Dr Soon Lay Ki
Room No. 2-4-27
Tel: 03 5514 6026
Dr. Soon graduated with a Ph.D (Engineering) in Web Engineering from Soongsil University, Korea in 2009. Her main research interest is data mining, particularly text mining. Previously, she was a Senior Lecturer at Faculty of Computing and Informatics (FCI), Multimedia University. Dr. Soon was also the Deputy Dean (Research and Innovation) of FCI from March 2016 to August 2018. To date, she has graduated six Ph.D and two Master students. Dr. Soon was a Research Fellow in Telekom Malaysia R&D on database optimisation project. Besides teaching in university, she has also conducted courses on Relational Database and NoSQL Database to corporate employees.
- Ph.D in Engineering (Web Engineering), Soongsil University, Korea, 2009
- Master of Science (Database), Universiti Putra Malaysia, 2002
- Bachelor of Computer Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 1999
- FIT3161 - Computer Science Project
- Data Mining, Text Mining
- Information Retrieval
Selected Journal Publications:
- Chua, C. C., Lim, T. Y., Soon, L. K., Tang, E. K., & Ranaivo-Malançon, B. (2017). Meaning preservation in Example-based Machine Translation with structural semantics. Expert Systems with Applications, 78, 242-258.
- Tan, S. S., Lim, T. Y., Soon, L. K., & Tang, E. K. (2016). Learning to extract domain-specific relations from complex sentences. Expert Systems with Applications, 60, 107-117.
- Khong, W. H., Soon, L. K., & Goh, H. N. (2015). A Comparative Study of Statistical and Natural Language Processing Techniques for Sentiment Analysis. Jurnal Teknologi, 77(18).
- Goh, H. N., Soon, L. K., & Haw, S. C. (2015). Automatic discovery of person-related named-entity in news articles based on verb analysis. Multimedia Tools and Applications, 74(8), 2587-2610.
- Lim, L. T., Soon, L. K., Lim, T. Y., Tang, E. K., & Ranaivo-Malançon, B. (2014). Lexicon+ TX: rapid construction of a multilingual lexicon with under-resourced languages. Language Resources and Evaluation, 48(3), 479-492.
- Selvaganesan, S., Haw, S. C., & Soon, L. K. (2014). Effective XML Keyword Search Using Dual Indexing Technique. Information Technology Journal, 13(4), 643-651.
- Selvaganesan, S., Haw, S. C., & Soon, L. K. (2014). XDMA: A Dual Indexing and Mutual Summation Based Keyword Search Algorithm for XML Databases.International Journal of Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, 24(04), 591-615.
- Goh, H. N., Soon, L. K., & Haw, S. C. (2013). Automatic dominant character identification in fables based on verb analysis–Empirical study on the impact of anaphora resolution. Knowledge-Based Systems, 54, 147-162.
Selected Conference Publications (2014 onward):
- Govinda Pillai, S., Son L.-K., Haw S.C. (2018) Comparing DBPedia, Wikidata and YAGO for Web Information Retrieval. To appear in Springer Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems Series.
- Bakar, A. A., Soon, L. K., & Goh, H. N. (2017, November). An Exploratory Study on Latent-Dirichlet Allocation Models for Aspect Identification on Short Sentences. In International Conference on Computational Science and Technology (pp. 314-323). Springer, Singapore.
- Rakib, T. B. A., & Soon, L. K. (2018, March). Using the Reddit Corpus for Cyberbully Detection. In Asian Conference on Intelligent Information and Database Systems (pp. 180-189). Springer, Cham.
- Tee, J. Y. J., Soon, L. K., & Ting, C. Y. (2015, August). Structural Analyses of Malaysian Web and Host Graphs. In Future Internet of Things and Cloud (FiCloud), 2015 3rd International Conference on (pp. 443-450). IEEE.
- Subramaniam, S., Haw, S. C., & Soon, L. K. (2014, November). ReLab: A subtree based labeling scheme for efficient XML query processing. In Telecommunication Technologies (ISTT), 2014 IEEE 2nd International Symposium on (pp. 121-125). IEEE.
- Tan, S. S., Lim, T. Y., Soon, L. K., & Tang, E. K. (2014, November). Learning to Match Heterogeneous Structures using Partially Labeled Data. In Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Web-scale Knowledge Representation Retrieval & Reasoning (pp. 45-48). ACM.
- Tan, S. S., Soon, L. K., Lim, T. Y., Tang, E. K., & Loo, C. K. (2014, November). Learning the Mapping Rules for Sentiment Analysis. In Proceedings of the 5th International Workshop on Web-scale Knowledge Representation Retrieval & Reasoning (pp. 19-22). ACM.
- Saee, S., Soon, L. K., Lim, T. Y., Ranaivo-Malançon, B., Juk, J., & Tang, E. K. (2014, October). Automatic acquisition of morphological resources for Melanau language. In Asian Language Processing (IALP), 2014 International Conference on (pp. 203-206). IEEE.
- External Thesis Examiner for Master of Science, Faculty of Science, University of Malaya, 2018
- IEEE Senior Member
- Track Chair for the 6th and 7th International Conference on Information and Communication Technology (ICOICT)
- Conducted training on Relational and NoSQL Database [for Khazanah SL1M Training (March – May 2017); TM Malaysia (March 2016); DreamCatcher Consulting Sdn. Bhd. (ongoing); MaGIC, Cyberjaya (March 2016); etc.]
- Research Fellow at TM R&D on Database Optimisation for Fraud Detection System (CLIFF) (December 2015 – May 2016)
- External Examiner of Diploma courses of Linton University College (December 2014 – November 2016)