AMU2685 Malaysian Studies (Winter, 2020)
|Credit Points||6 credit points|
Note: Not open to exchange students.
|Coordinator||Associate Professor Yeoh Seng-Guan|
Friday, 1 November 2019
Friday, 27 March 2020; 1700 GMT (Malaysian Time)
Friday, 3 April 2020
See here for application form
This team-taught intensive unit provides an overview of the salient features constituting contemporary Malaysian society. It also provides a critical understanding of some of the significant innovations, dilemmas, and challenges unfolding in Malaysia in relation to regional and global trends.
Topics covered include domestic politics; economics, social policy & development; literature & the arts; and international relations & security.
On successful completion of the unit, students should be able to:
- articulate the salient socio-cultural, economic and political features of contemporary Malaysian society;
- analyse some of the significant innovations, dilemmas and challenges unfolding in Malaysia;
- evaluate the above issues and debates in the context of regional and global trends;
- communicate research findings conducted in collaboration with peers via a variety of formats (oral, video, pictures, etc.).
- Online Quiz -- 40% [23 July, 2020]
- Essay (2,500-3,000 words) -- 40% [14 August, 2020]
- Reflective report on documentary (1,500 words) -- 20% [14 August, 2020]
How to apply
Download and submit your expression of interest and application form to: firstname.lastname@example.org by GMT 1700 (Malaysian time), Friday, 27 March 2020.
Due to limited places, there will be a selection process, If selected, you will be invited to follow through the rest of the application. You will know no later than Friday, 3 April 2020.
- Ensure that you meet the AMU2685 unit prerequisites at the time of application. (Note: International students must have a student pass and passport that is valid for at least 6 months from June 2020 onwards)
- Request for a course progression/course map check with the Course Management Office (Arts) at least 2 weeks before the application due date. Application closes on Friday, 27 March 2020. Kindly upload your course map via this E-course map submission box for Arts short term mobility program.
- If you are eligible to take this unit the CMO will inform you to submit the Registration Form (Expression of Interest) to Dr Yeoh. Refer to the instructions above on ‘How to Apply’.
- You will receive an email from the School informing you the outcome of your application latest by Friday, 3 April 2020.
- If your application is successful then you may proceed to enrol:
a. Please generate an invoice from the fee calculator.
b. Kindly pay the tuition fees at the Finance counter. You also can make payment using other fee payment method (Online Credit Card Payment, Bank Transfer / Direct Bank In / Telegraphic Transfer). Please refer to this link for more information about other fee payment method. The deadline to pay the fee is 13 June 2020.
c. Please upload AMU2685 enrolment amendment form and receipt of payment via this G-form (by 13 June 2020, 5pm).
d. Enrolment is done manually by the CMO and the process will begin from 3 April – 13 June 2020).
- The unit will be added to your enrolment within 2 working days after the tuition fee payment receipt is received. Thereafter please login WES to check your enrolment. Further details on travel arrangements will be communicated to you in due course.
Every effort will be made to ensure that the unit offered will be run; however the unit may be cancelled up to one week prior to the commencement of the Winter Semester if the enrolment is low or due to unforeseen circumstances. If a unit is cancelled, all students enrolled will be advised in writing prior to the commencement of the Winter Semester. In addition, all students will be automatically withdrawn from that unit.
Census dates for Winter Semester 2020
‘Withdrawn early’ ends
‘Withdrawn late’ starts
‘Withdrawn fail’ starts
Last day to discontinue units (fail grade)
Academic & financial penalties apply
13/07/2020 to 02/08/2020
Census date: Last day to discontinue unit without ‘Withdrawn’ showing on academic transcript and without incurring fees.
Withdrawn Late: Unit discontinued within this period will have ‘Withdrawn Late’ appear on academic transcript and will incur fees.
Withdrawn Fail: Unit discontinued within this period will have ‘Withdrawn Fail’ appear on academic transcript and will incur fees.
Check out students' experience at Sabah, Malaysia 2019