School of Science
+603 5515 9621
Dr. Kirti Shukla completed her Bachelors in Biochemistry in 2009 at the University of New Delhi before undertaking a Masters in Biotechnology from the Indian Institute of Technology completed in 2011. In that same year, she moved to Germany to undertake her PhD in cancer biology at the University of Heidelberg till 2014. Between her appointment in the School of Science in March, 2017 and her PhD, Kirti spent time undertaking independent research as a research scientist at Cancer Research Malaysia and German Breast Group. Her interests are in deciphering the underlying mechanisms of gene expression changes in diseased conditions including cancer. She uses Cancer Biology, Molecular Biology, and Signaling Pathways, Genome Analysis and, RNA biology as tools to explore her research. Specifically, a class of non-coding RNA know as miRNA has been shown to play an important role in controlling gene expression and is associated with disease progression. These miRNAs can also be used as biomarkers. Dr. Shukla’s research interests lies in coming up with robust biomarkers for disease progression. Current projects include:
1) Effect of miRNAs overexpression on regulation of tumour cell survival in response to oxidative stress.
2) Role of miRNAs in regulation of NF-κB signaling and cell cycle progression pathways in an infectious disease
- Doctor of Philosophy in cancer biology, University of Heidelberg, 2014
- Masters in Biotechnology, Indian Institute of Technology, 2011
- Bachelors in Biochemistry, University of New Delhi, 2009
Cancer Biology, Molecular Biology, Signaling Pathways, Genome Analysis, RNA biology
- Study of PIK3CA mutation hotspots in breast cancer patients with APOBEC3B deletion polymorphism
- Role of miRNAs in regulation of NF-κB signaling and cell cycle progression pathways in an infectious disease model
- Effect of miRNAs expression on regulation of tumour cell survival in response to oxidative stress
PHY2810 (Physiology of Human Body Systems)
PHY2820 (Physiology of Human Health)
Ng WL, Mohd Mohidin TB, Shukla K: Functional role of circular RNAs in cancer development and progression. RNA Biol 2018. PMID: 29954251
Enuka Y, Feldman ME, Chowdhury A, Srivastava S, Lindzen M, Sas-Chen A, Massart R, Cheishvili D, Suderman MJ, Zaltsman Y, Shukla K et al: Epigenetic mechanisms underlie the crosstalk between growth factors and a steroid hormone. Nucleic Acids Res 2017, 45(22):12681-12699.
Shukla K, Sharma AK, Ward A, Will R, Hielscher T, Balwierz A, et al. MicroRNA-30c-2-3p negatively regulates NF-kappaB signaling and cell cycle progression through downregulation of TRADD and CCNE1 in breast cancer. Molecular oncology. 2015 Feb 10. PubMed PMID: 25732226.
Ward A, Shukla K, Balwierz A, Soons Z, Konig R, Sahin O, et al. MicroRNA-519a is a novel oncomir conferring tamoxifen resistance by targeting a network of tumour-suppressor genes in ER+ breast cancer. The Journal of pathology. 2014 Apr 21. PubMed PMID: 24752803.
Ben-Chetrit N, Chetrit D, Russell R, Korner C, Mancini M, Abdul-Hai A, Shukla K, et al. Synaptojanin 2 is a druggable mediator of metastasis and the gene is overexpressed and amplified in breast cancer. Science signaling. 2015 Jan 20;8(360):ra7. PubMed PMID: 25605973.
Kostler WJ, Zeisel A, Korner C, Tsai JM, Jacob-Hirsch J, Ben-Chetrit N, Sharma, K*, et al. Epidermal growth-factor-induced transcript isoform variation drives mammary cell migration. PloS one. 2013;8(12):e80566. PubMed PMID: 24324612. Pubmed Central PMCID: 3855657.
Srivastava S, Sharma, K*, Kumar N, Roy P. Bradykinin regulates osteoblast differentiation by Akt/ERK/NFkappaB signalling axis. Journal of cellular physiology. 2014 May 13. PubMed PMID: 24825463.
Lauriola M, Enuka Y, Zeisel A, D'Uva G, Roth L, Sharon-Sevilla M, Sharma, K*, et al. Diurnal suppression of EGFR signalling by glucocorticoids and implications for tumour progression and treatment. Nature communications. 2014;5:5073. PubMed PMID: 25278152. Pubmed Central PMCID: 4205848.
Aleksandra Balwierz, Alexander Bott, Christian Breunig, Nese Erdem, Chiara Giacomelli, Cindy Körner, Omar Salem, Kirti Shukla, Stefan Wiemann. microRNAs – kleine Moleküle ganz groß. Biologie in unserer Zeit, (2014); Doi:10.1002/biuz.201410543
- Dr Kirti Shukla, 2017, Role of miRNAs in regulation of NF-κB signaling and cell cycle progression pathways in an infectious disease model, Tropical Medicine and Biology (TMB) Platform, RM10k
- Dr. Kirti Shukla, 2017, Effect of miRNA expression on regulation of tumor cell survival in response to oxidative stress, Seed grant, School of Science, RM30k
- Dr. Kirti Shukla, Prof. Stefan Wiemann, 2011, Regulation of NF-kB signaling and cell cycle progression by miRNA-30c-2-3p in breast cancer, Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF), Germany
PhD Students (Present)
- Nur Zawanah binti Zabidi (Co-supervision)
- Md Moinul Hoque (Co-supervision)
- Rasaq Olajide Akinsola (Co-supervision)
- Kavitha Ganesan Nathan (Co-supervision)
Honours student (Present)
- Teoh Ru Wei
Third Year Project students (Present)
- Abyramy Srikanth
- Nazifa Tabassum
Membership in Academic Editorial Committees
- Reviewer, Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology
Member of National Professional Bodies
- YOUNG SCIENTISTS NETWORK - Academy of Sciences Malaysia (YSN-ASM), Science Communicator, May 2017-2020
- Cancer Research Malaysia, Scientist, 8/2016 - 3/2017
- German Breast Group, Germany, Translational Scientist, 11/2015 - 2/2016
Academic/Corporate Community Engagements
1. Non-coding RNA: From Basic Mechanisms to Cancer, DKFZ, 2014, Heidelberg
2. Conference on Genome Regulation and Nuclear Dynamics in Health and Disease, DKFZ-ZMBH Alliance, 2014, Heidelberg
3. 17th International AEK Cancer Congress, 2013, Heidelberg
4. New Cancer Targets, National Center for Tumor Diseases (NCT) Conference, 2013, Heidelberg
5. NGFN, International Projects in Medical Genome Research Meeting 2012, DKFZ, Heidelberg
- Ph.D. thesis completion scholarship, German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ), Regulation of NF-kB signaling and cell cycle progression by miRNA-30c-2-3p in breast cancer
- Doctoral Fellowship, University of Heidelberg, Germany, Regulation of NF-kB signaling and cell cycle progression by miRNA-30c-2-3p in breast cancer
- Junior Research Fellow, Council of Scientific & Industrial Research (CSIR), India
- Scholarship for Masters', Department of Biotechnology, Government of India, Role of Bradykinin in differentiation and its molecular mode of action in MG-63, human osteosarcoma cell line
- Award for Academic Excellence in Bachelor study, University of Delhi