Managing your Student Pass
A Student Pass can last no more than a year. You’re responsible for renewing it if studying beyond its expiry date, which you should note carefully – Malaysia penalises students who overstay.
You should apply to extend your pass through the International Student Pass unit at least ten to twelve weeks before your pass expires. You will need to submit:
- your passport
- two copies of all pages of your passport
- one passport-sized colour photo with blue background (3.5cm x 5cm)
- a copy of your Monash University offer letter
- your attendance record
- your academic results
- a research progress report if you’re a research student.
You pay RM1000 to renew your Student Pass, which includes the cost of your health check and insurance premium and multiple entry visa (if needed).
The renewal process takes about ten to twelve weeks.
Transferring a Student Pass to a new passport
You can arrange to transfer a Student Pass from an old to a new passport through the International Student Pass unit, who will require:
- your original passport and new passport
- two copies of your new passport’s information pages and last Malaysian entry-stamp page
- two copies of your old passport’s information pages, latest Student Pass page and last Malaysian entry-stamp page.
Malaysian Immigration usually takes up to four weeks to endorse a pass transfer. A processing fee could apply, depending on your country of origin.
Cancelling your Student Pass
When you complete your studies with us, withdraw from a course or transfer to another Malaysian institution, you need to provide our International Student Pass unit with your passport and other documents to have your Student Pass cancelled.
You need to submit:
- your passport
- two copies of the passport information pages, latest Student Pass page and last Malaysian entry-stamp page
- a withdrawal form (PDF, 0.03 MB) (if discontinuing your course)
- your departing air ticket (if leaving Malaysia)
- your offer letter from your new institution (if transferring)
- Monash attendance and results transcripts (if transferring)
- Monash University release letter from Student Services (if transferring).
Malaysian Immigration can take up to 14 working days to cancel your pass.
Malaysian Immigration forms
If you want to bring a member of your immediate family or a dependant to Malaysia, while studying here on a Student Pass, you can apply to Malaysian Immigration for a Social Pass.
Our International Student Pass unit can help you apply for a Social Pass, but you will need these Malaysian Immigration forms:
IMM.38 Form (PDF, 0.31 MB) (visa application form).