Dr Ahmad Munir Qureshi
Jeffrey Cheah School of Medicine & Health Sciences
Tel: +607 219 0600 ext: 670
Office: Clinical School, JB
Occupational health, public health
- Graduate Certificate in Higher Education, Monash University Australia (2015)
- Master of Community Health Science (Occupational Health), UKM (National University of Malaysia), Malaysia, 2006
Title of Masters Thesis: Low Back Pain among Cargo Handlers at Kuala-Lumpur International Airport
- MBBS, Punjab University (Rawalpindi Medical College), Pakistan, 1986
2012 to date Senior Lecturer – Occupational and Environmental Medicine, Monash University, Clinical School, Johor Bahru, Johor.
2009–2012 Lecturer – Community Medicine & Public Health, Cyberjaya Univ. College of Medical, Cyberjaya.
2008–2009 Medical Officer - Dept of Family Medicine, Univ Kebangsaan Malaysia Hospital, Kuala Lumpur. October 2008 – May 2009
2007–2008 Senior Lecturer – Community Medicine, Shifa College of Medicine, Islamabad, Pakistan. February 2007 – July 2008
2003–2004 Medical Officer - Department of Family Medicine, U.K.M. Hospital, Kuala Lumpur.
2001–2003 Medical Officer – Department of Emergency Medicine, U.K.M. Hospital, Kuala Lumpur.
2000–2001 Lecturer- Pathology, Shifa College of Medicine, Islamabad. October 2000 – July 2001
1998–2001 Medical Officer - Nasreen Hospital, Satellite Town, Rawalpindi, Pakistan.
1997–1998 Medical Officer – Gen. Medicine, Gen. Surgery, Pediatrics & Orthopedics, University Hospital, K. Lumpur.
1995–1997 Medical Officer - Blood Bank, University Hospital, Kuala-Lumpur.
1989–1995 Medical Officer - Nasreen Hospital, Satellite Town, Rawalpindi.
1988–1989 Medical Officer – Basic Health Unit, Hanesar, Punjab Health Department, Pakistan.
1987–1988 House Officer – General Medicine, Holy Family Hospital, Rawalpindi.
1987–House Officer – General Surgery, Rawalpindi General Hospital, Rawalpindi.
Membership of Professional Associations
- Life Member Pakistan Medical Association: Rawalpindi- Islamabad Branch
- Member Rawalpindi Medical University Alumini
- Member Malaysian Medical Association.
- Member Malaysian Society of Occupational Environment Medicine.
- Coordinator Public Health Curriculum for 2ndyear MBBS, CUCMS
- Co-Coordinator Research and Evidence Based Medicine for 4thyear MBBS, CUCMS
- Organized Factory Walk through Surveys for 3rdyear MBBS, CUCMS
- Mentored undergraduate medical students in Affective Domain, CUCMS
- Mentoring Year 3 MBBS students, Monash Univ Malaysia
Occupational, Environmental & Public Health
PBLs, EBCP, Ocp Med, Env Med & HEP
- Visiting lecturer-Occupational Health & Safety; National University of Science & Technology, Islamabad, Pakistan, for Occupational Health, Safety & Environment Diploma Course (48 contact hours), at the Professional Development Center, NUST - June 2008
- Teaching Occupational and Environmental Medicine, EBCP, medical PBLs and HEP to year 3 MBBS students at Monash University, Clinical School, Johor Bahru.
- Taught undergraduate Preventive Medicine (Community Medicine & Public Health) curriculum including Bio-stats, Epidemiology & basics of Occupational Health to medical students’ in form of lectures, small group sessions, PBLs and tutorials
- Appointment at Cyberjaya University College of Medical Sciences involved teaching Community Medicine, Public Health and Occupational Health to undergraduate medical, pharmacy and TCM students in form of lectures, PBLs, tutorials and Scholars Collaboration in Teaching and Learning. Contributed EMQs, SAQs and MCQs for students’ assessments.
- Taught history taking skills and clinical methods to undergraduate medical students in Clinical Correlation Course
Experience as Examiner
- Examiner formative and summative OSCEs, EBCP for year 3 MBBS and BMedSci students at Monash University Malaysia, Clinical School, Johor Bahru
- Have examined undergraduate medical students in Community Medicine; written, oral examinations and walkthrough survey reports
- Examined history taking and clinical skills of undergraduate medical students in OSCE
- Marked written exams of Research and Evidence Based Medicine
“Awareness and Knowledge of Breast Cancer and Mammography among a Group of Malaysian Women in Shah Alam”; published in “Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention”Vol. 12, Issue 10: 2531-8. January 2011
“Asbestos Use and Asbestos-Related Diseases in Asia: Past, Present and Future”; published in “Respirology”; Journal of Asia Pacific Society of Respirology, Vol. 16, Issue 5: 767-775. March 2011
“Prevalence and Determinants of Low Back Pain among Taxi Drivers in Malaysia”; published in“Journal of Advanced Medical Research” Vol.2, No.4, 129-143. December 2012.
“Social and Psychological Factors Affecting Eating Habits among University Students in a Malaysian Medical School; A Cross-sectional Study”; published in BMC “Nutrition Journal” Vol 11, No 48. July 2012.
“Enhancing Students’ Learning about Healthy Living through Community Participation”; published in “Open Journal of Preventive Medicine”Vol 4: 771-778. Oct 2014.
“Socio-Demography and Medical History as Predictors of Health-Related Quality of Life of Breast Cancer Survivors”; published in “Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention”Vol 16 No.4 1479-1485. March 2015.
“Psychological Factors and Quality of Life of Breast Cancer Survivors”. Today’s Universities: Combining Rigour with Relevance. 3rd Dubai International Conference in Higher Education. Michigan State University, Brown Walker Press USA 2015
“The Relationship between Risky Work Behaviors and Self-Reported Knee Pain among Malaysian Railway Workers”; published in “British Journal of Medicine and Medical Research”Vol 10, No. 3: 1-9. Aug 2015.
“Factors associated with Anxiety and Depression among Outpatients in Malaysia; A Cross-Sectional Study”; published in Malaysian Journal of Public Health Medicine Vol 16 (3): 181- 187. Sept 2016.
“The impact factor of an open access journal does not contribute to an article’s citations” published in F1000 Research Vol 6: 208. March, 2017.
“Global Economic Burden of Asbestos Related Diseases in Comparison with the Costs of Production and Consumption” published in Malaysian Journal of Public Health Medicine, Vol 17 (1): 111-125. May 2017.
“Teaching Evidence Based Medicine to fourth year medical students at Cyberjaya University College of Medical Sciences, Malaysia” published in Education in Medicine Journal, Vol 9, No 3. Sept 2017.
“A Review of the Occupational and Environmental Health Hazards of Bauxite Mining in Malaysia” published in the proceeding of the 3rd International Conference on Public Health, Vol. 3, 2016, pp. 1-14. Dec 2017.
“Environmental and Occupational Health Impact of Bauxite Mining in Malaysia; A Review” published in International Medical Journal Malaysia, Vol 16, No 2. Dec, 2017.
WHO Technical Reports
WHO Toolkit for Elimination of Asbestos Related Diseases, Chapter 4; Economic Cost/Burden Incurred by Asbestos Exposure and ARDs. Assessment of Asbestos Production and Consumption with Associated Health and Economic Burden. Nov 2013
WHO Report on the Status of Asbestos in Asian Countries, Part II – National Asbestos Profile of Malaysia.Nov 2012
Conference Paper/Poster Presentations
“Prevalence of Accidental Home Injuries among 5-14 Years Old Children at Village Tarlai, Islamabad”, at National Health Symposium and Workshop on Injury in Developing World.Karachi, Pakistan. August, 2008.
“Economic Burden of Asbestos Related Diseases” at 3rd Asian Asbestos Initiative - International Seminar, Fukuoka, Japan. Nov 2010
”Social and Psychological Factors Affecting Eating Habits among University Students in a Malaysian Medical School; A Cross-sectional Study” at 9th Allied Health Scientific Conference, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Sept 2012
“Asbestos Use and Health Risks in Developing Countries” at 5thAsian Asbestos Initiative - International Seminar, Busan, Korea. Nov 2012.
”Psychological Factors and Quality of Life of Breast Cancer Survivors” at 3rd Dubai International Conference in Higher Education, Dubai, UAE. Feb 2015.
”Health and Economic Burden Assessment of Asbestos Related Diseases by Applying Global Consumption-Production Model” at Asian Pacific Organization for Cancer Prevention-8, Brisbane, Australia. April 2016.
”Zika as a recent Public Health Problem; Workplace Prevention and Vector Control Measures” at 5th International Conference on Major Incidence and Disaster Management. Melaka, Malaysia. Oct 2016.
“A Review of Occupational and Environmental Health Hazards of Bauxite Mining in Malaysia” at 3rd International Conference on Public Health (ICOPH) 2017. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. July 2017.
“A Prevalence Study of Low Back Pain among Cargo Handlers at a Malaysian International Airport” at 4th International Conference on Public Health (ICOPH) 2018. Bangkok, Thailand. July 2018.
- Co-supervising Bachelor of Medical Science student’s project at Monash University Malaysia ,Clinical School, Johor Bahru
- Supervised research projects of 3rd & 4th year medical students at Shifa College of Medicine, Islamabad, Pakistan.
Honours and Awards
- 2018 – Session Best Presentation Award (Occupational & Environmental Health) International Conference on Public Health
- 2018 – Chaired a session (Promoting Quality and Safety in Health Care towards Healthy Communities) at International Conference on Public Health in Bangkok
- 1979 –Rawalpindi Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education Merit Scholarship- HSC
- 1975 – District Jhelum Inter-school General Knowledge Competition: Second Position- Individual and Team Events.
- Worked on an international project; “Health Burden of Asbestos Related Diseases” as part of Monash University community service to prevent asbestos related morbidity and mortality by promoting its ban in Asia. As a result of these efforts Hong Kong has banned asbestos in 2014.
- Spoke at a workshop on ‘Psychosocial Issues of Breast Cancer Survivors’ at Breast Cancer Support Group, Johor Bahru under Monash University’s local community service
- Planning a workshop on ‘Financial and Work Related Issues’of Breast Cancer Survivors at Breast Cancer Support Group, Johor Bahru under Monash University’s local community service
- Supervised Community Health Intervention Programs; conducted by 3rd year medical students of Cyberjaya University College of Medical Sciences for imparting health education and its promotion in various communities of district Sepang, Selangor.