Monash Abroad Inter-University exchange
Explore a world of opportunity
As a “Faculty without Borders”, Monash Arts is committed to providing a wide variety of opportunities for students to study overseas as part of their degree.
Studying overseas is an ideal opportunity to experience different cultures, make new friends and explore the world without postponing your studies. Everyone’s experience of studying overseas is unique; however, there are a number of benefits that student share in common. These include greater independence, self-discipline, adaptability and intercultural understanding.
Monash Arts has partnerships with over 120 international universities. Each year, students travel to places such as Austria, Canada, France, Hong Kong, UK and USA. There are no additional tuition fees for exchange. While studying overseas, you remain enrolled full time at Monash which means you continue to pay your tuition fee to Monash Malaysia.
Application Process & Entry Requirements
To be eligible to participate in an exchange program you must have:
- Completed at least 48 credit points of your course at Monash
- Achieved a minimum Weighted Average Mark (WAM) of 60%
- Certain partner universities require a higher WAM due to the competitive nature of the program. Be sure to check for any additional requirements that each university may require before you apply.
Other factors to consider
- The available number of exchange places at the partner universities differs. In the event there are no places available, you will be given the opportunity to apply to your second preference.
- Some schools may not permit you to undertake overseas study in the final semester of your course, therefore, please check with your course management office before completing your application.
- If you are currently on intermission, you may still be able to apply but please contact the Monash Abroad office to check your eligibility.
Ready to apply?
- Once you are ready, download and complete the Monash Abroad application form (pdf, 1.6MB) for Outbound Exchange students.
- The form includes step-by-step instructions to complete your application and details of the application requirements such as your study plan and statement of purpose.
Creating your study plan
- Your study plan is the list of units you plan to study while on exchange, and forms part of your application. While the study plan sits within your application form, you need to have it approved and signed off by your course management office before you can submit the form and supporting documentation to Monash Abroad Malaysia. The submission deadline to your school is usually a month before the Monash Abroad application deadline.
When creating your study plan you should consider the following:
- Your selected partner university as they each offer different units at different levels and the units are sometimes not taught entirely in English.
- The units you need to study are offered:
- to satisfy your Monash degree
- at the level you are studying (undergraduate and/or postgraduate)
- during the semester you are on exchange
- Ensure you understand the full-time study load at your chosen university and the credit points each unit is worth as you must have the equivalent of 18 - 24 Monash credit points for a full-time load. Please consult your course management office for further details on your study plan preparation.
- Be aware that certain units have restrictions, limitations or pre-requisites, therefore please ensure you meet these before selecting the unit.
- Choose twice as many units than you would actually need to study. This is to be prepared for unforeseen circumstances such as cancellation of classes/units, timetable clashes that could lead to non – fulfilment of enrolment quotas. You are also encouraged to take elective units while on exchange for more flexibility in the approval of units.
- Print the detailed unit outlines to submit with your application. Your school would require additional information such as unit structure, contact hours, content and types of assessments.
Submitting your application
Once your study plan is approved by your course management office and you have completed your application, submit it to Monash Abroad Malaysia by the application deadline.
Find out more about student's experience on Monash Abroad Inter-University exchange here.