Bachelor of Business and Commerce
Why study the Bachelor of Business and Commerce?
Commerce is the cornerstone of the modern economy. Our degree offers a world-class education in the economic, political, legal, social, cultural, and technological principles that exist around the world.
This course opens a world of career possibilities. Poh Nean, who studied business and commerce at Sunway, now works in Kuala Lumpur for a team of IT detectives who protect businesses from cyber hackers.
Areas of study (majors)
At Sunway, we currently offer the following areas of study for this course:
- banking and finance
- business law
- econometrics and business statistics
- international business
You need to complete at least one or two majors and six compulsory, common, core units.
The course takes three years of full-time study to complete.
This course consists of six core business and commerce units, an eight-unit major from a list of approved majors and eight open electives. It is possible to form a second major from your open electives.
The Monash University Handbook has detailed information about the structure and requirements for the Bachelor of Business and Commerce.
You will develop:
- fundamental knowledge of general principles and applications of business and commerce disciplines
- the ability to analyse, evaluate and apply your expertise to problem-solving
- a capacity to merge knowledge from different areas to create innovative solutions, while remaining aware of ethical and social responsibility
- the ability to articulate and communicate your reasoning effectively
- skills in interpersonal communication and cultural awareness in a global business environment.
Graduates may find employment in the following sectors:
- financial analysis
- human resources
- public relations
- international trade
The Bachelor of Business and Commerce requires the following entry scores:
|A Level GCE||7||7|
|Australian Year 12 ATAR||70||70|
|Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education||18||18|
|Indian School Certificate||60%||60%|
|All India Senior School Certificate||65%||65%|
|International Baccalaureate Diploma||25||25|
|Kenya Secondary Education||7||7|
|Ontario Grade 12||71%||71%|
|Scholastic Aptitude Test SAT||1710||1710|
|South African National Senior Certificate||32||31|
|Sri Lanka A Level||9||9|
|Thailand Matayom 6||2.3||2.3|
|Vietnam High School Certificate||8||8|
▲Subject to change / additional requirement for future intakes.
|Monash University Foundation Year||60%*||60%*|
|Trinity Foundation Year||67%||67%|
|Sunway Foundation in Arts||60%||60%|
*The score is only applicable for students commencing MUFY in 2013 or 2014.
Mathematics (Australian Year 11 equivalent) is a prerequisite for the Bachelor of Business and Commerce.
In 2014, annual tuition fees for this course are:
- RM32,000 for Malaysian students
- RM35,200 for international students.
- Application - RM100
- Registration - RM200
- General amenities - RM100
- New student visa application fee - RM1860
Each year, there are three intake periods for the Bachelor of Business and Commerce. This means you can start in February, July or October.
Applications for credit can include credit transfer for previous study or recognition of prior learning.
- Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting)
- Honours degree of Bachelor of Business and Commerce
- Bachelor of Business and Commerce / Bachelor of Communication
For more information about this degree, contact us.
From biz to showbiz
Is there anything Mohd Hazli Ali Zapar can’t do? The business and commerce graduate beat 30 other contestants to win the 2010 online reality series The Rookie, about when he set up the Green Leaf Theatre House in his hometown, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. The NGO gives young people a stage to express their ideas and talents.
Alternative pathway course
Do you have pre-university or foundation year qualifications but need another chance to earn a degree and move closer to your dream? The one-year Diploma of Higher Education Studies is just for you.