Adzzie Shazleen Azman
School of Science
Secondary: +603 5514 5603
Dr. Adzzie Shazleen was awarded a Bachelor of Science (Biotechnology) (Hons) by the Monash University in 2011. She pursued her PhD in Microbiology at the same university studying the characterization of novel rare Actinobacteria from mangrove and their bioactivities. After her graduation in 2016, she worked as Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Tropical Infectious Diseases Research & Education Centre (TIDREC), Universiti Malaya and took up the position as a lecturer in Microbiology in the School of Science in August 2020.
During her PhD, she managed to discover a new genus of rare Actinobacteria from mangrove and named after Monash University, Monashia flava. She also discovered two new species of rare Actinobacteria. Her current research is still focusing on the bioactivities of the secondary metabolites of Actinobacteria. Other than that, she is also focusing on the zoonotic vector-borne pathogen especially on Bartonella species.
For interest in potential collaborations and research projects (undergraduate and postgraduate), please contact Dr. Adzzie at the email address above.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Monash University, 2016
- Honours Degree of Bachelor of Science (Biotechnology), Monash University, 2011
- Bachelor of Science (Biotechnology), Monash University, 2010
- Bacteriology, taxonomy and systematic, molecular microbiology, biotechnology
Microbiology, bacteriology, infectious diseases, anti-infective
- BIO1022 (Life on Earth)
- BTH2830 (Fundamentals of Microbiology)
- BTH3722 (Medical Microbiology)
- FST3711 (Food Microbiology)
Azman AS, Mawang CI, Khairat JE, Abubakar S. (2019) Actinobacteria – a promising natural source of anti-biofilm agents. International Microbiology. 22(4), 403-409.
Loong SK, Lee HY, Khoo JJ, Lim FS, Ahmad Nasrah SN, Azman AS, Sunthralingam C, Panchadcharam C, AbuBakar S. (2019) Microbiological analysis of raw milk unveiled the presence of a dairy contaminant, Corynebacterium lipophiloflavum. Journal of Applied Biology and Biotechnology. 7(5), 41-44.
Azman AS, Mawang CI, Abu Bakar S. (2018) Bacterial pigments: the bioactivities and as an alternative for therapeutic applications. Natural Product Communication. 13(12), 1747-1754.
Prakash BK, Low VL, Tan TK, Vinnie-Siow WY, Lim YAL, Morvarid AR, Azman AS, Yeong YS, AbuBakar S, Azirun MS. (2018) Detection of Hepatozoon canis in the brown dog tick and domestic dogs in Peninsular Malaysia. Journal of Medical Entomology. 55(5), 1346-1348.
Azman AS, Iekhsan O, Kok-Gan C, Bey-Hing G, Learn-Han L. (2017) Antibacterial, neuroprotective and anticancer activities of rare actinobacteria from mangrove forest soils, Indian Journal of Microbiology. 57(2), 177-187.
Azman AS, Zainal N, Ab. Mutalib NS, Yin WF, Chan KG, Lee LH. (2016) Monashia flava gen. nov., sp. nov., a novel actinobacterium of the family Intrasporangiaceae. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology. 66(2), 554-561.
Azman AS, Othman I, S. Velu S, Chan KG, Lee LH. (2015) Mangrove rare actinobacteria: taxonomy, natural compound and discovery of bioactivity. Frontier in Microbiology. 20(6), 856.
Lee LH, Azman AS, Zainal N, Yin WF, Ab. Mutalib NS, Chan KG. (2015) Sinomonas humi sp. nov., an amylolytic actinobacterium isolated from mangrove forest soil. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology. 65, 996-1002.
Lee LH, Zainal N, Azman AS, Eng SK, Goh BH, Yin WF, Ab. Mutalib NS, Chan KG. (2014) Diversity and antimicrobial activities of actinobacteria isolated from tropical mangrove sediments in Malaysia. Scientific World Journal. 2014, ID 698178, doi: 10.1155/2014/698178
Lee LH, Zainal N, Azman AS, Eng SK, Ab. Mutalib NS, Yin WF, Chan KG. (2014) Streptomyces pluripotens sp. nov., a bacteriocin-producing streptomycete that inhibits methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology. 64(9), 3297-3306.
Lee LH, Azman AS, Zainal N, Eng SK, Ab. Mutalib NS, Yin WF, Chan KG. (2014) Microbacterium mangrovi sp. nov., an amylolytic actinobacterium isolated from mangrove forest soil International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology. 64(10), 3513-3519.
Lee LH, Zainal N, Azman AS, Ab. Mutalib NS, Hong K, Chan KG. (2014) Mumia flava gen. nov., sp. nov., an actinobacterium of the family Nocardioidaceae. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology. 64(5), 1461-1467.
Lee LH, Azman AS, Zainal N, Eng SK, Fang CM, Hong K, Chan KG. (2014) Novosphingobium malaysiense sp. nov., isolated from mangrove sediments. International Journal of Systematic and Evolutionary Microbiology. 64(4), 1194-1201.
Azman AS, Mhiri C, Grandbastien MA, Tam SM. (2014) Transposable elements and the detection of somaclonal variation in plant tissue culture: a review. Malaysian Applied Biology. 43(1), 1-12.
- Awareness program among the Philippines’ domestic workers in Kuala Lumpur: Knowledge, prevention and control of common infectious diseases, Sahimin N, Azman AS, Khoo JJ, 2020, The Malaysian Society of Parasitology and tropical Medicine (MSPTM)(RM5,000)
- One Health for Underserved Orang Asli Community, Ya’cob Z, Abu Bakar S, Kadri NA, Khoo JJ, Azman AS, Abdullah NA, Tedong PA, Khairat JE, Sahimin N, Zainal N, Low VL, 2019, Universiti Malaya (RM20,000)
- Soil microorganism from forest ecosystem and their potential anti-infective activities, Azman A.S, 2018, Yayasan Pahang (RM15,000)
- Impact of land use change on soil bacterial community in Pahang, Azman A.S, 2017, Universiti Malaya (RM20,000)
Editorial Board, Tropical Biomedicine Journal, The Malaysian Society of Parasitology and tropical Medicine (MSPTM), 2020-2023
Academic/Corporate Community Engagements
- Unveiling the Potential of Actinobacteria: Lethal Larvicidal Response Against Mosquitoes, 56th Annual Scientific Conference of The Malaysian Society of parasitology & Tropical Medicine, 2020
- Invited speaker – Awareness and Knowledge Transfer Program, Newton-Ungku Omar Fund Institutional Link (19-20 June 2019)
- Project Leader - Exhibition on “Recollection of Nipah Virus Encephalitis Outbreak: 20 Years After”, Universiti Malaya (January 2019)
- Project Leader - Exhibition on “Recollection of Nipah Virus Encephalitis Outbreak: 20 Years After”, Nipah Virus International Conference, Singapore (December 2019)
- Trainer and Facilitator – Biosafety and Biosecurity Training Program – In house (30 April – 2 May 2019)
- Trainer and Facilitator – Biorisk Management Training Program (30 Oct – 3 Nov 2017)