Why study the Bachelor of Pharmacy (Honours)?
Pharmacists make a difference to people's health in hospitals, aged-care facilities and local communities. Our course gives you the knowledge, experience and expertise you need to make a difference from the moment you graduate as a medicine expert and healthcare professional. Pharmacists are in high demand in Malaysia, with the ratio to population about 1:4000.
As part of your degree, you will cover applied pharmaceutical sciences, enabling sciences, clinical and therapeutic sciences, and pharmacy practice, and gain the professional skills and other attributes required of a pharmacist.
Pharmacists are health professionals with the skills and knowledge to help patients understand and use medication. They also play a significant role in new drug development and innovation. We will give you the skills, knowledge and confidence to make a difference too.
Areas of study
- Enabling sciences is the study of the physical, organic and medicinal chemistry, physiology, biochemistry, microbiology, molecular biology and immunology.
- Applied pharmaceutical sciences is the study of the formulation of medicines, pharmacokinetics (what happens to the medicine in the body) and the different dose-forms used in therapeutics.
- Clinical and therapeutics sciences is the study of the major disease states, their epidemiology, pathophysiology, diagnosis, the chemistry and pharmacology of the medicines used to treat these conditions, and the clinical and practice aspects of treating patients.
- Pharmacy practice sciences is the study of the role of the pharmacist, professionalism, dispensing and healthcare in our society.
The course takes four years of full-time study to complete.
The Monash University Handbook has detailed information about the structure and requirements for the Bachelor of Pharmacy (Honours).
The demand for pharmacists in Malaysia and the region is high, and pharmacists will likely remain a sought-after profession in the foreseeable future. Graduates will be able to find employment in the following sectors: COMMUNITY PHARMACY * Clinical pharmacy * Medication management * Pharmaceutical care * Retailing * Management * Health promotion HOSPITAL PHARMACY * Clinical pharmacy * Clinical support services, including drug information, specialised preparative services and therapeutic drug monitoring * Management GOVERNMENT (THE MINISTRY OF HEALTH) * The Pharmaceutical Control Bureau * The Pharmacy Services Division PHARMACEUTICAL INDUSTRY * Research and development * Clinical research * Regulatory affairs * Product information * Sales and management ARMED SERVICES * Pharmacy officer EDUCATION AND RESEARCH * Academia * Research and development
To be a registered pharmacist in Malaysia, you must complete an additional one-year, pre-registration program under the supervision of the Pharmacy Board of Malaysia. More on career opportunities for pharmacists in Malaysia is available from the School of Pharmacy.
You will need the following entry scores for the Bachelor of Pharmacy:
|A Level GCE||12|
|Australian Year 12 ATAR||90|
|Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education||22|
|Indian School Certificate Examination||77%|
|All India Senior School Certificate||82%|
|International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma||33|
|Kenya, Certificate of Secondary Education||11|
|Malaysia, Matriculation Program||3.33|
|Ontario Secondary School Diploma - Grade 12||84.9%|
|Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT)||2115|
|South Africa, National Senior Certificate (2009 onwards)||39|
|Sri Lanka A Level||13|
|Vietnam, High School Diploma||8.56|
|Commencing Monash University Foundation Year (MUFY) in 2016/2017*||77.5%*|
|UNIPREP/UNSW Foundation Studies||8.5|
|University of Melbourne College Trinity Foundation Studies||86%|
*The undergraduate entry requirements published are for students who commence the MUFY program in 2016/2017.
Chemistry and Mathematics (Australian Year 12 equivalent, with excellent results) are formal prerequisites for the Bachelor of Pharmacy. A third subject must be a Biology subject. Please contact the School of Pharmacy for more information.
In 2016, annual tuition fees for this course are:
- RM49,000 for Malaysian students
- RM53,900 for international students.
- Application - RM100
- Registration - RM200
- General amenities - RM100
Visa application fee for new international student
- Indonesia - RM 2,840
- Other countries - RM 2,008
There is one intake period each year in February for the Bachelor of Pharmacy (Honours).
- Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (Honours)
- Bachelor of Psychological Science and Business
- Bachelor of Psychological Science and Business (Psychology) (Honours)
- Bachelor of Medical Science (Honours)
For more information about this degree, contact us.