Dr Paul Ling Kah Hing
Tel: +607 219 0611
Dr Ling Kah Hing is a senior lecturer at Clinical School Johor Bahru, Monash University Malaysia, specialising in internal medicine. Dr Ling graduated from the University of Nottingham, United Kingdom with an intercalated degree (Bachelor of Medical Sciences 1st Class 1995, Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery Honours 1997). After his housejobs and various medical officers posting in UK, he obtained his postgraduate degree, Membership of the Royal College of Physician, London in April 2000. He commenced his cardiology training in August 2000 under the Welsh Deanery Specialist Registrar Scheme based in the University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff and was exposed to various aspects of cardiology including interventional cardiology which is his area of interest. He returned to Malaysia and commenced work in the cardiology department, Hospital Sultanah Aminah, Johor Bahru in March 2003 and was gazetted as a consultant physician by the Malaysian Ministry of Health in December 2004 and a consultant cardiologist in March 2005. He joined Monash University Clinical School in Johor Bahru as Senior Lecturer in General Medicine in February 2007.
He is the primary investigator for the following: multicentre randomized trials (OASIS trial, EXTRACT TIMI 25 trial). He is co-investigator in other interventional cardiology trials, databases and registries. He is actively involved in teaching clinical medicine and cardiology to nurses, elective medical students, fellow doctors sitting for membership and GP’s. He is an instructor and course co-organiser of the Advanced Cardiac Life Support courses organized by the Cardiac Resuscitation Society in Johor Bahru.
- Bachelor of Medical Sciences with Honours
- Bachelor of Medicine Bachelor of Surgery
- Member of Royal College of Physician (London)
- Malaysian Medical Council
- National Heart Association Malaysia
- Malaysian Cardiovascular Intervention Society General Medical Council, United Kingdom Royal College of Physician London, UK National Specialist Register, Malaysia
- Gazetted General Physician, Ministry of Health Malaysia
- Gazetted Cardiologist, Ministry of Health Malaysia
- Accredited Consultant Cardiologist, National Specialist Register, Malaysia.
BACHELOR OF MEDICAL SCIENCE RESEARCH
Bachelor of Medical Science project in Microbiology studying the pattern of Respiratory Syncytial Virus epidemic in pediatric patients presenting to Queen's Medical Centre, Nottingham from 1992 to 1994 as part of my undergraduate studies.
This research project was conducted under the auspices of the Microbiology and Paediatrics department in Queen’s Medical Centre, Nottingham. This research opportunity has given me an insight into the principles of research and a greater appreciation of basic sciences and the use of evidence-based medicine in clinical practice.
Participation in various audits, such as:
- The use of low molecular weight heparin (tinzaparin) in the treatment of deep vein thrombosis in Derbyshire Royal Infirmary, Derby, United Kingdom
- The care of patients newly diagnosed with lung cancer in the Welsh valley, United
- Kingdom during 1998.
- The National Audit of Myocardial Infarction (NAOMI) in response to the National
- Service Framework for Heart Disease, United Kingdom
- The care and outcome of patients presenting with acute chest pain to Morriston Cardiac
- Centre, Swansea, United Kingdom in 2001.
- These projects were presented at various regional health care meetings. (Welsh and Midlands deaneries general healthcare meetings)
Interventional cardiology and pharmalogical re-perfusion of ST elevation myocardial infarction.
ONGOING CLINICAL TRIALS WITH MONASH RESEARCH HOUSE AS PRIMARY INVESTIGATOR
- ADOPT study - A Phase 3 Randomized, Double-blind, parallel- group, Multi-center Study of the Safety and Efficacy of Apixiban for prophylaxis of Vebous Thromboembolism in acutely ill medical subjects during and following hospitalization - Primary Investigator
- DEFINE study - A Multicenter, Randomized, Doub1e-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, 76-Week Study to Evaluate the Efficacy & Safety of anacetrapib in high risk cardiac patients with hypercholesterolaemia or mixed hyperlipidaemia - Primary investigator
- A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled, 36-Week Study to Evaluate the Efficacy & Safety of Extended Release (ER) Niacin/Laropiprant in Patients with Type 2
- Diabetes Mellitus - Primary investigator
- A Multicenter, Randomized, Double-Blind, "Crossover" Design Study to Evaluate the
- Lipid-Altering fficacy and Safety ofMK-0524B Combination Tablet Compared to MK-
- 0524A + Simvastatin Co-administration in Patients with Primary Hypercholesterolemia and
- Mixed Dyslipidemia - Primary investigator
- A multicentre randomized double-blind study to evaluate the safety and efficacy of the initial therapy with co-administration of sitagliptin and pioglitazine in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus.- Co-Investigator
- A Phase lIb/III randomized placebo-controlled clinical trial to study the safety and efficacy of MK-0364 in overweight and obese patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus.- Co-Investigator.
- National Institute of Health - Metabolic Syndrome in Malaysia: Its Prevalence, Risk
- Factors and Its Clinical Application - Co-Investigator
ONGOING CLINICAL TRIALS WITH CARDIOLOGY DEPARTMENT HOSPITAL SULTANAH AMINAH, JOHOR BAHRU
CURRENT (OASIS 7) study- Clopidrogrel optimal loading dose usage to reduce recurrent events. A Randomized multinational double-blind study comparing a high loading dose regimen of clopidrogrel versus standard dose in patients with unstable angina or non ST-elevation myocardial infarction managed with an early invasive strategy.- Co-Investigator
Publications / Case Reports
- Prevalence of metabolic syndrome in Johor Bahru (as part of the NIH sponsor Malaysian Metabolic Syndrome Study) - poster presented in the National Association Diabetes Institute (NADI) 2008
- Pulmonary artery aneurysm associated with severe aortic stenosis - published Singapore medical journal 2009
- Sarcoidosis associated with complete heart block and cranial nerve palsy - published Ann Academy Singapore 2009
- Ezetimibe/simvastatin 10/40 mg versus atorvastatin 40 mg in high cardiovascular risk patients with primary hypercholesterolemia: a randomized, double-blind, active-controlled, multicenter studyPaul Kah Hing Ling, Fernando Civeira, Andrei Gheorghe Dan, Mary E Hanson, Rachid Massaad, Celine Le Bailly De Tilleghem, Christopher Milardo and Joseph Triscari Lipids in Health and Disease, 11:18 (31 Jan 2012)