Dr. Ng Khuen Yen
Dr Ng completed his BSc in Monash University. He then pursued his MSc study in University of New South Wales. Later he undertook his PhD study in Neuroscience in the prestigious Neuroscience Research Australia. Dr Ng is actively involved in research and has received several major external research grants (MOSTI eScience Fund, ERGS, FRGS and MTSF Science & Technology grant ). He has a broad interest in research. He is interested in investigating many aspects of the pathophysiology of Parkinson ’s disease. Besides, Dr Ng is also interested in investigating the therapeutic effects of traditional Chinese medicine such as edible bird nest. He is also interested in conducting sleep-related studies (particularly on the physiological roles of melatonin). Dr Ng is the current advisor of Malaysian Parkinson’s Disease Association, and had organized two very successful international conferences 14th APSN Meeting 2016 and MYNEURO 2017 as part of the organizing committee of Malaysian Society of Neurosciences.
- Graduate Certificate in Higher Education, Monash University
- PhD (Neuroscience), UNSW Australia
- MSc, UNSW Australia
- BSc, Monash University
- Parkinson's disease
- Natural Product
- Edible bird's nest
- Bioactive compound
Scholarly Journals (Refereed Only)
SM Shee,RY Koh, KG Voon, SM Chye, I Othman, KY Ng. The roles of microRNA-331 Family in Cancers. Journal of Cancer Research and Practice. 2019 Jan 1;6(1):1.
MY Yew, RY Koh, SM Chye, I Othman, T Soga, I Parhar, KY Ng* (2018) Edible bird’s nest improves motor behavior and protects dopaminergic neuron against oxidative and nitrosative stress in Parkinson’s disease mouse model. Journal of Functional Foods Volume 48, Page 576–585.
SM Chye, KY Chia, KY Ng, RY Koh (2018) Single-chain Fv Antibodies for Targeting Neurodegenerative Diseases. CNS Neurol Disord Drug Targets. doi: 10.2174/1871527317666180315161626.
Chong FP, Ng KY, Koh RY, Chye SM (2018) Tau Proteins and Tauopathies in Alzheimer’s Disease. Cellular and Molecular Neurobiology. DOI:10.1007/s10571-017-0574-1. [available online].
Chye SM, Yeo BS, Yap YJ, Koh RY, Ng KY(2018) A review on the medicinal properties of Clinacanthus nutans. Trop J Pharm Res 17 (2): 375-382.
Lee SWH, Ng KY, Chin WK (2017) The impact of sleep amount and sleep quality on glycaemic control in type 2 diabetes: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Sleep Medicine Reviews. Volume 31, Pages 91-101.
Ng KY, Leong MK, Liang HZ, Paxinos G (2017) Melatonin Receptors: Distribution in mammalian brain and their respective putative functions. Brain Structure and Function Volume 222, Issue 7, pp 2921–2939.
Ng PY , Chye SM, Ng CH , Koh RY, Tiong YL, Pui LP, Tan YH, Lim CSY, Ng KY (2017) Clinacanthus nutans hexane extract induces apoptosis through caspases pathway in human cancer cell lines. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention 18(4):917-926.
Koh RY, Lim FP, Ling LSY, Ng CPL, Liew SF, Yew MY, Tiong YL, Ling APK, Chye DM, Ng KY (2017) Anticancer mechanisms of Strobilanthes crispa Blume hexane extract on liver and breast cancer cell lines. Oncology letters Volume 14, Issue 4, pp 4957-4964.
Tai SK, Koh RY, Ng KY, Chye SM (2017) A Mini Review on Medicinal Effects of Edible Bird's Nest. Letters in Health & Biological Sciences, volume 2, Issue 2. doi: 10.15436/2475-6245.17.016
Kasi R, Ng KY, Koh RY, Gnanajothy P, Chye SM (2016) para-Phenylenediamine induces apoptosis through activation of reactive oxygen species-mediated mitochondria pathway, and inhibition of the NF-κB, Wnt and mTOR pathways in human urothelial cells. Environ Toxicol Volume 32, Issue 1, Pages 265–277.
Chong HP, Kasi R, Ng KY, Koh RY, Ng CH, Chye SM. para-Phenylenediamine Containing Hair Dye: An Overview of Mutagenicity, Carcinogenicity and Toxicity (2016) Journal of environmental and analytical toxicology. 2016;6(5) DOI: 10.4172/2161-0525.1000403.
Yap YJ, Omasanggar R, Koh YL, Yew MY, Lai HT, Ling APK, Chye SM, Ng KY, Koh RY (2016) Neurotoxic effect of salsolinol through oxidative stress induction and Nrf2-Keap1 signalling regulation. J Chem Pharm Res. 8(5):30-38.
Kasi R, Chye SM, Yip WK, Koh RY, Ng WC, Ng KY, Ponnudurai G, Seow HF (2015) para-Phenylenediamine-induces apoptosis via a pathway dependent on PTK-Ras-Raf-JNK activation but independent on PI3K/Akt pathway in NRK-52E cells. Mol Med Rep. 2015 Mar;11(3):2262-8. doi:10.3892/mmr.2014.2979. Epub 2014 Nov 19.
Koh RY, Sim YC, Toh HJ, Liam LK, Ong RSL, Yew MY, Tiong YL, Ling APK, Chye SM, Ng KY (2015) Cytotoxic and apoptogenic effects of Strobilanthes crispa Blume extracts on nasopharyngeal cancer cells. Mol Med Rep. 2015 Jul 30. doi: 10.3892/mmr.2015.4152.
Saravanan M, Ng KY, Yap CG, Moriya S, Chowdhury EH, Musa AF (2015) Influence of YouTube Videos on Learning Tablets and Capsule Formulation. Pharm Edu. 15(1), 248-251.
Yew MY, Koh RY, Chye SM, Othman I, Ng KY (2014) Edible bird's nest ameliorates oxidative stress-induced apoptosis in SH-SY5Y human neuroblastoma cells. BMC Complement Altern Med. 14:391. doi: 10.1186/1472-6882-14-391.
Chye SM, Tiong YL, Yip WK, Koh RY, Len YW, Seow HF, Ng KY, Ranjit DA, Chen SC. (2014) Apoptosis induced by para-phenylenediamine involves formation of ROS and activation of p38 and JNK in chang liver cells. Environ Toxicol. Sep;29(9):981-90. doi: 10.1002/tox.21828. Epub 2012 Nov 22.
Ng KY, Smoothy V, Dedov V, Garner B, Halliday GM, Mackay-Sim A, Sue C, Double KL (2009) Decreased cholesterol in olfactory mucosal cells from Parkinson’s disease patients with leucine-rich repeat kinase 2 mutations. J Neurochem, Vol.110, Suppl.2, Pg 196. DOI: 10.1111/j.1471-4159.2009.06242.x.
Yeo PL, Chye SM, Koh RY, KGL Voon, Ng KY (2016) MiRNA-331-5p expression level is altered in neuronal cell under elevated oxidative stress. Front Cell Neurosci. doi: 10.3389/conf.fncel.2016.36.00119
Tiong YL, Chye SM, Koh RY, P Gnanajothy, Ng KY(2016) Melatonin protects against hyperglycemia-induced Schwann cells apoptosis through MTOR and Wnt signaling pathways. Front Cell Neurosci. doi: 10.3389/conf.fncel.2016.36.00176.
MOHE FRGS, (2010), Epidermal growth factor receptor-mediated rescue of down regulated aquaporin 3 in ultra violet -irradiated human keratinocytes by edible birdnest, RM 65,000
MOHE ERGS, (2011), Investigation of neurotrophic and neuroprotective effects of edible bird nest in Parkinson’s Disease models, RM 241,900
MTSF Sciencet & Research Grant, (2012), Role of melatonin in the regulation of neuromelanin synthesis, RM 25,000
MOSTI eScience Fund, (2013) The Role of Melatonin in Brain Iron Homeostasis and its Relevance to Parkinson’s Disease, RM 285,000
MOHE FRS, (2014) Investigation of the role of MiRNA-331-5p in apoptosis and dopamine synthesis in Parkinson’s disease model, RM 208,600
- Lai Hien Tat (PhD - Completed)
- Yew Mei Yeng (PhD - Completed)
- Leong Mun Kit (Honours, 1st Class - Completed)
- Reena A/P Kasi (MSc - Completed)
- Yeoh Pei Ling (MSc - Present)
- Tiong Yee Lian (PhD - Present)
- Yap Yiing Jye (PhD - Present)
- Advisor of Malaysian Parkison's Disease Association
- Member of Malaysian Society of Neurosciences
- Member of International Society of Neurochemistry
- Member of Movement Disorders Society
- Member of International Brain Research Organisation
- Member of Asian Pacific Society for Neurochemistry
Conference / Symposium / Seminar / Workshop Organisation
- Scientific Committee of 29th MSN Annual Meeting 2019
- Chairperson of JCSMHS/MPDA Seminar for Parkinson’s Disease 2018
- Instructior / Organizing Committee of International Brain Research Organisation (IBRO) Advance School of Neuroscience 2018
- Secretary of MYNEURO 2017
- Secretary of 14th Meeting of the Asian-Pacific Society for Neurochemistry (APSN) 2016
- Chairperson of Public forum for Parkinson's Disease 2011
- Journal of Neurochemistry
- Molecular Neurobiology
- Central Nervous System Agents in Medicinal Chemistry
- Current Alzheimer Research
- Journal of Parkinsonism and Restless Syndrome
- Clinical Interventions in Aging
- Neural Regeneration Research
- Journal of Food Science
- BMC Medical Education
- Drug Design, Development and Therapy
- Food and Function
- Cellular & Molecular Biology
- African Journal of Traditional, Complementary and Alternative Medicines
- International Journal of Molecular Medicine
- BAOJ orthopedics
- Applied Biochemistry and Biotechnology
- Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine
- Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention
- BMC Complementary & Alternative Medicine
- Clinical Pharmacology: Advances and Applications
- World Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine