Graduate Certificate in Higher Education
Why study a Graduate Certificate in Higher Education?
This professional development program for academics in the higher education industry is specially tailored to suit the higher education environment in South-East Asia. It is a coursework program, designed for teaching staff to develop expertise in the study of teaching and learning, with attention to creating appropriate strategies in these areas.
The course supports academics in developing their professional skills and increasing their knowledge base. It also focuses on the interdependence of teaching, research and service in higher education. Through distinctive teaching methods, the course will foster support for academics to become independent, engaged and critical learners.
The course is offered on a part-time basis only and takes two years (four semesters) to complete.
Areas of study
The course consists of four six-point core units, offered on-site at our Malaysia campus.
HED5051 Learning and teaching in higher education in South East Asia
An overview of theory and best practice in teaching, learning and assessment of learning, with particular attention to the socio-economic context of students, institutions and employers in Southeast Asia.
HED5052 Contemporary issues in higher education in South East Asia
An overview of theory and best practice in professionalism, leadership and community-engaged higher education, with attention to internationalisation and the context of higher education in Southeast Asia.
HED5031 Higher education project: design and literature review
A special project, designed and produced by individual students, to bring about an increased awareness in teaching practice and to improve student learning.
HED5041 Research Project Development and Implementation
Designed to bring about an increased awareness of research-led teaching and professional research skills. In this unit, you implement and systematically study the project created in HED5031, which will enable you to investigate and improve your own teaching practice.
The Monash University Handbook has detailed information about the structure and requirements for the Graduate Certificate in Higher Education.
When you graduate from the Graduate Certificate in Higher Education, you will be able to:
- create effective plans for the teaching and assessment of learning, with particular attention to the context of higher education in Southeast Asia
- demonstrate effective teaching, aimed at a variety of learning preferences, using appropriate delivery methods
- assess learning in a variety of ways and ensure that learning takes place in your classes
- foster engaged, independent and lifelong learning in your students
- actively demonstrate leadership in academic research, community and university service
- draw on and contribute to relevant literature to inform your academic practice
- articulate a personal teaching philosophy
- apply teaching and learning theory in the context of your discipline
- participate in peer-review processes and in a community of practice.
To apply, you must:
- have an undergraduate degree
- be currently lecturing in a higher education institution
- meet Monash University’s English language requirements.
In 2015, tuition fees for this course is RM16,960 for the full course.
The course fee is waived for Monash University Malaysia campus staff.
Each year, there are two intake periods for the Graduate Certificate in Higher Education. This means that you can start in February or June.
How to apply
For more information about this course, contact us.