The world is changing at a rapid pace. We continue to face many climate change challenges, from heat waves to fires and floods. The good news is we CAN do something about climate change if we move towards more sustainable ways to do business and live as a society.
Green Steps @ Uni is a leadership program for students at Monash Malaysia that teaches you how to create positive changes in businesses and organisations that lead to a more sustainable future.
The program is free to Monash Malaysia students and involves 5-days of training during the July break and a live project based at Monash Malaysia.
What is involved?
- Five days of training from leading sustainability experts
- A live sustainability project based at Monash Malaysia
- The potential to do an internship with an external business
- Become part of a global Green Steps Alumni network of over 1,200 sustainability leaders
What does the training cover?
The program is highly interactive and delivered by leading sustainability practitioners - it is unlike any lecture or university course. The groups are small and what you will learn is very practical and linked to industry. You will learn:
- How to conduct environmental audits (energy, waste, carbon)
- How to create a business case that convinces businesses to adopt more sustainable practices
- How to engage staff on sustainability initiatives
- How to develop and run a sustainability project or initiative
Places on this annual program are limited so make sure to get your application in early. See more about the application process.
Am I eligible to apply?
To be eligible for the program, you must:
- Be a current student at Monash University Malaysia, not graduating before November 2017
- Have an interest in sustainability, the environment or creating a better world (no prior study in this field is necessary)
- Be able to attend ALL the dates listed in the schedule below
- Be passionate and committed to fully participating in the experience
What are the Key Dates?
|Midnight, 14 May 2017|
29 May 2017 - 2 June 2017
|4 July 2017 - 8 July 2017|
On Campus Sustainability Project Due:
|18 August 2017|
**Please make sure you are available for all dates when submitting your application.
How do I apply?
Applications are made online and applicants must first:
- Write a one page response to the 2017 task on how you would create change (see task below)
- Submit a one page Cover Letter explaining why you wish to take part in the program
- Have an up-to-date CV or resume' to attach to the online form
NOTE: You will be asked to submit ONE document consisting of the above three requirements in the online application form so you will need to create a document with all three components.
You're a sustainability change agent and want to make a positive difference in the world. You decide to start on your own turf by creating a more environmentally savvy campus. To create change you decide to develop an innovative campaign aimed at engaging your fellow students and lecturers in a sustainability action.
In one A4 page (single sided), please tell us about your campaign proposal, including:
- An outline of your sustainability campaign and why you selected it
- How this campaign will help create a greener campus
- Examples of activities used to engage students and staff in discussion around sustainability
- Three methods used to best communicate the environmental benefits
- The first five steps that you will take towards implementing your campaign
Your proposal will be assessed on innovation, potential sustainability impact, approach to engagement and the visual presentation of your proposal. Remember to keep your proposal to one A4 page!