Dr Yap Han Seong
Jeffrey Cheah School of Medicine & Health Sciences
Tel: +607 227 3901 / 227 3903
Office: Clinical School, JB
Dr Yap Han Seong is Senior Lecturer in Clinical Internal Medicine at Clinical School Johor Bahru, Monash University Malaysia. Dr Yap graduated from UKM in 1994, and was attached in Muar Hospital as an intern, medical officer and subsequently clinical specialist from 1994 till 2000. He underwent training in Glasgow Royal Infirmary from 1999 to 2000 in the area of clinical pharmacology. Dr Yap returned to serve Muar Hospital again after his membership exam in 2000. He joined his current centre of practice in 2002 as a consultant physician. Dr Yap is also a part time (freelance) pianist and music adjudicator in Johor Bahru. He used to teach pianoforte and music in Klang Valley in the 80s.
1990 B.Med.Sc (National University of Malaysia)
1994 MD (National University of Malaysia)
2000 MRCP (UK)
2012 FRCP (Edinburgh)
ATCL (1984), LTCL (1985) in piano performing from Trinity College of Music, London.
- Consultant physician, Yap Medical Specialist Clinic.
- Senior Lecturer in Clinical Internal Medicine, Monash University, Malaysia.
- Intern in Muar Hospital, finished rotations in internal medicine, surgery, orthopaedics, pediatrics and Ob & Gyn.
- Acquired skills in basic clinical procedures.
- House officer in the Department of Internal Medicine.
- Put in charge of an active medical ward, managing cases with the assistance of junior officers.
- Present cases to consultant during rounds.
- Supervising the medical training of junior officers.
- Participate in CME activities in and out of hospital.
- Collaborate with consultant in clinical research and writing papers.
- Did clinical attachments in Kuala Lumpur Hospital, Klang hospital and various hospitals in Singapore prior to the stint in UK.
- Pre-MRCP traning with Prof DH Lawson (now retired) at Glasgow Royal Infirmary. Underwent rotations in general medicine, dermatology, geriatrics and medical cardiology.
- Completed MRCP (UK)
- Clinical specialist (equivalent to registrar) in the department of internal medicine, Muar Hospital under Dr N. Nivedita, then consultant in medicine.
- Continued clinical work in the capacity of a clinical specialist.
- Training junior and senior house officers.
- Organizing in-house CME activities, pre-MRCP courses with the help of consultant.
- Provide support for the undergraduate education of medical students from local varsities and those abroad.
- Consultant physician in general medicine at my own private clinic, previously under Medical Specialist Centre, Johor Bahru.
- Run outpatient medical clinic, with active ward work.
- Participate in night calls, in rotation with other physicians.
- In charge of non-invasive cardiac lab, mainly stress ECG and echocardiogram.
- Continued with CME activities, on-line and otherwise.
- Started to assist Monash University in the training of their medical students, mainly the third year.
- Part-time senior lecturer in clinical medicine at Monash University Malaysian Campus.
- Taking two afternoon bedside sessions a week with year 3 students, in internal medicine.
- Involved in the exam committee.
- Examiner to their 3rd year final exam.
- Also involved in social counseling of the 3rd year students.
- For the last 3 years, I’ve also been involved in the training and mock exam for PACES (MRCP UK) candidates in HSAJB, organized by Dr Hooi, who has recently retired.
- Co-authored review articles (with Dr.N.Nivedita, FRCP) on bronchial asthma, diabetes mellitus and dengue fever in the local community.
- Epidemiological study of the presenting symptoms of dengue fever in Muar Hospital (Malaysian Medical Journal)
- Local survey of the diagnosis and inhalational technique of asthmatic patients in Muar Hosptial (Malaysian Medical Journal)
- Presenting symptoms of diabetes mellitus : in and out-patient survey for local consensus paper.
- Co-authored Emergency Medicine Handbook, Muar Hospital.