Dr Devi Mohan
Jeffrey Cheah School of Medicine & Health Sciences
Tel: +603 5515 9658
Office: Room 4-4-67
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-0898-2729
Dr Devi Mohan is a Senior Lecturer in Global Public Health,Jeffrey Cheah School Medicine and Health Sciences since 2015. She is a public health physician and epidemiologist with MBBS and MD in Community Medicine. While in Monash she also completed the Graduate Certificate in Higher Education (GCHE). She coordinates and teaches public health modules in the medical program. She also teaches research methodology and bio-statistics for other graduate and post graduate programs.
Dr Devi Mohan is a public health researcher with special interest and expertise in ageing. Her main research focus is geriatric neuro-epidemiology including dementia and cognitive impairment. Her current projects are undertaken in South East Asian Community Observatory, demographic health surveillance site under the University, where she leads the ageing, frailty and cognition research cluster. She is member of NIHR global health group on dementia prevention and enhanced care, aimed at developing dementia risk reduction approaches and sustainable dementia care pathways. She works extensively with international collaborators from UK, India and Malaysia, and Ministry of Health, Malaysia on projects related to ageing. She is also a member of Monash Dementia Network and Malaysian Global Health Consortium.
Before joining Monash, Dr Devi Mohan was an Assistant Professor of Community Medicine in India, and has guided more than fifteen medical graduate research projects on public health. She has also worked as a primary care physician in the Ministry of Health in India. She is a registered medical practitioner of Indian Medical Council, member of Indian Medical Association and Indian Association of Preventive and Social Medicine. She has also worked actively in evaluation and training of various national health programs in India.
MBBS(India), MD (India), GCHE (Monash)
Research & Education Interests
- Cognitive impairment
- Public health
- Epidemiology of NCDs
- Demographic health surveillance site
Reidpath, D. D., Soyiri, I., Jahan, N. K., Mohan, D., Ahmad, B., Ahmad, M. P., ... & Allotey, P. (2018). Poor glycaemic control and its metabolic and demographic risk factors in a Malaysian community-based study. International journal of public health, 63(2), 193-202.
Gopakumar, S., Scaria, S., Thomas, A., Nujum, Z. T., & Mohan, D. (2018). Investigation of fever in the eastern borders of Kollam district, Kerala, India. International Journal Of Community Medicine And Public Health, 5(6), 2243-2247.
Cheong WL, Mohan D, Warren N and Reidpath DD (2018) Multiple Sclerosis in the Asia Pacific Region: A Systematic Review of a Neglected Neurological Disease. Front. Neurol. 9:432. doi: 10.3389/fneur.2018.00432
Mohan D, Stephan BCM, Allotey P, et al Protocol of a feasibility study for cognitive assessment of an ageing cohort within the Southeast Asia Community Observatory (SEACO), Malaysia BMJ Open 2017;7:e013635. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2016-013635
Reidpath, D. D., Jahan, N. K., Mohan, D., & Allotey, P. (2016). Single, community-based blood glucose readings may be a viable alternative for community surveillance of HbA1c and poor glycaemic control in people with known diabetes in resource-poor settings. Global health action, 9(1), 31691.
Iype M, Kunju PM, Saradakutty G, Mohan D, Khan SA. The early Electroclinical manifestations of infantile spasms: A video EEG study. Ann Indian Acad Neurol 2016;19:52-7
Mary Iype, Geetha S, PA Mohammed Kunju, Mohan D,MKC Nair, Babu George, Shahanaz AhamedM. Infantile Spasms: A prognostic evaluation. Ann Indian Acad Neurol 2015;18, Suppl S2:36
Mary Iype, Geetha S, PA Mohammed Kunju, Mohan D, MKC Nair, Babu George, Shahanaz Ahamed M .Infantile Spasms: A prognostic evaluation at the National conference of the Indian Academy of Neurology held at Agra on (October 2015)
Mohan D, Aavani. Determinants of cerebral palsy among children attending Child Development Centre, Thiruvananthapuram at the 7th National Conference on Students Medical Research, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala (2014)
Nujum ZT, Thomas A, Vijayakumar K, Nair RR, Pillai MR, Indu PS, Sundar S, Gopakumar S, Mohan D, Sudheeshkumar TK. Comparative performance of the probable case definitions of dengue by WHO (2009) and the WHO-SEAR expert group (2011). Pathog Glob Health. 2014 Mar; 108(2):103-10
Sreelakshmi PR, Arsha NS, Vijayakumar K, Mohan D, Sreelal TP, Balaji J.Mortality risk among tobacco users in a rural population of southern India: evidence from a cohort study. Natl Med J India. 2014 Jan-Feb; 27(1):9-11
Sanjeev Nair, Anitha Abraham, Reshmi Ramachandran, Mohan D, Raman V Kutty. Pattern and determinants of respiratory mortality in Kerala, South India. Int J Med. Public Health. 2014;4(4): 467-71
Mohan D, Saranya, Vitni F.Help seeking behavior in women with breast cancer in a tertiary care centre in Kerala at 40th Annual National Conference of IAPSM, Nagpur, India (February 2013)
Mohan D, Achu T, Soumya G,Vijayakumar K. Epidemiological investigation of Acute Febrile Illness in the borders of Thiruvananthapuram district at the 6th National Conference on Students Medical Research, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala (January 2013)
Shabna, Seetharaman, Mohan D. Prevalence and awareness of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome among female college students in in Thiruvananthapuram; at National Conference on Students Medical Research, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala (2013)
National Institute of Health Research. “Global Health Groups- Dementia prevention and Enhanced Care”; £1,928,468.00; 2017- 2019
Monash University Malaysia Large Strategic Grant. “Heart health and cognitive decline in ageing populations: developing innovations in population based screening”; RM 199000; 2017-18
Monash University Faculty Strategic Grant. “Development of an implementation framework for community based breast cancer screening in the multi-ethnic population of Malaysia”; AUD 40,000; 2017-2018
Queen’s University Belfast Department of Economy. “Global Challenge Research Funds Award (GCRF)” £ 20,400; 2017
Monash University. Transforming Education through Trailblazing Innovations (TETI) 2017; ““Gamification: a tool for formative assessment in medical education”; RM 4000. 2017
Real-World Evidence Generation and Economic Evaluation for Healthcare Decision-Making on Alzheimer’s Disease Treatment in Thailand
Naleena Devi Muniandy
Infant Feeding Practices and the Early Origins of Obesity Risk
Cheong Wing Loong
Getting palliative care to multiple sclerosis patients – a critical examination of facilitators and barriers.
Beyond Measuring Health Care Quality: Using Amenable Mortality in a Data-challenged Setting
- Third prize at the Early Career Educators’ Forum -Transforming Education through Trailblazing Innovations (TETI) 2017, Monash University
- Best paper award for post graduate session in 7th Students National conference, Kerala, India, 2014
- Best paper award for post graduate session in 6th Students National conference, Kerala, India, 2013
- Best outgoing MBBS student of Dr SMCSI Medical, 2010, University of Kerala, India
- Gold Medalist in Physiology, 2010, University of Kerala, India
- DBT biology national Scholarship, 2003, Department of biotechnology, Ministry of Science and technology, Government of India
Abstracts and Scientific Presentations at National and International Conferences
- Mary Iype, Geetha S, PA Mohammed Kunju, Devi M, MKC Nair, Babu George, Shahanaz Ahamed M Infantile Spasms: A prognostic evaluation at the National conference of the Indian Academy of Neurology held at Agra on (October 2015)
- Devi M, Aavani. Determinants of cerebral palsy among children attending Child Development Centre, Thiruvananthapuram at the 7th National Conference on Students Medical Research, Thiruvannathapuram, Kerala (2014)
- Devi M, Saranya, Vitni F.Help seeking behaviour in women with breast cancer in a tertiary care centre in Kerala at 40th Annual National Conference of IAPSM, Nagpur, India (February 2013)
- Devi M, Achu T, Soumya G,Vijayakumar K. Epidemiological investigation of Acute Febrile Illness in the borders of Thiruvananthapuram district at the 6th National Conference on Students Medical Research, Thiruvannathapuram, Kerala (January 2013)
- Shabna, Seetharaman, Devi M. Prevalence and awareness of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome among female college students in in Thiruvananthapuram; at National Conference on Students Medical Research, Thiruvannathapuram, Kerala (2013)