Foo Su Chern
School of Science
Being passionate for the sciences and portraying avid interests to biology has led Dr Foo Su Chern to embark on a journey in research and development, especially in functional food ingredients and nutraceuticals from photosynthetic microorganisms-The micoalgae. Curious, diligent and strives to work towards a common goal for the team with the trenchant zeal of a crusader.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Microalgae Biotechnology, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 2017
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Biology, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 2011
- Microalgae isolation and cultivation
- Bioactivity screening tests (i.e. antioxidant, anti-cancer activities)
- Microencapsulation of heat sensitive bioactive compounds.
- Microalgae biology
- Microalgae mass cultivation and harvesting
- Valorization of microalgae in nutraceuticals, cosmeceuticals, bioremediation and biofuel industry
- BIO3810 (Tropical Aquatic Biology)
- SCI1800 (Introduction to environmental sustainability)
Su Chern Foo, Nicholas MH Khong, Fatimah Md Yusoff. 2019. Microalgae Biotechnology for Development of Biofuel and Wastewater Treatment, -, 179-209, Springer, Singapore
Su Chern Foo, Fatimah Md Yusoff, Mustapha Umar Imam, Jhi Biau Foo, Norsharina Ismail, Nur Hanisah Azmi, Yin Sim Tor, Nicholas MH Khong, Maznah Ismail. 2019. Increased fucoxanthin in Chaetoceros calcitrans extract exacerbates apoptosis in liver cancer cells via multiple targeted cellular pathways. Biotechnology Reports, 21, e00296
Foo, S. C., Yusoff, F.M., Ismail, M., Basri, M., Yau, S.K., Khong, N.M.H., Chan, K.W. 2017. Antioxidant capacities of fucoxanthin-producing algae as influenced by their carotenoid and phenolic contents. Journal of Biotechnology 241: 175-813.
Foo, S. C., Yusoff, F.M., Ismail, M., Basri, M., Yau, S.K., Khong, N.M.H., Chan, K.W. 2017. HPLC fucoxanthin profiles of amicroalga, a macroalga and a pure fucoxanthin standard. Data In Brief 10: 583-586.
SK Yau, FM Yusoff, NMH Khong, SC Foo, JI Lai. 2016. Improved Pre-treatment Protocol for Scanning Electron Microscopy Coupled with Energy Dispersive X-ray Spectroscopy Analysis of Selected Tropical Microalgae. Pertanika Journal of Tropical Agricultural Science, 39(3), 321-342.
Foo, S. C., Yusoff, F. M., Ismail, M., Basri, M., Khong, N. M. H., Chan, K. W., & Yau, S. K. (2015a). Efficient solvent extraction of antioxidant-rich extract from a tropical diatom, Chaetoceros calcitrans (Paulsen) Takano 1968. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, 5(10), 796-801.
Foo, S. C., Yusoff, F. M., Ismail, M., Basri, M., Yau, S. K., Khong, N. M. H., & Chan, K. W. (2015b). Production of fucoxanthin-rich fraction (FxRF) from a diatom, Chaetoceros calcitrans (Paulsen) Takano 1968. Algal Research, 12, 26-32.
- Foo, S.C., 2013-2015, Kanazawa Research Fellowship Grant, The Asian Fisheries Society, USD5k
- Foo, S.C., Franklin, D., 2015-2016, cLINK mobility Erasmus mundus grant for studies at cLINK partner University, Bournemouth University, United Kingdom, European Union (EU)(Ref:372242-1-2012-1-UKERA MUNDUS EMA21), The European Union cLINK (Centre of Excellence for learning, innovation, networking and knowledge project), £12k
- Foo, S.C., Rahman, S., Chong, M.N., IIankoon, S., Ooi, C.W., Yek, S.H., Wong, Z.H., Watabe, M., Tam, C.L., 2018-2021, Monash-Sunway Decarbonization Initiative: Microalgae Farming and Native Tree Planting, Monash University Malaysia Sustainable Community Grant Scheme, RM 250k
- Foo, S.C., Choo, W.S., Fatimah, M.Y., 2019-2022, Improving storage stability of the exclusive marine carotenoid from a tropical marine microalgae, Chaetoceros calcitrans (Paulsen) Takano 1968, Fundamental Research Grant Scheme, RM 157,800
Febriane Sukianto (Honours)
Malaysian Association for Cancer Research (MACR) (Member-lifetime)
Academic/Corporate Community Engagements
2016, 6th UK Algae conference, The Diamond, Sheffield University, United Kingdom, Oral presentation and poster presentation.
2015, European Commission (Erasmus mundus) mini-workshop, D234 Dorset House, Bournemouth University, Dorset, United Kingdom, Oral presentation.
2014, 9th International Scientific Symposium by IOC Sub-Commission for the Western Pacific (WESTPAC): A Healthy Ocean for Prosperity in the Western Pacific: Scientific Challenges and Possible Solutions, Nha Trang, Vietnam, Poster presenter.
2012, Bio-Asia 2012, The 4th Regional Seminar, Organized by French embassy in China and Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China, Poster participant.
- University Consortium Thesis Grant award, SEARCA (Science and Education for Agriculture and Development) Ref. No. GCS16-2844 for Production of a fucoxanthin-rich fraction from a tropical diatom, Chaetoceros calcitrans and its antioxidant and anti-proliferative activities
- Ministry of Higher Education: MyPhD (MyBrain15), The Malaysian Government for Production of a fucoxanthin-rich fraction from a tropical diatom, Chaetoceros calcitrans and its antioxidant and anti-proliferative activities
- Government Undergraduate Scholarship (JPA-PIDN), The Malaysian Government for Antioxidant and anti-bacterial activities of a tropical freshwater jellyfish, Acromitus hardenbergi