Dr Lim Wern Han
Room No. 2-4-33, School of Information Technology
Tel: 03 5515 9662
Wern Han Lim (Ian) has been part of the school of information technology as a sessional staff since 2015, having been involved in units such as FIT1008 Introduction to Computer Science, FIT2004 Algorithms and Data Structures, FIT2014 Theory of Computations and FIT3152 Data Science. He has a passion for teaching and was the recipient of the Faculty of Information Technology Teaching Award in 2017: Citation for Outstanding Contribution to Student Learning. His enjoys breaking down complex algorithms/ data structures to the students while analysing the complexities; and was one of the challenge contributors for the 2016 UniCode competition organised in collaboration with INTI Subang. Besides that, he has been actively involved in the field of data science and big data -- by actively seeking certifications; conducting data science workshops; and mentoring student teams in competitions.
Ian had his PhD conferred from Monash University recently in the area of information retrieval (IR), particularly on user-generated content (UGC) such as Reddit. His work focuses on the estimation of user expertise to infer the information quality of their generated content; reducing the need for content processing. The user profiling borrows from data science techniques; introducing novel new models and approaches for UGC platforms. The inferred information quality can then be used to -- (1) identify good tags for accurate content description or classification; (2) finding experts for community question-answering platforms; (3) organising user comments according to their contribution; and (4) filtering out unwanted low-quality content such as spam. His goal is to support various computer science researches by providing data that are dense with high information quality.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) in Computer Science from Monash University, 2018.
- Bachelor of Computer Science from Monash University, 2009.
- FIT1008 Introduction to Computer Science
- FIT2004 Algorithms and Data Structures
- FIT2014 Theory of Computations
- FIT3152 Data Science
- Information Retrieval (IR)
- Data Science and Big Data
- User-Generated Content (UGC)
- Knowledge Discovery and Management
- User Profiling
Selected Conference Proceedings
- Wern Han Lim, and Mark James Carman (2017). Annotator Expertise and Information Quality in Annotation-based Retrieval. In Proceedings of the 22nd Australasian Document Computing Symposium (ADCS 2017). ACM, New York, NY, USA, Article 7, 8 pages.
- Wern Han Lim, Mark James Carman, and Sze-Meng Jojo Wong (2017). Estimating Relative User Expertise for Content Quality Prediction on Reddit. In Proceedings of the 28th ACM Conference on Hypertext and Social Media (HT '17). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 55-64.
- Wern Han Lim, Mark James Carman, and Sze-Meng Jojo Wong (2016). Estimating Domain-Specific User Expertise for Answer Retrieval in Community Question-Answering Platforms. In Proceedings of the 21st Australasian Document Computing Symposium (ADCS '16). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 33-40.
- Wern Han Lim, and Saadat M. Alhashmi (2010). Joint Web-feature (JFEAT): A Novel Web Page Classification Framework. Communications of the IBIMA.
- Scholarly Teaching Fellow, Monash University Malaysia
- 2014-2018: Sessional Tutor and Lecturer, Monash University Malaysia
- 2017: Workshop Instructor, Malaysia GENOME Institute
- 2011-2014: Research Assistant, Monash University Malaysia
- Certified Statistical Analysis Systems (SAS) Base Programmer
- Member, Association of Computing Machinery (ACM)