Background of General Studies
- General Studies (also known as Mata Pelajaran Pengajian Umum, MPU) consist of units which every student enrolled in a Malaysian public or private higher education institutions (PHEIs) are required to undertake effective October 2013 intake onwards.
- This stipulation is gazetted in subsection 41 (4) Private Higher Education Act 1996 (Act 555) which states that the National Language shall be taught as a compulsory subject for the students if any course of study or a substantial part of any course of study in any private higher educational institution is conducted either in the national language, English Language or Arabic.
- In relation to this, Department of Higher Education, Ministry of Education Malaysia Administrative Circular JPT / GS1000-606 JLD.1 (25) dated 27 June 2013 provided further explanation on the implementation of General Studies.
- All Malaysian and international students are compelled to enrol, undertake, complete and pass these units as a pre-requisite to the award of a degree.
Objective of Undertaking General Studies
- The objective of undertaking General Studies is to equip students with knowledge and soft-skills such as philosophy, arts and communication in line to produce more intellectual, balanced and holistic graduates.
Categories of General Studies
- There are four (4) categories of General Studies, which are as follows:
- Each of these category consists of a number of units that is required to be undertaken depending on the level of studies and nationality of each student.
Number of Units Required to be Undertaken
- All students enrolled in Monash University Malaysia will be required to undertake these units based on the following structure:
|Courses / Categories||MPU U1||MPU U2||MPU U3||MPU U4|
|Diploma of Higher Education||N/A|
|Bachelor Degree (ALL courses)||2 units||1 unit||1 unit||1 unit|
|1 Year Honours Degree||2 units||N/A||N/A||N/A|
- These units can be undertaken at any time in any sequence throughout the duration of their course as long as it is enrolled, undertaken, completed and passed before the end of the course / upon graduation.