogs: The Activity States Framework Approach. Twenty-Sixth AAAI conference on Artificial Intelligence. Activity Context Representation Workshop. AAAI Press. 2012.
- Binti Abdullah, N.N. Special Track on Cognition and Artificial Intelligence: Comparing Human Capability and Experience with Today’s Computer Model. Proceedings of the 25th FLAIRS conference. AAAI 2012.
- Binti Abdullah, N.N., Sharp H.C., Honiden,S. Activity States Framework as an Experimental approach to Studying, and Modeling Context in Web-Mediated Collaborative Dialogs. Proceedings of the 24th FLAIRS conference. Special Track: Cognition & AI: Capturing Cognitive Plausibility and Informing Psychological Processes. AAAI Press. 2011.
- Binti Abdullah, N.N., Sharp H.C., Honiden,S. How Artefacts Influence the Construction of Communications and Contexts during Collaboration in Agile Software Development. Proceedings of the 24th FLAIRS conference. Special Track: Cognition & AI: Capturing Cognitive Plausibility and Informing Psychological Processes. AAAI Press. 2011.
- Binti Abdullah, N.N., Sharp, H.C., Honiden, S. Communication in context: a stimulus-response account of Agile team interactions. Proceedings of the 11th XP 2010, International Conference on Agile Software Software Development Process. June 1-4, 2010, Springer. 2010.>
- Binti Abdullah, N.N., Sharp, H.C., Honiden, S. A Method of Analysis to Uncover Physical Artefact-Communication Relationship. Proceedings of the 23rd FLAIRS conference. Special track: Cognition and AI: Capturing Cognitive Plausibility and Informing Psychological Processes. May 19-21 2010. AAAI Press. 2010.
- Binti Abdullah, N.N., Honiden.S. Activity states framework for the analysis of cross-domain collaboration on the Web. 30th Annual Meeting of Cognitive Science Society. July 29th- August 1st, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2009.
- Binti Abdullah, N.N., Honiden, S. Characterizing different communication characteristics arising in different phases of meetings. Books of abstract for the 1st International Conference on Language, Communication and Cognition Conference, University of Brighton, August 4th-7th, 2008.
- Binti Abdullah, N.N., Tomadaki, E., Scott, P., and Honiden, S. What goes on in a meeting? An Empirical Study. 30th Annual Meeting of Cognitive Science Society. July 23-26, Washington, USA, 2008.
- Binti Abdullah, N.N., and Honiden, S. Context in use for analyzing conversation structures on the Web tied to the notion of situatedness. 6th International and Interdisciplinary Conference on Modeling and Using Context (CONTEXT), CONTEXT 2007, pp. 94-107. Roskilde University, Denmark, 20th-24th August 2007.
- Binti Abdullah, N.N., Honiden, S. Predicting Breakdown Situations over the Instant Messaging through Analyzing Conversational Structure. 29th Annual Meeting of the Cognitive Science Society. Nashville, Tennesse, USA. 1st-4th August 2007.
- Binti Abdullah, N.N., Tschetter, E., Honiden, S. Building Assistive Technology for Breakdown Situations in Collaborative Communications via IM. Plan, Activity and Intent Recognition Workshop. Twenty- Second Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI), Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. 22nd 26th July 2007.
- Binti Abdullah, N.N., Honiden, S. A topic categorization approach for understanding IM activities on the Web. Multiple and Ubiquitous Interaction- book of abstracts. Christina Brodersen, Susanne Bodker, and Clemens N. Klokmose (Editors). DAIMI PB-581, University of Aarhus, Denmark. 28th-30th March 2007.
- Binti Abdullah, N.N., Liquiere, M., and Cerri., S.A. Inducing Communication Protocols from conversations in a multi agent system. CISI-04 Conferenza Italiana sui Sistemi Intelligenti (Biological and Artificial Intelligence Environments). Edited by: Bruno Apolloni et al. Kluwer Academics. Amsterdam, The Netherlands. March 2006.
- Binti Abdullah, N.N., and Cerri, S.A. Some preliminary results on: The induction of communication protocols. CogSci'05: Proceedings of the 27th Annual Meeting on Cognitive Science. Stresa, Italy. 21st-23rd July 2005.
- Binti Abdullah, N.N. The induction of communication protocols. AAMAS '05: Proceedings of the fourth international joint conference on Autonomous agents and multiagent systems. Utrecht, The Netherlands. ACM Press, New York, USA. pp:1381-1381. 25th-29th July 2005.
- Binti Abdullah, N.N., Liquiere, M., and Cerri, S.A. GRID Services as Learning Agents: Steps towards the induction of communication protocols. ITS'04: First International Workshop on GRID Learning Services Proceedings. Maceio, Brazil. pp: 64-77. 30th August- 3rd September 2004.
- Binti Abdullah, N.N., and Cerri, S.A. 2004. Conversion steps of human conversation into an agent language. CLIN'04: The 15th Meeting of Computational Linguistic in the Netherlands. Leiden University, The Netherlands. 17th December 2004.
- Binti Abdullah, N.N., and Liquiere, M, and Cerri, S.A. Discovering Propositionalised Rules Via GAsRule. Gecco'03: Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference Late Breaking Papers. Edited by Bart Rylander. Chicago, USA. pp:31-38. 12th-16th July 2003.
- Binti Abdullah, N.N., and Liquiere, M., 2002. Genetics Algorithms for Rule Extraction. DCAP: IEEE First International Workshop on Data Cleaning and Preprocessing. Maebashi City, Japan. December 2002.
- Ahmad, A.A., and Binti Abdullah, N.N. 2000. User Authentication via Neural Network. AIMSA '02: 9th International Conference on Artificial Intelligence: Methodology, Systems, and Applications. Lecture Notes In Computer Science. Springer-Verlag, London, UK. Vol. 1904, pp:310-32. 20th – 23rd September 2000.
- Binti Abdullah, N.N., and Cerri. S.A. Analysis and Synthesis of Agent Communicative Behaviors. Towards the Learning GRID: advances in Human Learning Services. by P. Ritrovato et al. Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications. Applied Artificial Intelligent Journal. Taylor and Francis, New York, USA. 19: (9-10), pp: 1015-1041. November-December 2005.
- Binti Abdullah, N.N., and Cerri, S.A. GAsRule for Knowledge Discovery. Edited by S.Zhang, C.Zhang and Q.Yang. Applied Artificial Intelligent Journal. Taylor and Francis. New York, USA.17: (5-6), pp: 339-417. May-July 2003.
- Binti Abdullah, N.N, Honiden, S., Sharp, H., Nuseibeh, B., and Notkin, D. Communications patterns of Agile Requirements Engineering. Workshop on Agile Requirements Engineering. ECOOP 2011.
- Poh, G.S., Abdullah, N.N., Reza Z’aba, M., Wahiddin, M.R. Reasoning of Collaborative Human Behavior in Security-Critical Work Practices: A Framework. Trustworthy Ubiquitous Computing. Atlantis Ambient and Pervasive Intelligence Volume 6, pp 99-106. 2012
- Industry Based Learning Coordinator
- Cognitive science society member and Intern, Institut Jantung Negara