Ms Sheril A. Bustaman
Ms Sheril A. Bustaman
School of Arts and Social Sciences
+603 5514 6366
Sheril A. Bustaman is a producer with 10 years of working experience. She began her filmmaking career under Monash’s Filmmaker-in-Residence program in 2012, and went on to work at several production houses between the years 2013 to 2016, before co-founding an online food directory startup FungryTV in 2017. She then joined Fat Bidin Sdn Bhd in 2018 as a partner and producer where she produces non-fiction content centered around conflict & counter narratives towards violence.
Sheril produced her first documentary Come Hell or High Water in 2013 also under Monash’s Filmmaker-in-Residence program that went on to screen at international film festivals such as the Kota Kinabalu International Film Festival (KKIFF) and the Bangkok International Film Festival (BIFF). She has produced several shows & documentaries on conflict such as Aku Bekas Extremis in collaboration with the Southeast Asia Regional Centre for Counter-Terrorism (SEARCCT) and Perempuan Radikal that premiered on Astro AWANI in 2021. She has also produced for international networks such as Deutsche Welle (Germany) and Quartz News (New York).
As a heavy practitioner in the industry, Sheril is also a frequent facilitator and trainer at workshops centered around counter-narratives, most recently facilitating a workshop under the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) on countering hate speech for youths. Sheril is also a freelance writer who frequently contributes to Calibre, a print magazine under the Public Mutual group and occasionally also writes reviews for Singaporean independent film website SINdie. Sheril’s focus is predominantly on counter narratives, but also is involved in work pertaining to gender & equality issues.
At Monash University Malaysia, Sheril is currently the Project Manager for the GCRF South-South Migration for Development and Equality Hub (MIDEQ) grant under Associate Professor Dr Yeoh Seng Guan where she manages all outputs & matters pertaining to the Malaysia-Nepal corridor of the grant.
Production Manager at Hubble Productions (2013)
Production Manager at Sunny Stories (2015)
Co-Founder & Project Manager at FungryTV (2017)
Partner & Producer at Fat Bidin Sdn Bhd (2018 till present)
Her areas of interest are security and strategic studies (traditional and non-traditional security issues), social issues, healthcare, Malaysia domestic politics and public policy.
Nepal- Malaysia Corridor, United Kingdom Research & Innovation (UKRI) Global
Challenge Research Fund (GCRF) South-South Migration, Inequality & Development Hub.
Yvonne received her secondary education at SMK Gombak Setia. She later furthered her tertiary education at National University of Malaysia (UKM), where she graduated with a Bachelor of Arts with Honours in History and Master of Social Science (Security and Strategic Analysis) at the same university.
- Oy Veil! in Little Baskets 2018 (print)
- Not For My Daughter in Rambutan Literary: Issue Four (digital)
- Film Review: Hail, Driver! on SINdie (digital)
- Sheer Will - debut zine (print)
- I AM short film (Director, Writer) – 2012
- Angry Tudung Girl web-series (Cast, Writer) – 2013
- In Search of Iloilo: The Movie documentary (Director, Co-Editor) – 2013
- Come Hell or High Water documentary (Director, Cinematographer, Writer, Co-Editor) – 2014
- Projek Muzium behind-the-scenes video (Cinematographer, Editor) - 2015
- Char Kuey Teow: The Burger documentary (Director, Editor) - 2017
- Sama-Sama web series (Producer) - 2018
- Nak Tahu Je! we series (Writer & Producer) - 2019
- Saya Bekas Extremis (Producer) - 2019
- The Fat Bidin FIlm Club web series (Co-Host) - 2018 to present
- Berita Busters (Producer & Co-Host) - May to July 2020
- Swapping Notes With Pons & Fluff (Co-Host & producer) - present
- Perempuan Radikal documentary (Producer) - 2020