Cheow Yuen Lin
School of Science
Dr. Cheow Yuen Lin is currently a senior lecturer with the School of Science, Monash University Malaysia (MUM). He obtained his BSc (Hons) in Chemistry and MSc in Natural Product Chemistry from University Putra Malaysia. After graduating, he taught Cambridge A-level Chemistry at Taylor’s College for three years.
He then undertook his PhD in Organometallic Chemistry at Nanyang Technological University Singapore. He is a trained synthetic chemist with skills in molecular synthesis, characterization, Schlenk-line techniques manipulating moisture and air sensitive compounds. Following his doctorate, Dr Cheow spent a year lecturing at Singapore Polytechnic.
He is the author and co-author of twelve refereed articles. He is currently supervising and co-supervising eight PhD students. His students are working mainly on
1. Synthesis of metal carbene complexes and evaluation of their biological properties.
2. Isolation and characterisation of bioactive compounds from Malaysian tropical plants and bacteria obtained from tropical peat swamp forest soil.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Organometallic Chemistry, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore, 2012
- Master of Science in Natural Product Chemistry, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 2005
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Chemistry, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 2002
Natural Product Chemistry, Organometallic Chemistry, Asymmetric Synthesis of Chiral Heterobidentate Phosphine and Arsine Ligands, N-Heterocyclic Carbene (NHC) Ligands.
- Synthesis of metal carbene complexes and evaluation of its biological properties.
- Chemical isolation, structure elucidation and biological properties of natural products from Malaysian tropical plants
The research activities in my group revolve around drug discovery, design and development. My research is largely focused on natural product chemistry and bioorganometallic chemistry specifically discovering compounds as potential anticancer and antimicrobial agents. Our lab is isolating and characterising bioactive compounds from Malaysian tropical plants and bacteria obtained from tropical peat swamp forest soil. The ecosystem biodiversity in Malaysia is among the world richest and its potential as a vast pharmaceutical store bank has been cited by many scientists. As a natural product chemist, I collaborate with my colleagues and discover a myriad of interesting chemistry and biology from our ecosystem. I also undertake scholarly activity to make organometallic complexes and evaluate their biological properties.
CHM1051 (Advanced Chemistry 1)
Carrie Siew Fang Sim, Yuen Lin Cheow, Si Ling Ng, Adeline Su Yien Ting. 2019. Biocontrol activities of metal-tolerant endophytes against Ganoderma boninense in oil palm seedlings cultivated under metal stress. Biological Control, 132, 66-71
Carrie Siew Fang Sim, Yuen Lin Cheow, Si Ling Ng, Adeline Su Yien Ting. 2019. Antifungal activities of metal-tolerant endophytes against Ganoderma boninense under the influence of metal stress. Biological Control, 130, 9-17
Si Hui Chen, Yuen Lin Cheow, Si Ling Ng, Adeline Su Yien Ting. 2019. Mechanisms for metal removal established via electron microscopy and spectroscopy: A case study on metal tolerant fungi Penicillium simplicissimum. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 362, 394-402
Si Hui Chen, Yuen Lin Cheow, Si Ling Ng, Adeline Su Yien Ting. 2019. Biodegradation of triphenylmethane dyes by non-white rot fungus Penicillium simplicissimum: Enzymatic and toxicity studies. International Journal of Environmental Research,-, 1-10.
CSF Sim, CS Yue, YL Cheow, ASY Ting. 2019. Influence of metal stress on production of volatile inhibitory compounds by endophytes against Ganoderma boninense. Biocontrol Science and Technology,-, 1-17.
SH Chen, YL Cheow, SL Ng, ASY Ting. 2019. Removal of triphenylmethane dyes in single-dye and dye-metal mixtures by live and dead cells of metal-tolerant Penicillium simplicissimum. Separation Science and Technology,-, 1-11.
Si Hui Chen, Yuen Lin Cheow, Si Ling Ng, Adeline Su Yien Ting. 2018. Influence of Dyes on Metal Removal: a Study Using Live and Dead Cells of Penicillium simplicissimum in Single-Metal and Dye-Metal Mixtures. Water, Air, & Soil Pollution, 229(8), 271.
Carrie Siew Fang Sim, Yuen Lin Cheow, Si Ling Ng, Adeline Su Yien Ting. 2018. Discovering Metal-Tolerant Endophytic Fungi from the Phytoremediator Plant Phragmitesl Mixtures. Water, Air, & Soil Pollution. 229(3), 68.
Kar Bee Choo, Wee Li Mah, Sui Mae Lee, Wai Leng Lee, Yuen Lin Cheow. 2018. Palladium complexes of bidendate pyridine N-heterocyclic carbenes: Optical resolution, antimicrobial and cytotoxicity studies. Applied Organometallic Chemistry, 32(8), e4377.
Nirupam Biswas, Yuen Lin Cheow, Chin Ping Tan, Lee Fong Siow. 2018. Physicochemical properties of enzymatically produced palm oil‐based cocoa butter substitute (CBS) with cocoa butter mixture. European Journal of Lipid Science and Technology, 120(3), 1700205.
Suerialoasan Navanesan, Norhanom Abdul Wahab, Sugumaran Manickam, Yuen Lin Cheow, Kae Shin Sim. Intrinsic capabilities of Leptospermum javanicum in inducing apoptosis and suppressing the metastatic potential of human lung carcinoma cells. Chemico-Biological Interactions, 2017, 273, 37-43. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbi.2017.05.022
Ong, Kuan Shiong, Cheow, Yuen Lin, Lee, Sui Mae. The role of reactive oxygen species in the antimicrobial activity of pyochelin. Journal of Advanced Research 2017, 8, 393-398. DOI: http://dx.doi/10.1016/j.jare.2017.05.007
Si Hui Chen, Si Ling Ng, Yuen Lin Cheow, Adeline Su Yien Ting. A novel study based on adaptive metal tolerance behavior in fungi and SEM-EDX analysis. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 2017, 334, 132–141. DOI: http://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2017.04.004
Biswas, Nirupam ; Cheow, Yuen Lin ; Tan, Chin Ping ; Kanagaratnam, Sivaruby; Siow, Lee Fong, Cocoa Butter Substitute (CBS) Produced from Palm Mid-fraction/Palm Kernel Oil/Palm Stearin for Confectionery Fillings , Journal of the American Oil Chemists Society, 2017, 94, 235-245.DOI: 10.1007/s11746-016-2940-4
Biswas, Nirupam ; Cheow, Yuen Lin ; Tan, Chin Ping ; Siow, Lee Fong Physical, rheological and sensorial properties, and bloom formation of dark chocolate made with cocoa butter substitute (CBS). LWT-Food Science and Technology. 2017, 82, 420-428. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.lwt.2017.04.039
Cheong, Siew Loon; Cheow, Yuen Lin; Ting, Adeline Su Yien , Characterizing antagonistic activities and host compatibility (via simple endophyte-calli test) of endophytes as biocontrol agents of Ganoderma boninense , Biological Control, 2017, 105, 86-92.DOI:10.1016/j.biocontrol.2016.12.002
Ong, Kuan Shion ; Aw, Yoong Kit ; Lee, Learn Han ; Yule, Catherine M; Cheow, Yuen Lin; Lee, Sui Mae, Burkholderia paludis sp nov., an Antibiotic-Siderophore Producing Novel Burkholderia cepacia Complex Species, Isolated from Malaysian Tropical Peat Swamp Soil , Frontiers in Microbiology, 2016, 7, 2046.DOI: 10.3389/fmicb.2016.02046
Yoong Kit Aw, Kuan Shion Ong, Catherine Mary Yule, Yuen Lin Cheow, Learn-Han Lee, Sui Mae Lee . Newly isolated Paenibacillus tyrfis sp. nov., from Malaysian tropical peat swamp soil with broad spectrum antimicrobial activity. Frontiers in Microbiology, 2016, 7(219), 1-9. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3389/fmicb.2016.00219
Yuen Lin Cheow, Sumod A. Pullarkat, Yongxin Li, Pak-Hing Leung . Asymmetric hydroarsination reactions toward synthesis of alcohol functionalised C-chiral As-P ligands promoted by chiral cyclometallated complexes. Journal of Organometallic Chemistry, 2012, 696, 4215-4220.
Sumod A. Pullarkat, Yuen Lin Cheow, Yongxin Li and Pak-Hing Leung . Enantioselective, High-yielding Synthesis of Alcohol-Functionalised Diphosphanes Utilizing Asymettric Control with a Chiral Auxilliary. Eur. J. Inorg. Chem.,2009, 2375-2382.
Gwendoline Cheng Lian Ee, Yuen Lin Cheow . Secondary Metabolites from two Garcinia Species and their Biological Acitivities, Asian J. of Chem. 2008, Vol 20, 343-351.
G.C.L.Ee, A.S.M.Kua, Y.L Cheow, C.K.Lim, V. Jong and M. Rahmani. A new pyranoxanthone Inophyllin B from Calophyllum inophyllum (Guttiferae). Natural Product Sciences, 2004, 10(2), 220-222.
- Cheow, Y.L, 2014-2016, Synthesis, Characterization and Evaluation of anti-cancer and anti-microbial activities of Chiral Nickel, Palladium and Platinum Pyridine-N-Heterocyclic Carbene Complexes, Ministry of Education, RM111k
PhD Students (Present)
- Mah Wee Li (Main supervision) - Synthesis and Evaluation of Antimicrobial activities of Silver and Copper N-Heterocyclic Carbene
- Khe Jia Ming (Main supervision) - Silver and Copper N-Heterocyclic Carbene Complexes as Potential Antimicrobial and Cytotoxic Agents
- Beenish Zia Butt (Co-supervision) - Biogenic Synthesis Of Common Nanoparticles Using Extracts From Endophytes
- Caleb Cheah (Co-supervision) - Exopolymeric Substances from Bacteria as Biomolecules for Green Approach to Metal Removal
- Calvin Goh Bok Sun (Co-supervision) - Use of a modified iChip for the isolation of bacteria from a Malaysian tropical peat swamp with emphasis on a novel antimicrobial-producing bacterium Chitinophaga sp. Mgbs1
- Mansura Mokbul (Co-supervision) - Use of a modified iChip for the isolation of bacteria from a Malaysian tropical peat swamp with emphasis on a novel antimicrobial-producing bacterium Chitinophaga sp. Mgbs1
PhD Students (Completed)
- Steven Aw Yoong Kit (Co-supervision) - Identification and characterisation of antimicrobial producing Paenibacillus sp
- Nirupam Biswas (co-supervision) - Development and Characterization of Cocoa Butter Alternatives from Palm-based Oils for Chocolate Application
- Ong Kuan Shiong (co-supervision) - Identification and characterisation of antimicrobial producing bacteria isolated from tropical peat swamp forest soil
- Cheong Siew Loon (co-supervision) - Endophytic biocontrol agents from non-native host plants for the control of Ganoderma in oil palm
- Choo Kar Bee (Main supervision) - Synthesis, characterisation and bioactivity evaluation of chiral metal pyridine-NHC compounds
- Yong Mei Mun (Co-supervision) - Chemical constituents and bioactivity of selected traditional medicinal plants
- Yaw Chong Wey (Co-supervision) - Electrochemical studies of antioxidant agents and their applications
- Wong Kak Ming (Co-supervision) - Characterisation of chemical constituent(s) from Hemisgraphis alternata and its wound healing and anti-inflammatory properties
- Carrie Sim Siew Fang (Co-supervision) - Evaluating the use of metal-tolerant endophytes for plant growth and disease control in metal-laden soils
- Chen Si Hui (Co-supervision) - Investigation on efficacy and mechanisms of metalophilic fungi for removal of dyes and heavy metals
- Krystle Santiago (Co-supervision) - Biological Activities and Chemical Constituents of the Fruticose Lichen Usnea and its Associated Endolichenic Fungi
MSc Students (Completed)
- Loh Sze Le (Main) - Structural Investigations of Water-Soluble Calixarene with Polycationic Salts
Honours Students (Completed)
- Gabrial Ong Ching Shien (co-supervision)
- Mah Wee Li (main supervision)
Academic/Corporate Community Engagements
- 2017, Choo, KB, Lee, SM, Lee, WL, and Cheow, YL Palladium complex of racemic bidentate pyridine N-Heterocyclic Carbene (NHC): Antimicrobial and cell cytotoxicity studies18th Asian Edition Tetrahedron Symposium, Melbourne Australia.
- 2017, Choo, KB, Lee, SM, Lee, WL, and Cheow, YL Optical resolution, antimicrobial and cell cytotoxicity studies of racemic palladium pyridine N-Heterocyclic carbene (NHC) complexes. 6th Asian Conference on Coordination Chemistry, Melbourne Australia.
- 2011, Yuen Lin Cheow, Sumod A. Pullarkat, Yongxin Li, Pak-Hing Leung, Asymmetric hydroarsination reactions toward synthesis of alcohol functionalised C-chiral As-P ligands promoted by chiral cycometallated complexes. 241st ACS National Meeting and Exposition (United States of America)
- 2010, Yuen Lin Cheow, Shuli Chen, Sumod A. Pullarkat, Yongxin Li and Pak-Hing Leung. Insertions of alkynylarsines into the Pd-C bond of cycolpalladated complexes. 6th Asian-European Symposium on Metal Mediated Efficient Reactions. (Singapore)