Yap Khai Khun, Michelle
School of Science
Dr Michelle Yap earned her Bachelor of Science degree in 2006 followed by PhD in 2014 from University of Malaya focusing on the toxicology and pharmacology of bioactive proteins from medically important venomous species – an interest she still continue as an appointed lecturer within the School of Science. Here, she is also keen to investigate the proteomics profile of bioactive proteins and their immunogenicity, in addition to molecular modelling of proteins of interests. Her current research interest also focuses on molecular mechanisms of cytotoxicity of venom cytotoxin and the toxin-receptor interactions.
- Doctor of Philosophy, University of Malaya, 2014
- Bachelor of Science, University of Malaya, 2009
- Molecular modelling & protein-protein interactions
- Toxicology & Pharmacology of bioactive proteins: Pharmacokinetics
- Investigate the proteomics profile of bioactive proteins and their expression levels using Next Generation Sequencing (NGS), in addition to the phylogenetic analysis and molecular modelling of proteins of interests.
- Molecular docking of toxin with receptors.
- BTH2752 (Cellular Metabolism)
- BTH2741 (Biochemistry)
- PHA3801 (Principles of Pharmacology)
BH Ang, WH Lee, WS Chen, KK Yap, KP Song, J Oxley. 2018. Transitioning from driver to non-driver: Be safe and not a risk. Australasian Road Safety Conference, 2018, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
Lee SWH Ang BH, Oxley JA, Chen WS, Yap MKK, Song KP. 2019. To reduce or to cease: A systematic review and meta-analysis of quantitative studies on self-regulation of driving. Journal of Safety Research, 70, 243-251.
Ravini Ayoddhia Sirilal Don Gurunanselage, Michelle Khai Khun Yap. 2019. Arctium lappa L. root extract induces cell death via mitochondrial-mediated caspase-dependent apoptosis in Jurkat human leukemic T. Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy, 110, 918-929.
MKK Yap, N Misuan. 2019. Exendin‐4 from Heloderma suspectum venom: From discovery to its latest application as type II diabetes combatant. Basic & Clinical Pharmacology & Toxicology, 124(5), 513-527.
Boon Hong Ang, Shaun Wen Huey Lee, Jennifer Oxley, Khai Khun Yap, Keang Peng Song, SB Kamaruzzaman, AV Chin, KM Tan, HM Khor, Won Sun Chen. 2019. Self-regulatory driving and riding practices amongst older adults in Malaysia. Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, 62, 782-795.
Tan CH, Tan KY, Yap MKK, Tan NH (2017). Venomics of Tropidolaemus wagleri, the sexually dimorphic temple pit viper: Unveiling a deeply conserved atypical toxin arsenal. Scientific Reports, 7:43237. doi: 10.1038/srep43237.
Fung SY, Tan CH, Yap MKK, Leong PK, Liew JL, Tan NH (2016). Unveiling the elusive and exotic: Venomics of the Malayan blue coral snake (Calliophis bivirgata flaviceps). Journal of Proteomics, 132:1-12.
Tan NH, Fung SY, Tan KY, Yap MKK, Ariaranee C, Tan CH (2015). Functional venomics of the Sri Lankan Russell’s viper (Daboia russelii) and its toxinological correlations. Journal of Proteomics, 128:403-423.
Yap MKK, Tan NH, Sim SM, Fung SY and Tan CH (2015). The effect of a polyvalent antivenom on the serum venom antigen levels of Naja sputatrix (Javan spitting cobra) venom in experimentally envenomed rabbits. Basic & Clinical Pharmacology & Toxicology, 117(4):274-279.
Yap MKK, Tan NH, Sim SM, Fung SY and Tan CH (2014). Pharmacokinetics of Naja sumatrana (Equatorial spitting cobra) venom and its major toxins in experimentally envenomed rabbits. PLOS NTD. DOI:10.1371/journal.pntd.0002890
Yap MKK, Fung SY, Tan KY and Tan NH (2014). Proteomic characterization of venom of the medically important Southeast Asian Naja sumatrana (Equatorial spitting cobra). Acta Tropica. 13: 15-25.
Yap MKK, Tan NH, Sim SM and Fung SY (2013). Toxicokinetics of Naja sputatrix (Javan spitting cobra) venom following intramuscular and intravenous administrations of the venom into rabbits. Toxicon. 68:18-23.
Yap MKK, Sim SM, Tan NH and Fung SY (2011). Pharmacokinetics of Naja sputatrix (spitting cobra) venom in rabbits. J Pharmacol Sci. 115 (Supplement 1): 183P-183P (ISI-cited Journal –Meeting abstract).
Yap MKK, Tan NH and Fung SY (2011). Biochemical and toxinological characterization of Naja sumatrana(Equatorial spitting cobra) venom. J Venom Anim Toxins incl Trop Dis. 17(4): 451-459.
Yap, M, 2018, Development of novel mammalian expression system for cobra cytotoxin, Faculty of Science Advancing Women Grant, RM10k
Yap, M, 2017, Purification, gene cloning and expression of cytotoxin in mammalian expression vectors., TMB Platform, RM5k
Yap, M, 2015, Comparative functional proteomics of the venoms of Wagler’s pit viper (Tropidolaemus wagleri), University of Malaya Research Grant (UMRG), RM43.5k
Yap, M, 2011, Pharmacokinetics of Naja sputatrix (Javan spitting cobra) and Naja sumatrana(Equatorial spitting cobra) venom and its proteomic studies, Postgraduate Research Grant (PPP), RM30k
Yap, M, 2010, Serum kinetics of Naja sputatrix Venom and Antivenoms, University of Malaya Research Grant, RM15k
PhD students (Present)
- Nurhamimah binti Misuan (Main)
- Tiffany Tan Mei Quan (Main)
- Rex Quek Wei Ping (Main)
- Yong Yanning (Main)
- Chai Jun Ching (Co-supervision)
- Aw Yong Poi Yi (Co-supervision)
PhD students (Completed)
- Ang Boon Hong
- Anshika Sharma
Honours students (Present)
- Ravini Srilal
Honours students (Completed)
- Nurhamimah binti Misuan
3rd Year Project students (Present)
- Yong Yanning
- Shusruto Rishik
3rd Year Project students (Completed)
- Ewurama Dontoh
Member of Professional Bodies
- Malaysian Society of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology (Member, 4 years)
- Malaysian Society on Toxinology, (Exco member, 3 years)
Academic/Corporate Community Engagements
- Shotgun analysis as rapid proteomics approach for identification of fermented soy (Glycine max) proteins. International Meeting & 42nd Annual Conference of the MSBMB in conjunction with the 3rd Joint International Symposium on Animal Cell Technology.
- Drive safe, drive longer: Self-regulation is the key to road safety in older adults. International Forum of Quality and Safety in healthcare.
- Biochemical and toxinological studies of Naja sumatrana (Equatorial spitting cobra) venom in 36th Annual Conference of Malaysian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Malaysian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
- Serum kinetics of Naja sputatrix (spitting cobra) venom in rabbit and immunological responses in rabbit immunized with Naja sputatrix venom and venom components in 35th Annual Conference of Malaysian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Malaysian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
- Isolation and purification of alpha-amylase inhibitor from Morinda citrifolia in 20th Intervarsity Biochemistry Seminar, Malaysian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.
- Pharmacokinetics of Naja sputatrix (Javan spitting cobra) venom and the effect of a neuro polyvalent antivenom in 17th Congress of EU section of International Society of Toxinology, International Society of Toxinology.
- Pharmacokinetics of Naja sputatrix (spitting cobra) venom in rabbits in The 11st Southeast Asian Western Pacific Regional Meeting of Pharmacologists, The Japanese Pharmacological Society.
- University of Malaya Fellowship Scheme
- Best Poster Presentation, 35th Annual Conference of Malaysian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, Malaysian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- 11st SEAWP-RFP Travel Fellowship Award for Young Scientist, Japanese Pharmacological Society
- Dean's list, Faculty of Science, University of Malaya