Bachelor of Medical Science (Honours)
The Bachelor of Medical Science (Honours) provides medical students with an opportunity to gain an in-depth understanding of research in a variety of areas such as biomedical science, public health, clinical medicine and medical education. Students will be exposed to various technologies and research methodologies selected from a wide range of clinical and laboratory settings.
This program allows students to gain an appreciation of the way in which research informs the practice of medicine. Research has shown that some of the benefits of enrolling in this course are as follows:-
- MBBS (Hons) students who intermit their studies to undertake this degree, return to the MBBS (Hons) course and achieve higher outcomes
- Professional specialist colleges regard this qualification positively when assessing applications for specialist training
In addition to that, the BMedSc (Hons) is a qualifying degree which can lead to postgraduate studies at the doctorate level.
Delivery and assessment of the course
This is a full time two semester degree by research program where students will undertake research activities under the supervision of a member of the academic staff at JCSMHS. During the year, students are to present a literature review, a minor thesis, and oral and poster presentations.
Who Qualifies / Admission Criteria
This course is open to Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) students, who have successfully completed one of the following options :
- At least the first three years of the undergraduate MBBS at Monash University.
- At least two years of the graduate MBBS at Monash University.
- Three or more years of other institution's MBBS, deemed by the Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences are equivalent.
If you satisfy any of these options, you make take leave from your course to pursue special studies in a discipline area, offered by the Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences, in order to qualify for this honours degree.
Applications from intercalating MBBS students of other Universities will be considered on a case by case basis.
To enter Monash University, students must satisfy Monash University’s English language requirements.
Upon completion of this program, students will have:-
- Acquired an in-depth understanding of an aspect, issue or problem within a human or biomedical science research
- Acquired an understanding of various methodologies in human and biomedical science research
- Demonstrated retrieval, interpretation and evaluation of information in medical and other research based publications
- Demonstrated an appreciation of the ethical requirements for research activities in human and biomedical science research
- Demonstrated the capacity to design, frame, conduct and report a small-scale project in human or biomedical science research
The biomedical science research project provides students with a higher level of experience in independent analysis and research in the chosen field of expertise, and brings together the clinical and biomedical perspectives. In addition to that, students will be able to further develop their skills in oral and written communications, presentation and collaboration.
The course takes 2 semesters of full-time study to complete.
The Monash University Handbook has detailed information about the structure and requirements for the Bachelor of Medical Science (Honours).
More information on learning outcomes and career pathways with this honours degree is available from the Jeffrey Cheah School of Medicine and Health Sciences.
Application for this course should be made directly to the MBBS Course Management Office (where the application form is available).
As part of the application process, applicants must complete a research project synopsis and research outline which can be found on the BMedSc(Hons) application form. Applications are also required to identify a suitable supervisor from the Jeffrey Cheah School of Medicine and Health Sciences. This information must be completed upon submission of application.
In 2017, annual tuition fees for this course are:
- RM40,280 for Malaysian students
- RM44,308 for international students.
- Application - RM100
- Registration - RM200
- General amenities - RM100
Visa application fee for new international student
- Indonesia - RM 2,840
- Other countries - RM 2,008
There are two intake periods each year for the Honours Degree Bachelor of Medical Science. The first intake is for Semester Summer A and Semester 1 program that begins in November and ends in June. The second intake is for Semester 1 and Semester 2 program that begins in February and ends in November.
- Course accreditation
- BMedSci Student Project Database - February 2017 Intake
- BMedSci Student Project Database November 2016
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychological Science and Business
- Bachelor of Psychological Science and Business (Psychology) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Pharmacy
For further enquiries, please contact