AMU2690 Discovering the Asia Pacific Study Trips (Summer A, 2019)
|Credit Points||6 credit points|
|Prerequisites||At least 2 semesters of first year Arts units study in Monash University Malaysia (MUM), or its equivalent.|
|Coordinator||Associate Professor Dr Yeoh Seng-Guan|
Monday, 1 October 2018
Monday, 31 December 2018; 1700 GMT (Malaysian Time)
Monday, 14 January, 2019
|Pay program fee by|
Monday, 11 February, 2019
See here for application form
This unit provides learning opportunities for students to become experientially and intellectually literate with the varied contemporary social, cultural, political, economic, and environmental realities of various countries in the Asia-Pacific region.
The specific focus for the study trip will vary each year. Among others, they will cover topics in environment and human development, everyday identities and identity politics, media and popular culture, and democracy and social movements. The overall pedagogical stress is on critically mapping and understanding various kinds of social transformations in the Asia-Pacific region.
The unit comprises a mix of pre-study trip preparatory lectures, a series of lectures, talks and immersion activities facilitated by various institutes and civil society groups during the study trip proper, and the submission of a post-study trip portfolio.
Upon completion of the unit, students will be able to:-
- Articulate and exhibit cross-cultural competency and familiarity with the country visited
- Engage in an internationalised world by being able to ethically assess some of the key socio-cultural, economic, political, developmental and environmental challenges facing the country/countries visited vis-à-vis theories learnt in their majors and minors units
- Apply research skills and communicate perceptively and effectively on some of the key socio-cultural, economic, political, developmental and environmental challenges facing the country visited.
All successful applicants are required to be in Kuala Lumpur at least 1 week before the study trip for the pre-study trip preparatory lectures and orientation. The study trip begins and ends in Kuala Lumpur.
- Pre-study trip essay: Students submit an annotated bibliography (1,500 words; 20%) of between 8-10 readings pertaining to background country information and key topics to be covered about 2 weeks before the study trip (Due 18 Nov 2019).
- Study trip proper: Students keep a fieldwork diary (audio, visual and written) documenting lectures, general observations, conversations, & interviews conducted during the study trip
- Post-study trip portfolio: Submitted 3 weeks after the study trip comprising photo-essays/video log/blog (30%), and a reflective report (max. 3,000 words) primarily using excerpts from fieldwork diary (50%) (Due 2 Jan 2020).
All MUM students are eligible to apply for the Monash Abroad Travel Grant. For details, go to: https://www.monash.edu.my/study/study-abroad-exchange/outbound/school-overseas-program
Total Program Fee : RM 5,000
Included in Program Fee
- International return flights from Malaysia to destination, and associated transfers at destination
- Travel insurance
- Local transport whilst on study tour
- Site entrance fees
Not included in Program Fee
- Tuition Fees
- Local mobile sim cards and mobile data
Health, Wellbeing and Vaccinations
Please visit smartraveller.gov.au for up-to-date information on visas, and health and vaccination requirements for the destination country.
How to apply
Download and submit your expression of interest and application form to: email@example.com by GMT 1700 (Malaysian time), 31 December, 2018.
Due to limited places, there will be a selection process based on the expression-of-interest form. The results will be made known no later than 14 January, 2019.
*Please read the following School Refund Procedure before applying.
**Program fee is subject to change at any time.
School of Arts and Social Sciences Refund Procedure for Study Tours Program Fees
The refund procedure outlined in the table below is only applicable to program fees (excluding tuition fees) paid to the University (1) for study tours units enrolled with the School of Arts and Social Sciences:
|Circumstance||Date||Refund of Program Fee|
|Withdrawal 120+ days prior to program start date(2)||4 July 2019 and prior||Yes (100%)|
|Withdrawal 90 - 119 days prior to program start date(2)||5 July 2019 to 3 August 2019||Yes (50%)|
|Withdrawal 0 - 89 days prior to program start date(2)||4 August 2019 to 1 November 2019||No|
|Program cancelled by the School||Yes (100%)|
(1) Where program fees are paid to an external travel service provider, the cancellation and refund policy of the travel service provider will be applied instead of the School’s Refund Procedure.
(2) The Program Start Date is defined as the ‘Teaching Period Start Date’ for the unit as indicated on the Census Dates and Teaching Periods webpage.