Lim Yau Yan
PhD (University of Illinois, USA)
Telephone: (+603) 5514 6000,
Ext: 46103 (DID: 551 6103)
Room number: 4-8-21 (Building 4, Level 8, No. 21)
- Area of Expertise
- Research Interest
- Selected Journal Papers
- Postgraduate Research Supervisor
- External Relations/Affiliations
- Food chemistry
- Natural products
- Inorganic chemistry
Antioxidants, Bioactivity, herbal plants processing - drying, transition metal chemistry
Tan J B L, Lim Y Y. Critical analysis of current methods for assessing the in vitro antioxidant and antibacterial activity of plant extracts. Food Chemistry 2015, 172, 814-822.
Tan J B L, Lim Y Y and Lee S M. Antioxidant and antibacterial activity of Rhoeo Spathacea (Swartz) Stern leaves. J Food Sci and Technology, 2015, 52, 2394–2400
Wong S K, Lim Y Y, Ling S K and Chan E W C. Caffeoylquinic acids in leaves of selected Apocynaceae species: their isolation and content. Pharmacognosy Research, 2014, 6, 67-72.
Lim T Y, Lim Y Y and Yule C M. Bioactivity of Macaranga leaves in tropical peat swamp and non-peat swamp environments. Journal of Tropical Forest Science, 2014, 26, 134-141.
Wong S K, Lim Y Y, Ling S K and Chan E W C. Antiproliferative activity of Valaris glabra Kuntz (Apocynaceae). Pharmacognosy Magazine, 2014, 10, S232-S239.
Tan J B L, Lim Y Y and Lee S M. Rhoeo spathacea (swartz) stearn leaves, a potential natural food colorant. J Functional Foods, 2014, 7, 443-451.
Loh J Y, Lim Y Y, Harmin S A, and Ting A S Y. In vitro assessment on intestinal microflora from commonly farmed fishes for control of the fish pathogen Edwardsiella tarda. Turk J Vet Anim Sci., 2014, 38, 257-263.
Chew Y L, Lim Y Y, Stanslas J, Ee G C L, Goh J K. Bioactivity-guided isolation of anticancer agents from bauhinia kockiana korth. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med., 2014, 11, 291-299.
Tan J B L, Yap W J, Tan S Y, Lim Y Y, Lee S M. Antioxidant content, antioxidant activity and antibacterial activity of five plants from the Commelinaceae family. Antioxidants, 2014, 3, 758-769
Pushpamalar V, Langford S, Ahmad M and Lim Y Y. Preparation of Carboxymethyl Sago Pulp Hydrogel from Sago Waste by Electron Beam Irradiation and Swelling Behaviour in Water and Various pH Media. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2013, 128, 451-459.
Pushpamalar V, Langford S, Ahmad M, Hashim K B and Lim Y Y. Adsorption Characterization of Ca2+, Na+ and K+ on Irradiation Crosslinked Carboxymethyl Sago Pulp Hydrogel. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2013, 128, 1828-1833.
Wong SK, Lim YY, Chan EWC, (2013) Botany, uses, phytochemistry and pharmacology of Apocynaceae species: A review. Pharmacognosy Communications, 3(3), 2–11.
Chong K L, and Lim Y Y. Effects of Drying on the Antioxidant Properties of Herbal Tea from Selected Vitex species. Journal of Food Quality, 2012, 35, 51-59.
Chong, K.L. And Lim, Y.Y. (2012), Effects Of Drying On The Antioxidant Properties Of Herbal Tea From Selected Vitex Species. Journal Of Food Quality, 35: 51–59. Doi: 10.1111/J.1745-4557.2011.00422.X
Wong S K, Lim Y Y, Abdullah N R, Nordin F J (2011) Antioxidant, antiproliferative and antiplasmodial activities of leaf extracts of five Apocynaceae species. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 11:3
Chew YL, Chan EWL, Tan PL, Goh JK, Lim YY (2011) Preliminary assessment on phytochemical content, polyphenolic composition, antioxidant and antiobacterial activities of Leguminosae medicinal plants in Peninsular Malaysia. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 11:12
Wong S K, Lim Y Y, Abdullah N R and Nordin F J. Antioxidant, antiproliferative and antiplasmodial activities of leaf extracts of five Apocynaceae species. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2011, 11:3
Chan E W C, Lim Y Y, and Tan S P. Standardised herbal extract of chlorogenic acid from leaves of Etlingera elatior (Zingiberaceae). Pharmacognosy Research, 2011, 3, 178-184.
Chew Y L, Chan E W L, Tan P L, Goh J K, and Lim Y Y. Preliminary assessment on phytochemical content, polyphenolic composition, antioxidant and antiobacterial activities of Leguminosae medicinal plants in Peninsular Malaysia. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2011, 11:12
Wong S K, Lim Y Y, Abdullah N R and Nordin F J. Antiproliferative and phytochemical analyses of leaf extracts of ten Apocynaceae species. Pharmacognosy Research, 2011, 3, 100-106.
Chan E W C, Lim Y Y, and Wong S K. Antioxidant properties of ginger leaves: An overview. Free Radicals and Antioxidants, 2011, 1, 6-16.
Lai H Y and Lim Y Y. Evaluation of Antioxidant Activities of the Methanolic Extracts of Selected Ferns in Malaysia. International Journal of Environmental Science and Development, 2011, 2, 442-447.
Chan EWC, Lim YY, Chong KL, Tan JBL, Wong SK (2010) Antioxidant properties of tropical and temperate herbal teas. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis 23: 185-189
Lai HY, Lim YY (2010) Blechnum orientale Linn- A fern with potential as antioxidant, anticancer and antibacterial agent. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine 10:15
Chan E W C, Lim Y Y, Chong K L, Tan J B L, Wong S K. Antioxidant properties of tropical and temperate herbal teas. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, 2010, 23, 185-189.
Lai H Y and Lim Y Y. Blechnum orientale Linn- A fern with potential as antioxidant, anticancer and antibacterial agent. BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2010, 10:15
Chan E W C, Lim Y Y and Nor Azah M A. Composition and antibacterial activity of essential oils from leaves of Etlingera species (Zingiberaceae). International Journal for the Advancement of Science and Arts, 2010, 1, 1-12.
PhD Students (Present)
- Hikari Oh Kan Fu
- Yew Peng Nian
- Shumaila Tahir
PhD Students (Completed)
- Eric Chan Wei Chiang: Bioactivities and Chemical Constituents of Leaves of Some Etlingera Species (Zingiberaceae) in Peninsular Malaysia (2009)
- Lai How Yee: Bioactivities and Chemical Constituents of Several Ferns in Malaysia, with Emphasis on Blechnum Orientale Linn. (2010)
- Chew Yik Ling: Bioactivity and Chemical Constituents of Selected Medicinal Plants from Leguminosae Family in Malaysia (2011)
- Lim Tse Yuen: Environmental Effects Affecting Phenolic Production in Macaranga pruinosa in the Tropical Peat Swamp Forest (2012)
- Wong Siu Kuin: Bioactivities and Chemical Constituents of Leaves of Selected Apocynaceae Species in Peninsular Malaysia (2013)
- Joash Tan Ban Lee: Bioactivity and Chemical Constituents of Rhoeo Spathacea and Rhoeo Discolor with emphasis on R Spathacea (2013)
- Chung Felicia Fei Lei: Potential Effects of Cerbera Odollan Leaf Extracts and Neriifolin Exposure in Breast Cancer Treatment and Progression (2014)
Honours Students (Completed)
- Ivan Pradipta (2014)
- Janet Tan Jia Yin(2014)
- Yong Ee Wing Joshua (2010)
- Joash Tan Ban Lee (2010)
- Chong Kok Leong (2009)
- Lee Shu Mei (2009)
- Wong Siu Kuin (2008)
- Tan Shiau Pin (2008)
- Lim Kim Kiat(2007)
- Chew Yik Ling(2007)
- Christina Evy Koe (2006)
- Kavinash Loganathan (2006)
- Wong Li Fang (2006)
- Lim Yat Yan (2006)
- Johannes Murtijaya (2005)
- Eric Chan Wei Chiang (2005)
- Elaine Quah Phaik Ling (2005)
- Eileen Ngieng (2004)
- Ginny Lim Theng Teng (2003)
- Liew Li Phing (2002)
- Preparation of antioxidative, antibacterial and anticancer proanthocyanidins from Blechnum orientale Linn., Methods of Preparation and Applications Thereof
Patent filing number and year: PI2013000995 (21 March 2013)
- Natural Food Colorant and Method of Preparation Thereof
Patent filing number and year: PI2014702542 (9 September 2014)
- Regular reviewer for international journals, some with high impact factor: Food Chemistry; Journal of Food Science;Journal of Food Science and Technology LWT- Food Science and Technology; Pharmaceutical Biology; Molecules; Malaysian Journal of Chemistry
- Fellow of Academy of Science Malaysia