Why you need to report incidents?
- It is also a legal requirement to report all incidences to the OHSE Unit, who will in turn, as and when required, report to the authorities.
- Reporting of incidents enables the campus to investigate how the incident occurred and take measures to prevent the incident from recurring.
- Information on incidents is also used to recommend improvements in the work environment, facilities, and purchasing decisions.
- This data is also used to draw up OHS training and awareness programs for the campus through an annual review process.
- MUSC staffs are required to report incident, as per this Business Rules: Incident Reporting Policy and Procedure.
What do you need to report?
- Hazards – a source or a situation with the potential for harm in terms of human injury or ill health, or a combination of these.
- Near Misses - unplanned events that did not result in injury, illness, or damage, but had the potential to do so.
- Dangerous Occurrences – conditions or action by someone that have the potential to cause hazardous situations that could potentially cause injury to a person, the campus, or the environment.
- Accidents – an unplanned situation that causes harm of injury to a person.
- Occupational illnesses - identifiable, adverse physical or mental condition arising from and/ or made worse by a work activity and/or work-related situation.
Who is responsible for reporting an incident?
- Everyone on campus is expected to report any health and safety hazard.
- Those who have been affected by an incident.
- Those who have witnessed an incident or a hazardous situation.
How to report an incident?
- Your supervisor.
- The person supervising the area where you’re working or studying.
- Your School/Unit or MUSA representative.
- Directly to the Occupational Health, Safety and Environment Unit.
What happens after you report an incident?
- The relevant School/Unit will be notified of the incident.
- An investigation is usually carried out to determine the causes of the incident and recommend improvements.