Dr Ngim Chin Fang
Associate Professor (Practice)
Jeffrey Cheah School of Medicine & Health Sciences
Tel: +607 219 0616
Office: Clinical School Johor Bahru
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-9417-273X
Dr Ngim Chin Fang was awarded the Equity and Merit Scholarship by the Australian International Development Assistant Bureau to study medicine at the University of New South Wales, Australia where she graduated with the Bachelor of Science (Med) and MBBS (Hon 1st Class) in 1996. She subsequently obtained her specialist degree in paediatrics, the MRCP (UK) in year 2001. Prior to joining Monash University as a full time academic staff, she served at the Malaysian Ministry of Health Hospitals (Melaka General Hospital and Johor Bahru Sultanah Aminah Hospital) as well as the Newham General Hospital in London.
Dr Ngim is a paediatrician with a passion in high quality teaching and research. She has a professional interest in medical education and paediatrics with particular interests in evidence synthesis, haemoglobinopathies and infectious disease. She has well-developed research skills with publications in international peer-reviewed journals including Cochrane reviews. Her leadership roles as the Children’s Health Chair and the Clinical Years Assessment Chair of the BMedSc/MD and MBBS program in Monash University Malaysia has led to the implementation of strategies to improve learning experiences and assessment practices.
- 2014 Graduate Certificate in Higher Education, Monash University
- 2001 MRCP(UK), Royal College of Physicians, UK.
- 1996 B.Sc (Med), M.B.B.S (First Class Honours), University of New South Wales, Australia
- Academy of Medicine, Malaysia (Member)
- Malaysian Paediatric Association (Life Member)
- Malaysian Medical Association (Life member)
- Monash Institute of Graduate Research (Member)
Research & Education
Since the Monash University Malaysia MBBS formally commenced in Clinical School Johor Bahru in 2007, Dr Ngim has provided educational leadership in establishing the program especially pertaining to Year 4 Children’s Health teaching. Besides teaching and coordinating the Malaysian Children’s Health program, she played an important role in curricular development and assessments across campuses as a member of the Children’s Health Management Group.
Dr Ngim was also involved in the development of an integrated case based learning to enhance inter-disciplinary horizontal integration, disability health and adolescent health teaching and a multi-media aided, simulation-based neonatal resuscitation workshop for Year 5 paediatric specialty rotation. These teaching innovations have received the Monash University Malaysia PVC Award for Teaching Excellence.
Dr Ngim was the Year 4 Assessment chair since 2012 and from year 2018, she coordinates assessments across year 3, 4 and 5 as the Clinical Years Assessment Chair in Monash University Malaysia. She is actively involved in the blueprinting, development, standard setting and benchmarking of assessments in the Monash University medical program as a member of the Assessment Working Group.
- Infectious disease with focus on dengue fever
- Medical Education
- Evidence Synthesis (Systematic Review)
Research-related skills and qualifications
- Statistical analysis: proficient in use of statistical tools including SPSS, Excel
- Monash University Institute of Graduate Research membership (2014)
- Good Clinical Practice (GCP) accredited (2008)
Teaching / Education Commitment in Monash
- Clinical Years Assessment Chair
- Children’s Health Chair
- Year 4 Assessment Working Group Co-Chair
- Children’s Health Management Group
Peer Reviewed Full Papers
SSSW Peter, SS Hassan, VPK Tan, CF Ngim, NAA Adnan, LY Pong, and A Dhanoa. Admission Clinicopathological Factors Associated with Prolonged Hospital Stay Among Hospitalized Patients with Dengue Viral Infections. Vector-Borne and Zoonotic Diseases.Jul 2019.549-552.
CF Ngim, H Ibrahim, N Abdullah, NM Lai, RKM Tan, CS Ng, A Ramadas. A web-based educational intervention module to improve knowledge and attitudes towards thalassaemia prevention in Malaysian young adults. Med J Malaysia Vol 74 (3) June 2019 219-225
CF Ngim, MY Lee, N Othman, SM Lim, CS Ng, A Ramadas (2019): Prevalence and Risk Factors for Cardiac and Liver Iron Overload in Adults with Thalassemia in Malaysia, Hemoglobin, DOI: 10.1080/03630269.2019.1599906
Liew JK, Cheong XP, Law L, Teo WH, Eng SS, Ngim CF, Ramadas A. Prevalence and Factors Associated with Hypertension among Adolescents in Malaysia. International Medical Journal Malaysia. Apr 2019 (18) 55-63
Tan VPK, Ngim CF, Lee EZ, Ramadas A, Pong LY, Ng JI, Hassan SS, Ng XY, Dhanoa A. (2018) The association between obesity and dengue virus (DENV) infection in hospitalised patients. PLoS ONE 13(7): e0200698. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0200698
Lim RZM, Lee T, Ng JYZ, Quek KF, Abdul Wahab N, Amansah SL, Vellusamy VMA, Ngim CF. Factors associated with ultrasound-guided water enema reduction for pediatric intussusception in resource-limited setting: potential predictive role of thrombocytosis and anemia. Journal of Paediatric Surgery, 2018. 53:2312–2317 DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2018.01.004
Ngim CF, Lai NM, Hong JYH, Tan SL, Ramadas A, Muthukumarasamy P, Thong MK. Growth hormone therapy for people with thalassaemia. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2017, Issue 9. Art. No.: CD012284. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD012284.pub2
Lai NM, Ahmad Kamar A, Choo YM, Kong JY, Ngim CF. Fluid supplementation for neonatal unconjugated hyperbilirubinaemia. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2017, Issue 8. Art No: CD011891. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD011891.pub2
Dhanoa A, Rajasekaram G, Hassan SS, Ramadas A, Azreen Adnan NA, Lau CF, Chan TS, Ngim CF. Risk factors and clinical outcome of profound thrombocytopenia in adult patients with DENV infections. Platelets. 2017 Mar 12:1-4.
CS Ng, S Arulanantham, JJ Khoo, S Sabaratnam, YF Lee, CF Ngim, Skill validation study on sentinel lymph node biopsy in breast cancer and the challenges of false-negative, intransit and micrometastatic nodes. Med J Malaysia Vol 71 (5) October 2016 275-281.
SE Choon, CF Ngim, P Supramaniam, KE Tey, NN Madhavan Clinico-epidemiological profile, including body mass index, of Malaysian children with psoriasis. Med J Malaysia Vol 71 No 4 August 2016 171-6.
Dhanoa A, Hassan SS, Ngim CF, Lau CF, Chan TS, Adnan NA, Eng WW, Gan HM, Rajasekaram G. Impact of dengue virus (DENV) co-infection on clinical manifestations, disease severity and laboratory parameters. BMC Infectious Diseases. 2016 Aug 11;16(1):1. (FOR code 110309)
Tan JA, Kho SL, Ngim CF, Chua KH, Goh AS, Yeoh SL, George E. DNA studies are necessary for accurate patient diagnosis in compound heterozygosity for Hb Adana (HBA2: c. 179> A) with deletional or nondeletional α-thalassaemia. Scientific reports. 2016 Jun 8;6:26994.(FOR 110311)
Ngim CF, Lai NM, Hong JY, Tan SL, Ramadas A, Muthukumarasamy P, Thong MK. Growth hormone therapy for people with thalassaemia.(Protocol) Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. 2016 DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD012284
Lai NM, Ahmad Kamar A, Choo YM, Kong JY, Ngim CF. Fluid supplementation for neonatal unconjugated hyperbilirubinaemia (Protocol). Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2015, Issue 9. Art. No.: CD011891. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD011891.
CF Ngim, H Ibrahim, NM Lai, CS Ng A single centre study on birth of children with transfusion-dependent thalassaemia in Malaysia and reasons for ineffective prevention. Prenatal Diagnosis, 2014; 35, 51–59. doi 10.1002/pd.4484
Ngim CF, Quek KF, A Dhanoa, Khoo JJ, Vellusamy M, Ng CS. Paediatric appendicitis in a developing country: What are the predictors and outcome of perforation? Journal of Tropical Paediatrics 2014; 60(6):409-14 doi: 10.1093/tropej/fmu037
Ngim CF, Ng CS, Lai NM. Post-transfusion Hypertension and Seizure in Congenital Hemolytic anemia: A Case Report and Literature Review. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics 2014; doi: 10.1093/tropej/fmu003
Ngim CF, Lai NM, H Ibrahim. Counselling for prenatal diagnosis and termination of pregnancy due to thalassemia major: A survey of health care workers practices in Malaysia. Prenatal Diagnosis, 2013: 33, (13):1226-32
Ngim CF, Lai NM, Ibrahim H, Ratnasingam V. Attitudes towards prenatal diagnosis and abortion in a multi-racial country: A survey among parents of children with thalassemia major in Malaysia. Journal of Community Genetics 2013; 4(2) 215-221.
Warid MN, Supriyanto E, Yahya A, Bal P, Yunus J, Bah MN, Fang NC. User Requirement Analysis: Online Thalassemia Management System for Hospital Sultanah Aminah, Malaysia. Journal of Advanced Research in Social and Behavioural Sciences. 2018;11(1):62-7. (presented at 1st International Graduate Conference on Emerging Trends in Multidisciplinary Approaches (IGCETMA-2018) 16-18 February 2018, Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Johor Bahru, Malaysia)
Khoo, J. J., Ng, C. S., Sabaratnam, S., Arulanantham, S., Lee, Y. F., & Ngim, C. F. “Detection Of Micro-Metastases By Serial Sectioning And Immuno-Histochemical Validation Of Sentinel Nodes In Patients With Breast Carcinoma.” Pathology-Journal of the RCPA 2015, 47, S66.
Bal P, Shamsir S, Warid N, Yahya A, Yunus J, Supriyanto E, CF Ngim, MHealth application: “Mobile thalassemia patient management application” , Biomedical Engineering and Sciences (IECBES), 2014 IEEE Conference pp.792,796, 8-10 Dec 2014, doi:10.1109/IECBES.2014.7047618 (Conference paper)
CF Ngim, NM Lai, V Ratnasingam et al. Enhancing Horizontal Interdisciplinary Integration among Year 4 Medical Students using Case-Based Learning. Medical Education 2013 ; 47 Supplement s2; 8
Awards (Education and Research)
- Equity and Merit Scholarship by the Australian International Development Assistant Bureau (1991-1996) for undergraduate medical studies in Australia
- Monash University Malaysia PVC Award for Teaching Excellence (2010) for “Innovations in teaching Newborn Resuscitation for final year medical students in Monash University Malaysia.”
- Monash University Malaysia PVC Award for Teaching Excellence (2012) “Enhancing Horizontal Inter-disciplinary Integration In Monash University MBBS Year 4”
- Monash University Malaysia PVC award for Academic Service (2012) for “Provision of a valuable clinical service and integration with teaching and research highly relevant to the Malaysian community”
- Monash University Malaysia PVC Award for Academic service (2012) “Enhancing Disability Health Teaching”
- Best Poster Award (2012) - Ngim CF, Lai NM, Ibrahim H, Ratnasingam V. Genetic Counselling Regarding Antenatal Diagnosis and Abortion for Thalassemia: A Survey among Malaysian Health Care Workers. 10th Asia Pacific Conference on Human Genetics.
- Best Oral Presentation Award (2013 ) CF Ngim, NM Lai, V Ratnasingam, Z Karbassi, S Thurairajasingam, NADominic 10th Asia Pacific Medical Education Conference (APMEC) “Enhancing Horizontal Interdisciplinary Integration Among Year Four Medical Students Using Case-Based Learning” Singapore
- Best Poster Award (2017) RZM Lim, T Lee, JYZ Ng, M Vellusamy, N Abdul Wahab, S Amansah, CF Ngim. A Single-Center Retrospective Study on Intussusception in Malaysian Pediatric Population: Factors Associated with the Outcome of Ultrasound Guided Hydrostatic Reduction, Johor Trauma Conference
- Best Poster Award (2019) Cheong XP, Liew JK, Law L, TeoWH, Eng SS, Ngim CF, Ramadas A “Prevalence and factors associated with hypertension among adolescents in Malaysia” 16th Annual Congress of Hypertension 2019, Malaysia.