Dr Ng Khuen Yen
Dr. Ng completed his BSc in Monash University. He then pursued his Master study in University of New South Wales Australia. Later he undertook his PhD study in Neuroscience in the prestigious Neuroscience Research Australia. On 2010, Dr. Ng joined Monash University as a Lecturer in Physiology. Dr. Ng is actively involved in research and has received several major external research grants in his time. Dr. Ng has a broad interest in research: ranging from neurodegenerative diseases to tropical diseases. He is interested in investigating the pathophysiology of Parkinson ’s disease. Besides, he is also interested in investigating the therapeutic effects of traditional Chinese medicine such as edible bird nest. He is also the current advisor of Malaysian Parkinson’s Disease Association.
- Parkinson's disease
- Natural Product
- Bioactive compound
- Edible bird's nest
(A) SCHOLARLY JOURNALS
- Kasi R, Ng KY, Koh RY, Gnanajothy P, Chye SM (2016) para-Phenylenediamine induces apoptosis through activation of reactive oxygen species-mediated mitochondria pathway, and inhibition of the NF-κB, Wnt and mTOR pathways in human urothelial cells. Environ Toxicol doi: 10.1002/tox.22233. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lee SWH, Ng KY, Chin WK (2016) The impact of sleep amount and sleep quality on glycaemic control in type 2 diabetes: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Sleep Medicine Reviews doi:10.1016/j.smrv.2016.02.001
- Koh RY, Lim FP, Ling LSY, Ng CPL, Liew SF, Yew MY, Tiong YL, Ling APK, Chye DM, Ng KY (2016) Anticancer mechanisms of Strobilanthes crispa Blume hexane extract on liver and breast cancer cell lines. Oncology letters [In Press]
- Yap YJ, Omasanggar R, Koh YL, Yew MY, Lai HT, Ling APK, Chye SM, Ng KY, Koh RY (2016) Neurotoxic effect of salsolinol through oxidative stress induction and Nrf2-Keap1 signalling regulation. J Chem Pharm Res [In Press]
- Kasi R, Chye SM, Yip WK, Koh RY, Ng WC, Ng KY, Ponnudurai G, Seow HF (2015) para-Phenylenediamine-induces apoptosis via a pathway dependent on PTK-Ras-Raf-JNK activation but independent on PI3K/Akt pathway in NRK-52E cells. Mol Med Rep. 2015 Mar;11(3):2262-8. doi: 10.3892/mmr.2014.2979. Epub 2014 Nov 19
- Koh RY, Sim YC, Toh HJ, Liam LK, Ong RSL, Yew MY, Tiong YL, Ling APK, Chye SM, Ng KY (2015) Cytotoxic and apoptogenic effects of Strobilanthes crispa Blume extracts on nasopharyngeal cancer cells. Mol Med Rep. 2015 Jul 30. doi: 10.3892/mmr.2015.4152.
- Saravanan M, Ng KY, Yap CG, Moriya S, Chowdhury EH, Musa AF (2015) Influence of YouTube Videos on Learning Tablets and Capsule Formulation. Pharm Edu J. 15(1), 248-251
- Chye SM, Tiong YL, Yip WK, Koh RY, Len YW, Seow HF, Ng KY, Ranjit DA, Chen SC. (2014) Apoptosis induced by para-phenylenediamine involves formation of ROS and activation of p38 and JNK in chang liver cells. Environ Toxicol. Sep;29(9):981-90. doi: 10.1002/tox.21828. Epub 2012 Nov 22.
- Yew MY, Koh RY, Chye SM, Othman I, Ng KY (2014) Edible bird's nest ameliorates oxidative stress-induced apoptosis in SH-SY5Y human neuroblastoma cells. BMC Complement Altern Med. 14:391. doi: 10.1186/1472-6882-14-391.
- Chye SM, Low PY, Ng KY, Koh RY, Tiong YL, Reena K (2013) Downregulation of Protein Kinase CK2 and upregulation of tumor necrosis factor-Α modulate apoptosis and autophagy induced by para-phenylenediamine in Chang Liver Cells. W Acad Sci, Eng Tech v77-150.
(B) CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS (REFEREED ONLY)
- Ng KY, Smoothy V, Dedov V, Garner B, Halliday GM, Mackay-Sim A, Sue C, Double KL (2009) Decreased cholesterol in olfactory mucosa-derived cells from Parkinson’s Disease patients with leucine-rich repeat kinase 2 mutations Mov Dis, Vol. 24, Suppl. 1,S361.
- Ng KY, Smoothy V, Dedov V, Garner B, Halliday GM, Mackay-Sim A, Sue C, Double KL (2009) Decreased cholesterol in olfactory mucosal cells from Parkinson’s disease patients with leucine-rich repeat kinase 2 mutations. J Neurochem, Vol.110, Suppl.2, Pg 196. DOI: 10.1111/j.1471-4159.2009.06242.x.
- Member, Malaysian Society of Neurosciences
- Advisor, Malaysian Parkinson's disease Association