Monash Arts Scholarship Contest
The School of Arts and Social Sciences (SASS) at Monash University Malaysia will host the Monash Arts Scholarship Contest on September 22, 2018 for Pre-University students. The events will include a strategy game, a film pitch, an application round using social media and an individual online quiz. The pre-university students will compete for total of 1.5 Monash University Scholarship, cash prizes and other prizes. Every student will also receive a goody-bag. All students will participate in all four challenges of the competition. The contestant who accumulate the most points from all four challenges will be the winner.
Challenge 1: #pic&snap
Using Instagram, each student is required to snap a photo and post it on a specially created Instagram account for the contest. The post must reflect elements that best explain and represent the Arts and Social Sciences. The student must also develop a creative caption along with the photo taken. Further details of this round will be disclosed on the day of the contest.
The School of Arts and Social Sciences, Monash University Malaysia, reserves the rights to use, reproduce, publish, communicate or broadcast the the pictures and/or videos taken for the contest in any form (including in a CD/DVD, website, publication, poster, presentation) for advertising, marketing, informational or promotional purposes [OR] teaching and research purposes.
Challenge 2: Finding Trust in World Politics
- Students will be separated into groups, and each group is paired with one other group.
- Each pair of groups has the opportunity to compete or cooperate with each other. They do so by making a decision to ‘Cooperate’ or ‘Not-cooperate’. Depending on the combination of decisions between the two groups, a number of points will be distributed among the groups.
- Each pair can only communicate with each other through ambassadors appointed by each group. Ambassadors will be able to speak in private with each other before their group’s final decision for that round is made. A facilitator will then announce each group’s decision to the other.
- Each pair repeats this process over a number of rounds until a specified points threshold is reached, or the number of rounds specified for the game is over.
- Should a single group reach the points threshold prior to the end of time for the game, that group receives all the points for this round. Should both groups reach the points threshold at the same time, the points will be shared among the groups. Should neither group reach the points threshold, no points will be awarded to either group.
Challenge 3: Film Pitch
- Students will be separated into groups.
- They will be given three things: a prop, a genre and a line of dialogue. These will be different for each group and will be distributed to groups at random.
- All groups will be given thirty minutes to develop their pitch. They need to give an overview of the film's story and main characters, as well as any other details they may want to provide (e.g. the film's themes, its visual style, key scenes).
- As part of their pitch, each group must use the prop, genre and line of dialogue that they have been given.
- They will be required to give a 3-5 minute pitch for their film.
- A group of judges will decide which is the best idea
Challenge 4: Trivia Time: Who Knows Everything?
- This is an individual challenge
- Answer 50 multiple choice questions in 12 minutes and 30 seconds. The game will be played on an identified live responsive app.
- The questions will be general knowledge in the areas of media/communications, world politics, gender issues, art & literature, and film. These categories correspond to the majors that SASS offers.
- A student will require a smartphone with an active internet connection to participate.
- The scores from this round will be accumulated to determine the winner.
The Monash Arts Scholarship Contest is open to local and international Pre-University Students in Malaysia. All contest participants must bring their own mobile devices.
Students will be judged on their knowledge, their creativity, formulation of cogent arguments and their ability to effectively communicate their ideas.
Winner Selection/Condition of winners:
The top accumulated points from all the 4 challenges will be awarded the winner. All judges’ decisions are final. The Organiser reserves the right to amend, terminate or add on to the terms and conditions at any time by placing a notice at the relevant website or any designated area.
The winners agree to allow Monash University Malaysia and its advertising and promotional agencies to publish his/her name and/or photographs and/or participating pictures and/or videos or any parts thereof without further compensation and notice.
Please note that the eligibility of scholarship prizes is dependent on meeting the School's entry requirements for its various degree courses. Failure to do so would automatically disqualify the winning candidate.
50% scholarship to pursue an undergraduate degree at the School of Arts and Social Sciences, Monash University Malaysia and a cash prize of RM3,000.
50% scholarship to pursue an undergraduate degree at the School of Arts and Social Sciences, Monash University Malaysia and a cash prize of RM2,000.
50% scholarship to pursue an undergraduate degree at the School of Arts and Social Sciences, Monash University Malaysia and a cash prize of RM1,000.
Note: Registration is closed.