Staying Safe When Driving
Consider the following tips to help you stay safe when driving. (Note: Malaysians cars are right-hand drive)
- Carry a mobile/cell phone
- Drive on well travelled streets.
- Keep your car in gear when standstill.
- Always be aware of your surroundings, check your mirrors often.
- Keep your doors locked and windows shut.
- If your car breaks down, open the bonnet and put on the hazard lights. Call Automobile Association of Malaysia (AAM – Tel: 1-800-88-0808) or any registered tow-truck operator.
- If you get lost, do not stop until you find a well lit public area.
- Always carry an emergency kit in the car including first aid, jumper leads, a torch and a blanket.
- Never pick up hitchhikers.
- If you have an accident stop in a safe place and exchange the details (Name, I/C no., Vehicle plate number, verify car registration sticker on windscreen etc) with the other driver.
- Never pursue the person in your car if they do not stop. Instead get their number plate details.