Foo Su Chern
School of Science
Being passionate for the sciences and portraying avid interests to biology has led Dr Foo Su Chern to embark on a journey in research and development, especially in functional food ingredients and nutraceuticals from photosynthetic microorganisms-The micoalgae. Curious, diligent and strives to work towards a common goal for the team with the trenchant zeal of a crusader.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Microalgae Biotechnology, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 2017
- Bachelor of Science (Hons) in Biology, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 2011
- Microalgae isolation and cultivation
- Bioactivity screening tests (i.e. antioxidant, anti-cancer activities)
- Microencapsulation of heat sensitive bioactive compounds.
- Microalgae biology
- Microalgae mass cultivation and harvesting
- Valorization of microalgae in nutraceuticals, cosmeceuticals, bioremediation and biofuel industry
- BIO3810 (Tropical Aquatic Biology)
Foo, S. C., Yusoff, F. M., Ismail, M., Basri, M., Khong, N. M. H., Chan, K. W., & Yau, S. K. (2015a). Efficient solvent extraction of antioxidant-rich extract from a tropical diatom, Chaetoceros calcitrans (Paulsen) Takano 1968. Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine, 5(10), 796-801.
Foo, S. C., Yusoff, F. M., Ismail, M., Basri, M., Yau, S. K., Khong, N. M. H., & Chan, K. W. (2015b). Production of fucoxanthin-rich fraction (FxRF) from a diatom, Chaetoceros calcitrans (Paulsen) Takano 1968. Algal Research, 12, 26-32.
Foo, S. C., Yusoff, F.M., Ismail, M., Basri, M., Yau, S.K., Khong, N.M.H., Chan, K.W. 2017. Antioxidant capacities of fucoxanthin-producing algae as influenced by their carotenoid and phenolic contents. Journal of Biotechnology 241: 175-813.
Foo, S. C., Yusoff, F.M., Ismail, M., Basri, M., Yau, S.K., Khong, N.M.H., Chan, K.W. 2017. HPLC fucoxanthin profiles of amicroalga, a macroalga and a pure fucoxanthin standard. Data In Brief 10: 583-586.
- Foo, S.C., 2013-2015, Kanazawa Research Fellowship Grant, The Asian Fisheries Society, USD5k
- Foo, S.C., Franklin, D., 2015-2016, cLINK mobility Erasmus mundus grant for studies at cLINK partner University, Bournemouth University, United Kingdom, European Union (EU)(Ref:372242-1-2012-1-UKERA MUNDUS EMA21), The European Union cLINK (Centre of Excellence for learning, innovation, networking and knowledge project), £12k
Febriane Sukianto (Honours)
Malaysian Association for Cancer Research (MACR) (Member-lifetime)
Academic/Corporate Community Engagements
2016, 6th UK Algae conference, The Diamond, Sheffield University, United Kingdom, Oral presentation and poster presentation.
2015, European Commission (Erasmus mundus) mini-workshop, D234 Dorset House, Bournemouth University, Dorset, United Kingdom, Oral presentation.
2014, 9th International Scientific Symposium by IOC Sub-Commission for the Western Pacific (WESTPAC): A Healthy Ocean for Prosperity in the Western Pacific: Scientific Challenges and Possible Solutions, Nha Trang, Vietnam, Poster presenter.
2012, Bio-Asia 2012, The 4th Regional Seminar, Organized by French embassy in China and Institute of Biophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China, Poster participant.
- University Consortium Thesis Grant award, SEARCA (Science and Education for Agriculture and Development) Ref. No. GCS16-2844 for Production of a fucoxanthin-rich fraction from a tropical diatom, Chaetoceros calcitrans and its antioxidant and anti-proliferative activities
- Ministry of Higher Education: MyPhD (MyBrain15), The Malaysian Government for Production of a fucoxanthin-rich fraction from a tropical diatom, Chaetoceros calcitrans and its antioxidant and anti-proliferative activities
- Government Undergraduate Scholarship (JPA-PIDN), The Malaysian Government for Antioxidant and anti-bacterial activities of a tropical freshwater jellyfish, Acromitus hardenbergi