Ting Su Yien, Adeline
Associate Professor and Head of Discipline, Biological Sciences
School of Science
Associate Professor Adeline Ting completed her Bachelor of Horticultural Science, Masters of Agricultural Science, and PhD (Plant Pathology) at UPM, studying “Endophytic microorganisms for improvement of banana vigour and tolerance to Fusarium wilt”. She was affiliated with Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman from 2005 to early 2010. She joined Monash University Malaysia in March 2010 as Lecturer B, then as Senior Lecturer in 2013, and gradually Associate Professor since 2017. Her current interests are in Applied Microbiology, primarily in bioprospecting and harnessing of microorganisms (with special interest on endophytes) for use as biocontrol agents, (plant disease control), as bioremediative agents (toxic metal and dye removal), as valuable sources of novel, active compounds and derivatives (enzymes, metabolites). Adeline is highly research-active throughout her academic career. She successfully secured six external grants as Principal Investigator from the Ministry of Education Malaysia and the Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation Malaysia. As of 2018, she has published more than 50 refereed journal articles, and 7 invited book chapters. Her research team currently consists of 7 PhD students. Adeline has received several awards which include the Gold Medal in ITEX 2018, the National Outstanding Researcher Award (Biological Science) 2018 conferred by the Private Education Cooperative of Malaysia, and the recipient of the PVC’s Award for Research Excellence by an Early Career Researcher (2013).
In other duties, she is currently the Head of Discipline (Biological Science) and the Graduate Research Coordinator. She is the Chair of the School Graduate Research Committee, a member of the School Senior Management Committee, School Research Committee and School Education Committee.
Adeline loves working with students, believing every student has great potential to accomplish great things in life. She is also a firm supporter of work-life-balance, and strives to maintain this while producing high-quality outputs throughout her research and teaching career.
- Doctor of Philosophy, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 2006
- Master in Agricultural Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 2001
- Bachelor of Horticultural Science, Universiti Putra Malaysia, 1999
- Applied microbiology
I explore and harness various bacteria and fungi (with special interest on endophytes) for use as biocontrol or bioremediative agents. Applications include control of plant diseases, toxic metal and dye removal, hydrocarbon degradation and compost management. I am also interested in sourcing compounds and derivatives (enzymes, metabolites) from these microbes for various uses.
- BTH2820 (Crop Science)
- BTH3732 (Environmental Microbiology)
- BTH2830 (Fundamentals of Microbiology)
Yap LS, Ting ASY*. 2019. Heat and chemical pre-treatment of bacterial cells to enhance metal removal. In Chandra R. Microbes for sustainable development and bioremediation. CRC Press. (In-press)
Gan PT, Ting ASY*. 2019. Light-mediation as a strategy to induce production of valuable microbial-based compounds. In Arora PK.Microbial technology for welfare of society. Springer. (In-press)
Santiago KAA, Ting ASY* 2019. Endolichenic fungi from common lichens as new sources for valuable bioactive compounds. In: Akhtar MS, Swamy MK, Sinniah UR. (eds.) Natural bioactive compounds: production and applications. Springer Nature Singapore. (In-press)
Ting ASY.* 2018. Green approach: Microbes for removal of dyes and metals via ion binding. In: Inamuddin (ed.) Applications of ion exchange materials in the environment. Springer Press UK. (In press)
Sim CSF, Chen SH and Ting ASY* 2019. Endophytes: Emerging tools for the bioremediation of pollutants. In: Bharagava R., Chowdhary P. (eds) Emerging and Eco-Friendly Approaches for Waste Management. Springer, Singapore. Pp 189-217. Print ISBN:978-981-10-8668-7, Online ISBN: 978-981-10-8669-4 (https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-8669-4_10) (Invited-Book Chapter)
Chow YY, Tan WS, Ting ASY.* 2018. Fungal endophytes from anticancer plants as producers of the antitumour agent L-asparaginase: a look at diversity, ubiquity and enzyme production. In:Akhtar, M., Swamy, M. (eds.) Anticancer plants: Natural products and biotechnological implements. Springer Nature Singapore. Pp 233-253. ISBN 978-981-10-8063-0; EBook ISBN 978-981-10-8064-7 (DOI: 10.1007/978-981-10-8064-7) (Invited-Book Chapter)
Yap LS, Lee WL and Ting ASY* 2017. Endophytes from Malaysian medicinal plants as sources for discovery of anticancer agents. In: Agrawal, D.C., Tsay, H.S., Shyur, L.F., Wu, Y.C., Wang, S.Y. (Eds.) Medicinal plants and fungi-Recent advances in research and development. Springer, Singapore. Pp 313-335. (ISBN 978-981-10-5977-3) (Invited-Book Chapter)
Chen SH and Ting ASY.* 2017. Microfungi for the removal of toxic triphenylmethane dyes. In: Kalia, V.C., Shouche, Y., Purohit, H.J., Rahi, P. (Eds.) Mining for microbial wealth and metagenomics. Springer, Singapore. (ISBN 978-981-10-5708-3) Springer, Singapore. Pp 405-429. (Invited-Book Chapter)
Loh J.Y. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2017. Bioprospecting gastrointestinal microflora of common fishes for disease control in aquaculture. In: Kalia, V.C., Shouche, Y., Purohit, H.J., Rahi, P. (Eds.) Mining for microbial wealth and metagenomics. Springer, Singapore. Pp 161-182. (ISBN 978-981-10-5708-3) (Invited-Book Chapter)
Ting, A.S.Y.* 2015. Microbial cells dead or alive: prospect, potential and innovations for heavy metal removal. In: Chandra R. (ed.) Advances in Biodegradation and Bioremediation of Industrial Waste. CRC Press Boca Raton, Florida. Pp. 31-65. (ISBN 9781498700542) (Invited Book-Chapter)
Ting, A.S.Y.* 2014. Biosourcing endophytes as biocontrol agents of wilt diseases. In: Verma, V.C. and Gange, A.C. (eds.) Advances in Endophytic Research. Springer India. Pp. 283-300. (ISBN 978-81-322-1575-2) (Invited Book-Chapter)
Chen, S.H., Cheow, Y.L., Ng, Si.L., and Ting A.S.Y.* 2019. Mechanisms for metal removal established via electron microscopy and spectroscopy: a case study on metal tolerant fungi Penicillium simplicissimum. Journal of Hazardous Matrials, 362:394-402. (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhazmat.2018.08.077)
Chow, Y.Y., Rahman, S. and Ting A.S.Y.*2019. Evaluting the host defense reponses in oil palm to complex biocontrol endophyte-pathogen-host plant interaction via Fluidigm® real-time polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR). Biological Control (in-press)(https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocontrol.2018.10.011)
Chow, Y.Y. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2018. Influence of fungal infection on plant tissues: FTIR detects compositional changes to plant cell walls. Fungal Ecology (in-press).
Chen, S.H., Cheow, Y.L., Ng, S.L., and Ting A.S.Y.* 2018. Influence of dyes on metal removal: a study using live and dead cells of Penicillium simplicissimum in single metal and dye-metal mixtures". Water, Air Soil Pollution(accepted, in-press).
Chow, Y.Y., Rahman, S. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2018. Interaction dynamics between endophytic biocontrol agents and pathogen in the host plant studied via quantitative real-time polymerase chain reaction (qPCR) approach.Biological Control, 125:44-49 (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biocontrol.2018.06.010)
Loh, J.Y.*, Kay, G.L. and Ting A.S.Y. 2018. Bioencapsulation and colonization characteristics of Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis CF4MRS in Artemia franciscana: a biological approach for the control of Edwardsiellosis in larviculture. Marine Biotechnology, 20(3): 353-362 (https://doi.org/10.1007/s10126-018-9813-9)
Munck, C., Thierry, E., Gräßle, S., Chen, S.H. and Ting, A.S.Y.* 2018. Biofilm formation of filamentous fungi Coriolopsis sp. on simple muslin cloth to enhance removal of triphenylmethane dyes. Journal of Environmental Management, 214: 261-266.
Sim, C.S.F., Cheow, Y.L., Ng, S.L. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2018. Discovering metal-tolerant endophytic fungi from the phytoremediator plant Phragmites. Water Air Soil Pollution, 229:68 (DOI: 10.1007/s11270-018-3733-1)
Gan, P.T., Ting A.S.Y.* 2017. Our tea-drinking habits: effects of brewing cycles and infusion time on total phenol content and antioxidants of common t. Journal of Culinary Science & Technology, in-press, DOI: 10.1080/15428052.2017.1409673
Chow, Y.Y., Ting A.S.Y.* 2017. Influence of glucose and L-asparagine concentrations on L-asparaginase production by endophytic fungi. Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Food Sciences, 7(2): 186-189.
Marcharchand S., Ting A.S.Y.* 2017. Trichoderma asperellum cultured in reduced concentrations of synthetic medium retained dye decolourization efficacy. Journal of Environmental Management, 203:542-549.
Yoo H.S., Ting A.S.Y.* 2017. In vitro endophyte-host plant interaction study to hypothetically describe endophyte survival and antifungal activities in planta. Acta Biologica Szegediensis, 61(1):1-11.
Chen S.H., Ng S.L., Cheow Y.L., Ting A.S.Y.* 2017. A novel study based on adaptive metal tolerance behavior in fungi and SEM-EDX analysis. Journal of Hazardous Materials, 334: 132-141.
Sim C.S.F. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2017. Metal removal from multi-metal solutions by metal-tolerant Stenotrophomonas maltophilia isolated from river sediment. Desalination and Water Treatment, 68:267-273.
Sim C.S.F. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2017. FTIR and kinetic modelling of fungal biosorbent Trichoderma asperellum for the removal of Pb(II), Cu(II), Zn(II) and Cd(II) from multi-metal solutions. Desalination and Water Treatment, 63:167-171.
Sim C.S.F. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2017. Metal biosorption in single- and multi-metal solutions by biosorbents: Indicators of efficacy in natural wastewater. CLEAN-Soil, Air, Water, 45(1) (DOI:10.1002/clen.201600049)
Cheong S.L., Cheow Y.L. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2017. Characterizing antagonistic activities and host compatibility (via simple endophyte-calli test) of endophytes as biocontrol agents of Ganoderma boninense. Biological Control, 105: 86-92.
Chow Y.Y., Rahman S. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2017. Understanding colonization and proliferation potential of endophytes and pathogen in planta via plating, polymerase chain reaction and ergosterol assay. Journal of Advanced Research, 8:13-21.
Loh J.Y.*, Lim Y.Y., and Ting A.S.Y. 2017. Bacteriocin-like substances produced by Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis CF4MRS isolated from fish intestine: Antimicrobial activities and inhibitory properties. International Food Research Journal, 24(1): 394-400.
Ting A.S.Y.*, Chow Y.Y. and Rahman S. 2016. Comparing growth of fast-growing and slow-growing endophytes in plants via ergosterol quantification. BMC Plant Biology, 16(Suppl 2): 226
Hermanto A., Ting A.S.Y.* 2016.Comparative effect of L-asparagine and sodium nitrate in inducing L-asparaginase production by endophytic Fusarium sp. Acta Biologica Szegediensis, 60(2):145-150.
Ting A.S.Y.*, Lee M.V.J., Chow Y.Y., and Cheong S.L. 2016. Novel exploration of endophytic Diaporthe sp. for the biosorption and biodegradation of triphenylmethane dyes. Water, Air, and Soil Pollution, 227:109 (DOI: 10.1007/s11270-016-2810-6)
Loh J.Y.* and Ting A.S.Y. 2016. Effects of potential probiotic Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis on digestive enzyme activities of live feed Artemia franciscana. Aquaculture International, 24: 1341. (DOI:10.1007/s10499-016-9991-2)
Akinsanya M. A., Goh J.K., Lim S.P. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2015. Biodiversity, enzymatic and antimicrobial activities of bacterial endophytes in selected local medicinal plants. Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Research, 5(1):76-88.
Ting A.S.Y.* and Jioe E. 2016. In vitro assessment of antifungal activities of antagonistic fungi towards pathogenic Ganoderma boninense under metal stress. Biological Control, 96: 57-63.
Chew S.Y. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2016. Biosorption behaviour of alginate-immobilized Trichoderma asperellum, a common microfungi in single- and multi-metal systems. Separation Science and Technology,51(5): 743-748.
Chew S.Y. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2016. Common filamentous Trichoderma asperellum for effective removal of triphenylmethane dyes. Desalination and Water Treatment, 57(29): 13534-13539
Sim C.S.F., Tan W.S. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2016. Endophytes from Phragmites for metal removal: evaluating their metal tolerance, adaptive tolerance behaviour and biosorption efficacy. Desalination and Water Treatment, 57(15): 6959-6966. (DOI:10.1080/19443994.2015.1013507)
Akinsanya M. A., Goh J.K., Lim S.P. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2015. Diversity, antimicrobial and antioxidant activities of culturable bacterial endophyte communities in Aloe vera. FEMS Microbiology Letters,362 (23): fnv184 (doi:10.1093/femsle/fnv184).
Akinsanya M. A., Goh J.K., Lim S.P. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2015. Metagenomics study of endophytic bacteria in Aloe vera using next-generation technology. Genomics Data, 6:159-163.
Loh J.Y. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2015. Bioencapsulation of probiotic Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis on Artemia franciscana nauplii: effects of encapsulation media on nauplii survival and probiotic recovery. Malaysian Journal of Microbiology (Special Issue-Invited paper), 11(2):121-127.
Akinsanya M.A., Goh J.K., Lim S.P. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2015. Antimicrobial and enzymatic activities of endophytic bacteria isolated from Mentha spicata (Mint). Malaysian Journal of Microbiology (Special Issue-Invited paper),11(2): 102-108.
Loh J.Y.* and Ting A.S.Y. 2015. Comparative study of analogue hormones and the embryonic, larval and juvenile development on the induced breeding of climbing perch (Anabas testudineus, Bloch, 1792).International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies, 2(5): 277-284.
Chen S.H. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2015. Biosorption and biodegradation potential of triphenylmethane dyes by newly discovered Penicillium simplicissimum isolated from indoor wastewater sample. International Biodeterioration and Biodegradation, 103: 1-7.
Zacky F.A. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2015. Biocontrol of Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. cubense tropical race 4 by formulated cells and cell-free extracts of Streptomyces griseus in sterile soil environment. Biocontrol Science and Technology, 25:6, 685-696.
Ting A.S.Y.* and Chai J.Y. 2015. Chitinase and β-1,3-glucanase activities of Trichoderma harzianum in response towards pathogenic and non-pathogenic isolates: early indications of compatibility in consortium. Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology, 4: 109-113.
Chen S.H. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2015. Biodecolorization and biodegradation potential of recalcitrant triphenylmethane dyes by Coriolopsis sp. isolated from compost. Journal of Environmental Management, 150:274-280.
Chow Y.Y. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2015. Endophytic L-asparaginase-producing fungi from plants associated with anticancer properties. Journal of Advanced Research, 6:869-876.
Ting A.S.Y.*, Hermanto A. and Peh K.L. 2014. Indigenous actinomycetes from empty fruit bunch compost of oil palm: Evaluation on enzymatic and antagonistic properties. Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology, 3:310-315.
Tan W.S. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2014. Kinetic and equilibrium modelling on Copper (II) removal by live and dead cells of Trichoderma asperellum and the impact of pre-treatments on biosorption. Separation Science and Technology, 49(13):2025-2030.
Wong Y.M., Juan J.C.*, Ting A.S.Y., Wu T.Y. 2014. High efficiency bio-hydrogen production from glucose revealed in an inoculum of heat-pretreated landfill leachate sludge. Energy, 72: 628-635.
Lee J.M., Tan W.S. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2014. Revealing the antimicrobial and enzymatic potentials of culturable fungal endophytes from tropical pitcher plants (Nepenthes spp.). Mycosphere, 5(2):351-364.
Loh J.Y., Lim Y.Y., Harmin S.A. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2014. In vitro assessment on intestinal microflora from commonly farmed fishes for control of the fish pathogen Edwardsiella tarda. Turkish Journal of Veterinary and Animal Sciences, 38: 257-263.
Wong Y.M., Juan J.C.*, Ting A.S.Y., Wu T.Y., Gan H.M. and Austin C.M. 2014. Draft genome sequence of Clostridium sp. strain Ade.TY, a new biohydrogen- and biochemical-producing bacterium isolated from landfill leachate sludge. Genome Announcements, 2(2):e00078-14. doi:10.1128/genomeA.00078-14.
Tan W.S. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2014. Alginate-immobilized bentonite clay: adsorption efficacy and reusability for Cu(II) removal from aqueous solution. Bioresource Technology, 160:115-118.
Ting A.S.Y.*, Abdul Rahman, N.H., Mahamad Isa, M.I.H. and Tan, W.S. 2013. Investigating metal removal potential by Effective Microorganisms (EM) in alginate-immobilized and free-cell forms. Bioresource Technology,147:636-639.
Zacky, F.A. and Ting, A.S.Y.* 2013. Investigating the bioactivity of cells and cell-free extracts of Streptomyces griseus towards Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. cubense race 4. Biological Control, 66:204-208.
Ting, A.S.Y.*, Chow, YY and Tan, WS. 2013. Microbial and heavy metal contamination in commonly consumed traditional Chinese herbal medicines. Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine, 33(1):119-124.
Ting, A.S.Y.*, Tay, Hq., Peh, K.L., Tan, W.S. and Tee, C.S. 2013. Novel isolation of thermophilic Ureibacillus terrenus from compost of Empty Fruit Bunches (EFB) of oil palm and its enzymatic activities. Biocatalysis and Agricultural Biotechnology, 2:162-164.
Wong, Y.M., Wu, T.Y. Ting, A.S.Y. and Juan, J.C.* 2012. Bio-hydrogen production using heat-treated landfill leachate sludge. International Proceedings of Chemical, Biological and Environmental Engineering (IPCBEE), 49:41-45.
Tan, W.S. and Ting, A.S.Y.* 2012. Efficacy and reusability of alginate-immobilized live and heat-inactivated Trichoderma asperellum cells for Cu (II) removal from aqueous solution. Bioresource Technology, 123:290-295.
Tee, C.S.*, Siow, T.S. and Ting, A.S.Y. 2012. Plant regeneration studies of Jatropha curcas using induced embryogenic callus from cotyledon explants. African Journal of Biotechnology, 11(31): 8022-8031.
Ting, A.S.Y.*, Mah S.W. and Tee, C.S. 2012. Evaluating the feasibility of induced host resistance by endophytic isolate Penicillium citrinum BTF08 as a control mechanism for Fusarium wilt in banana plantlets. Biological Control 61:155-159.
Ting, A.S.Y.*, Mah S.W. and Tee, C.S. 2011. Detection of potential volatile inhibitory compounds produced by endobacteria with biocontrol properties towards Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. cubense race 4. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 27(2): 229-235. DOI:10.1007/s11274-010-0447-y.
Ting, A.S.Y.*, Fang, M.T., Tee, C.S. 2011. Efficacy of Clay-Based Formulated Serratia in Reducing Inoculum ofFusarium oxysporum f.sp. cubense race 4. Acta Horticulturae 897, 421-426.
Ting, A.S.Y.*, Fang M.T. and Tee C.S. 2010. Evaluation on the efficacy of formulated Pseudomonas cells in degrading the aromatic hydrocarbon toluene. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 4(8):3122-3127.
Ting, A.S.Y.*, Mah, S.W. and Tee C.S. 2010. Identification of volatile metabolites from fungal endophytes with biocontrol potential towards Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. cubense race 4. American Journal of Agricultural and Biological Sciences, 5(2):177-182.
Ting, A.S.Y.*, Tan, S.H., Wai, M.K. and Chee, L.E. 2010. Characterization of actinobacteria with antifungal potential against Fusarium crown-rot pathogen. Pest Technology, 4(1):65-69.
Ting, A.S.Y.*, Meon, S., Kadir, J., Radu, S. and Singh, G. 2010. Induction of host defense enzymes by the endophytic bacterium Serratia marcescens in banana plantlets. International Journal of Pest Management. 56 (2): 183-188. DOI: 10.1080/09670870903324198.
Ting, A.S.Y.*, Fang M.T. and Tee C.S. 2010. An in vitro assessment on the efficacy of clay-based formulated cells of Pseudomonas isolate UTAR EPA2 for petrol degradation. American Journal of Applied Sciences, 7(2): 178-184.
Ting, A.S.Y.* and Choong, C.C. 2009.Utilization of non-viable cells compared to viable cells ofStenotrophomonas maltophilia for copper (Cu(II)) removal from aqueous solutions. Advances in Environmental Biology, 3(2):204-209.
Ting, A.S.Y.*, Sariah, M., Kadir, K. and Gurmit, S. 2009. Field evaluation of non-pathogenic Fusarium oxysporum isolates UPM31P1 and UPM39B3 for the control of Fusarium wilt in ‘Pisang Berangan’ (Musa, AAA). Acta Horticulturae 828: 139-144.
Ting, A.S.Y.*, Tan, S.H. and Wai, M.K. 2009. Isolation and characterization of Actinobacteria with antibacterial activity from soil and rhizosphere soil. Australian Journal of Basic and Applied Sciences, 3(4): 4053-4059.
Ting, A.S.Y.*, Fang, M.T. and Tee C.S. 2009. Assessment on the effect of formulative materials on the viability and efficacy of Serratia marcescens-a biocontrol agent against Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. cubense race 4. American Journal of Agricultural and Biological Sciences, 4(4): 283-288.
Ting, A.S.Y.*, Meon, S., Kadir, J., Radu, S. and Singh, G. 2009. Induced host resistance by non-pathogenicFusarium endophyte as a potential defense mechanism in Fusarium wilt management of banana. Pest Technology, 3(1):67-72 .
Ting, A.S.Y.*, Mah, S.W. and Tee, C.S. 2009. Prevalence of endophytes antagonistic towards Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. cubense race 4 in various plants. American-Eurasian Journal of Sustainable Agriculture, 3(3): 399-406.
Ting, A.S.Y.*, Tan, C.H.C. and Aw, C.S. 2009. Hydrocarbon-degradation by isolate Pseudomonas lundensisUTAR FPE2. Malaysian Journal of Microbiology, 5(2): 104-108.
Ting, A.S.Y.* and Choong, C.C. 2009. Bioaccumulation and biosorption efficacy of Trichoderma isolate SP2F1 in removing copper (Cu(II)) from aqueous solutions. World Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, 25:1431-1437. (DOI: 10.1007/s11274-009-0030-6).
Ting, A.S.Y.*, Tan, L.M. and Ling, A.P.K. 2009. In vitro assessment of tolerance of Orthosiphon stamineus to induced water and salinity stress. Asian Journal of Plant Sciences, 8 (3): 206-211.
Ting, A.S.Y.* and deCosta, J.L. 2009. Comparison of the viability of probiotics from various cultured-milk drinks in a simulated pH study of the human gastrointestinal tract. International Food Research Journal, 16:59-64.
Adeline, S.Y. Ting*, Sariah Meon, Jugah Kadir, Son Radu and Gurmit Singh. 2008. Endophytic microorganisms as potential growth-promoters of banana. Biocontrol, 53 (3): 541-553.
Ting, ASY*, de Cruz, G. and Chan, HY. 2008. Comparison of forest soils and waste-contaminated soils as sources of polysaccharide-degrading microbes. Journal of Applied Biosciences, 3:67-75.
A.S.Y. Ting*, Meon, S., Jugah, K. and A. R. Anuar. June 2003. Effect of artificially induced suppressive soil on Fusarium wilt. INFOMUSA. Vol 12, No. 1, pp 33-34.
Adeline, T.S.Y.*, Sariah. M., Jugah, K., Anuar, A.R. 2000. Effect of ‘induced’ suppressive soil to Fusarium development. Transaction of the Malaysian Society of Plant Physiology, 9:351-353.
- Ting, ASY, Subramaniam, RT, 2014, Metalophilic fungi for removal of dyes and heavy metals: Investigations on efficacy and mechanisms of removal, Ministry of Higher Education, RM90k
- Ting, ASY, Tee, CS, 2013, Exploring Colonization Behavior of Endophytic Biocontrol Agents in Non-Native Host Plants for Plant Disease Control, Ministry of Higher Education, RM79k
- Ting, ASY, Tee, CS, 2011, Biosourcing for hydrolytic isolates and their manipulation for sustainable oil palm waste management, Ministry of Higher Education, RM69k
- Ting, ASY, 2008, Screening for endophytes from various host species as biocontrol agents against Fusarium wilt of banana, Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovations, RM198k
- Ting, ASY, 2007, Effect of additives and enhancement materials on the viability and efficacy of formulated beneficial microbes, Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovations, RM135k
- Ting, ASY, 2007, Travel grant by SEARCA (for the ISHS Symposium: Recent advances in banana crop protection for sustainable production and improved livelihoods in South Africa), SEARCA, sponsored air-fare
- Ting, ASY, 2003, Travel grant by ProMusa ISHS-INIBAP (for the 2nd International Symposium on Fusarium Wilt on Banana in Brazil), ProMusa-INIBAP, ISHS, sponsored air-fare and registration fee
PhD Students (Present)
- Carrie Sim Siew Fang - Evaluating the use of metal-tolerant endophytes as plant-growth promoters and biocontrol agents in metal-laden acidic soils (main supervision)
- Krystle Angelique Santiago - Bioactive compounds from endolichenic fungi
- Yap Ling Sze - L-asparaginase produced from endophytes: production, optimization and anticancer activities
- Chin Jia May - Biopriming of seeds to improve tolerance against biotic and abiotic stresses
- Nurul Hidayah Adenan - Actinobacteria and their potential in removal of triphenylmethane dyes
- Gan Peck Ting - Influence of light-mediation on the production of bioactive compounds by fungi
- Goh Yit Kheng - Investigating biotic and abiotic components in Blenheim soil series (Typic Quartzipsamment) in suppressing Basal Stem Rot (BSR) incidence of oil palm
PhD Students (Completed)
- Wong Yee Meng - Production of biohydrogen from landfill leachate (co-supervision) (2015)
- James Loh Jiun Yan - Bioencapsulation and Disease Suppression Studies of Beneficial Bacteria Against Edwardsiella tarda Infection in Climbing Perch larvae (Anabas testudineus, Bloch) (main supervision)
- Mushafau Akinsanya - Genetic survey and characterization of endophytic bacteria with medicinal properties (main supervision)
- Shane Tan Wei Shang - Diversity and Bioactive Compounds of Endophytic Fungi from Medicinal Plants (main supervision)
- Roy Cheong Siew Loon - Endophytic biocontrol agents from non-native host plants for the control of Ganoderma in oil palm (main supervision)
- Chow Yiing Yng - Colonization studies of endophytic biocontrol agents in non-native host plants (main supervision)
- Chen Si Hui - Metalophilic fungi for removal of dyes and heavy metals: investigations on efficacy and mechanisms of removal (main supervision)
Honours Student (Present)
Honours Students (Completed)
- Shane Tan Wei Shang – Efficacy of Cu(II) removal by formulated viable and non-viable Trichoderma cells
- Fathima Ameena Zacky – Antifungal activity of formulated and non-formulated metabolites and free-cells of Streptomyces griseus towards Fusarium oxysporum f.sp cubense race 4
- Hayden Wang Shao Jie – Antimicrobial activity and the effects of nutrients on streptomycin production by Streptomyces griseus isolate St20
- Chen Si Hui-Removal of triphenylmethane dyes by filamentous fungi
- Yoo Hye Seung-Colonization behaviour of endophytic fungal antagonists in banana host plants
- Chow Yiing Yng-L-asparaginase production and optimization in endophytes from local plants with anticancer properties
- Alex Hermanto - Optimization of L-asparaginase production in endophytes
- Carrie Sim Siew Fang - Metal uptake preference by mixed microbial biosorbents
- Chew Sze Ying - Alginate-immobilization of microbial biomass for dye and metal removal
- Vinusha Padmanathan- Thermo-effect on beneficial properties of edible mushrooms
- Hwan Khing Yuan- Effects of storage and cooking temperatures on macrofungi
- Samriti Marcharchand-Effect of nutrients on efficacy of dye removal by Trichoderma asperellum.
- Yap Ling Sze-Heat and chemical treatment of biosorbents for metal removal
- Gan Peck Ting- Influence of sugar and milk on antioxidants and phenolics in teas
- Kok Su Ean - Comparative analysis of cold-tolerant bacteria and fungi for removal of triphenylmethane dyes
- Caleb Cheah- Pre-treatment and their effects on fruit waste for removal of toxic metals
3rd Year Project (Completed)
- Vonny Ivon Leo – Antimicrobial activity of endophytes isolated from some Malaysian ornamental shrubs with traditional medicinal values
- Lim Su Jin – Metallophilic fungal isolates: identification and metal removal potential
- Carolyn Tay Huiqing – Hydrolytic activity of thermophilic isolates from Empty Fruit Bunches (EFB) compost
- Chow Yiing Yng – Analysis of biosafety of commonly used Chinese herbal medicine
- Alex Hermanto – Investigating enzymatic activities of actinobacteria from EFB compost and their antagonistic potential against Ganoderma boninense
- Lee Jin Min – Enzymatic and antimicrobial activities of endophytes from pitcher plants (Nepethes sp.)
- Carrie Sim Siew Fang- Metal tolerance and biosorption potential of endophytic fungi from Phragmites
- Chai Jing Yun-Modulated enzymatic response of the mycoparasites Trichoderma harzianum towards pathogenic and non-pathogenic isolates.
- Melvin Lee Vun Jye – Dye removal by viable and non-viable cells of endophytic Diaporthe phaseolorum (WAA002).
- Christina Efstathiou (SupBiotech Internship Project) – Batch studies for pre-treated Diaporthe phaseolorum (WAA002).
- Meghna Jahajeeah – Antifungal activities of endophytes towards Fusarium oxysporum f.sp. cubenserace 4 under metal stress.
- Erica Jioe- Antifungal activities of endophytes towards Ganoderma boninense under metal stress.
- Melvin Disastra-Physico-chemical treatments and their influence on dye removal efficacy of Coriolopsis sp. (1c3)
- Tan Yen Yen-Physico-chemical treatments and their influence on dye removal efficacy of Diaporthe sp. (WAA02)
- Manon Ameline Marie Gallais (SupBiotech Internship Project) - Influence of media concentrations on growth and decolorization activities of Coriolopsis sp. (1c3)
- Gan Peck Ting-Comparing antioxidant and total phenolic content in various tea.
- Wafa Alam-Induced nutrient-stress on Diaporthe phaseolorum (WAA02) and its impact on decolorization of triphenylmethane dyes.
- Elsan Thierry (SupBiotech Internship Project)-Developing artificially-induced fungal biofilm for the removal of Cotton Blue.
- Celia Munck (SupBiotech Internship Project)-Developing artificially-induced fungal biofilm for the removal of Crystal Violet.
- Lee Shi Ni- Dye removal by bacteria species under the influence of temperature.
- Sarah Grable (Technische Universität Berlin) (RISE-DAAD internship project)– Pseudo-biofilm in filamentous fungi for removal of toxic dyes.
- Yvette Ley Hai Shin-Extracellular polymeric substances (EPS) from environmental bacteria for metal removal
- Chia Le Wei-Extracellular polymeric substances (EPS) from laboratory-cultured bacteria for metal removal
- Chloe Cheng Kai Wai - Endolichenic fungi for the removal of toxic malachite green dye
- Nikki Chin Liying - Endolichenic fung for the removal of toxic metal Copper
Membership in Academic Editorial Committees
- Biological Control - Journal reviewer
- Biological Control Science and Technology - Journal reviewer
- Bioresource Technology - Journal reviewer
- Separation Science and Technology - Journal reviewer
- Journal of Hazardous Materials - Journal reviewer
- Desalination and Water Treatment - Journal reviewer
- Journal of Environmental Management - Journal reviewer
- Environmental Technology - Journal reviewer
- Journal of Chemical Engineering - Journal reviewer
- Chemical Engineering Journal - Journal reviewer
Engagement with Premier Public Universities
- University Malaya, External Examiner (MSc thesis), 2014
Member of Professional Bodies
- Malaysian Society for Microbiology (MSM) (Member since 2010)
- Malaysian Scientific Association (MSA) (Member since 2009)
- MyMentor Program (Monash University Malaysia, University of Nottingham Malaysia Campus, University of Southampton Malaysia Campus) (Member since 2015)
- Golden Key Honour Society (Life member since 2008)
- ISHS Workgroup Musa Crop Protection network (Member since 2007)
External examiner (dissertation)
- 2017. External Examiner. Master Science Thesis. Sangeetha Siva Sangu. “Effects of Fusaric Acid and Gamma irradiation on Protocorm–Like Bodies (PLBs) of Dendrobium hybrid against Fusarium proliferatum and Fusarium oxysporum” Universiti Sains Malaysia.
- 2017. External Examiner. Master of Medical Science Thesis. Delicia Ann Yong Cheen May. “Comparative Analyses of Genome and Novel Plasmidome in Pandoraea”. University Malaya.
- 2014. External Examiner. Master of Science Thesis. Priscilla Ann Moknasing. “Neuroprotective and neurotogenic activities of Lignosus rhinocerotis (Cooke) Ryvarden combined with medicinal plant extracts”. University Malaya.
External international grant reviewer
- 2017. International Grant Reviewer. Chilean National Science and Technology Commission (CONICYT - Chile).
- 2017. International Grant Reviewer. National Science Centre, Poland.
External book proposal reviewer
- 2017. For CRC Press Taylor and Francis. Proposed book title “Ecofriendly Approaches for Environmental Management”
Academic/Corporate Community Engagements
Invited Guest Lecture
- 31st Aug & 1st Sep 2017. Title-“Microbes for crop improvement”, and “Microbes from the environment, for the environment”. Faculty of Science, King Mongkut Institute of Technology Ladkrabang, Bangkok, Thailand.
Invited Keynote Lecture
- 6-9th November 2016. Title-“Endophytes as biocontrol agents for plant diseases: prospect, challenges and improvements”. For the 14th International Symposium on Biocontrol and Biotechnology. Saint-Petersburg, Pushkin, Russian Federation
Invited Speaker for Seminar
- 28th May 2011. Title- “Applications of microbes in agriculture”. For the AgriTech Seminar III: Applications of Modern Sciences and Biotechnology in Agriculture. Universiti Tunku Abdul Rahman, Kampar, Perak.
- GOLD MEDAL. 29th International Invention, Innovation and Technology Exhibition (ITEX 2018). “Green Approach: Capitalising Local Fungal Strain Penicillium citrinum for Biofungicide Development”
- National Outstanding Researcher Award (Biological Science) 2018 conferred by the Private Education Cooperative of Malaysia.
- Top 50 finalists- Elsevier Foundation Green and Sustainable Chemistry Challenge (2018) with the project entitled “Bacteria EPS grown on fruit vege waste for metal removal”
- Top 65 finalists- Elsevier Foundation Green and Sustainable Chemistry Challenge (2017) with the project entitled “Bio-priming seeds with metal tolerant endophytes: a strategy to improve growth and survival under metal stress?”
- First Place Award. PhD Level-Biotechnology. International Postgraduate Research Awards Seminar (InPRAS2016), Universiti Malaya and MSMBB, Cheong S.L., Cheow Y.L. and Ting A.S.Y. 2016. Antagonistic activities of endophytic fungi towards Ganoderma boninense assessed by invitro assay.
- Second Place Award. PhD Level-Biotechnology. International Postgraduate Research Awards Seminar (InPRAS2016), Universiti Malaya and MSMBB, Chen SH, Ng SL, Cheow YL and Ting A.S.Y. 2016. Tolerance-training in heavy metals to increase metal-tolerance in microfungus
- Young Scientist Award (1st runner-up) Oral Presentation by Marcharchand, S. International Conference on Beneficial Microbes (ICOBM): Microbes for the benefit of mankind, Phuket, Thailand, ICOBM committee, USM, Marcharchand, S. and Ting A.S.Y.* 2016. Influence of media strength on dye decolorization activities by fungal biosorbent Trichoderma asperellum
- Best Poster Award. 32nd Symposium of the Malaysian Society for the Microbiology. Terengganu, Malaysia, Malaysian Society for Microbiology (MSM), Tan W.S., Goh J.K., Lim S.P. and Ting A.S.Y. 2014. Amylase activities of endophytic fungi from local medicinal plant Andrographis paniculata
- Best Poster Award. 32nd Symposium of the Malaysian Society for the Microbiology. Terengganu, Malaysia, Malaysian Society for Microbiology (MSM), Chen S.H., Ng S.L., Ting A.S.Y.* 2014. Microfungi for bioremediation-decolorization of triphenylmethane dyes and tolerance to heavy metals
- Best Poster Award. 21st Annual Meeting of the Malaysian Society for Molecular Biology and Biotechnology. Monash University Malaysia., MSMBB, Wong Y.M., Gan H.M., Ting A.S.Y., Austin C.M., Juan J.C.* 2014. Comparison of Microbial Communities at Different Fermentation Phase of Hydrogen Production using Illumina MiSeq
- Excellent Reviewing Award for the journal Biological Control (Elsevier) (2014)
- PVC Award - Research Excellence (ECR), Monash University Malaysia
- Best Poster Award. International Congress of the Malaysian Society for Microbiology 2013. Langkawi Lagoon Resort, Malaysia., Malaysian Society for Microbiology (MSM), Akinsanya M, Goh JK, Lim SP and Ting ASY*. 2013. Antimicrobial activities of endophytic bacteria isolated from Mentha spicata (Mint)
- Best Poster Award. International Congress of the Malaysian Society for Microbiology 2013. Langkawi Lagoon Resort, Malaysia., Malaysian Society for Microbiology (MSM), Loh JY, Lim YY, Sharr AH and Ting ASY*. 2013. Isolation and evaluation of intestinal microflora from farmed fishes against Ewardsiellosis caused by Edwardsiella tarda
- Best Poster Award. 24th Intervarsity Biochemistry Seminar-Driving solutions of the future. Taylor’s University., MSBMB, Lee, JM and Ting, ASY. 2013. Antifungal activities of fungal endophytes from pitcher plants (Nepenthes sp.) towards plant pathogens
- Certificate of Excellence in Reviewing, Biological Control Journal (Elsevier)
- PVC Award - Research Excellence (Round 1 & 2), Monash University Malaysia
- PVC Award - Teaching Excellence (Round 1), Monash University Malaysia
- Best Poster Award. Malaysia International Biological Symposium: Sustainable Management of Bioresources. Residence Hotel, Selangor, Malaysia, UPM, Peh, KL, Kadir, J, Radziah, O, Tan, WS and Ting, ASY. 2012. Temperature influence on lignin-degrading activities of fungi from compost of oil palm empty fruit bunches (EFB).
- Best Paper Award. International Conference on Environment, Chemistry and Biology-ICECB 2012, Hong Kong, Asia-Pac Chemical, Biological & Environmental Engineering Society (APCBEES), Wong, YM, Juan, JC, Wu, TY and Ting, ASY. 2012. Bio-hydrogen production using heat-treated landfill leachate sludge.
- Best Poster Award. International Congress of the Malaysian Society for Microbiology. Penang. Malaysia, MSM, Peh, KL, Kadir, J., Othman, R. And Ting ASY. 2011. Fungal species from oil palm empty fruit bunches (EFB) and their lignin-degrading potential
- National Science Fellowship (NSF), MOSTI, 2011-2015, PhD studies
- Bacterium strain co-named: Clostridium sp. strain Ade. TY