Rubini Shanmuga Ratnam
I like the idea that my degree program allows me to select elective subjects from other majors and faculties
Bachelor of Business and Commerce (started 2014)
1. How and why did you choose your degree program, and why Monash?
I have always wanted to do either law or accounting, and ultimately chose accounting. I decided to enroll in Monash due to its prestigious status and reputable name. The Monash degree programs for business also allows me to do a double major, which is rare in other institutions in Malaysia. I liked the idea that I could select subjects from outside of accounting, ie. Marketing or business law subjects.
2. Please describe yourself as an individual. What makes you unique?
I am a very outgoing, friendly person. I have always been one who strives for excellence academically. I believe that I stand out in a crowd as I can converse with almost anybody in a crowd, be it from young children to the elderly. This personality has helped me throughout my degree program as I’m able to communicate with people of different nationalities during group projects and assignments.
3. Do you participate in extracurricular activities in the university or in the community? If yes, how has it helped in your personal development ?
I took part in the recent Monash Cup, and that really helped build my time management skills further as the training sessions took up a big portion of my time. It also allowed me to expand my network of friends on campus.
4. How do you find your degree program? What do you like best about it? What are the most challenging aspects of it?
I find my degree program a little challenging. But I do like the fact that the lecturers and tutors are always there to help if I have any questions or do not understand a topic. Also, my course management office is very helpful and has been very patient in answering all my questions on my degree program. I also liked the idea that my degree program allowed me to select elective subjects from other majors or even faculties! Hence, I could design my degree in such a way that I could major in Accounting and have the option of taking other subjects that interest me, such as international business or a communication subject from the arts faculty. Monash also has a wide number of international students, and this allows me to learn about different cultures and extend my knowledge on different countries.
5. While at pre-university what challenges did you face and how did Monash help you overcome these challenges?
My pre-university helped me a lot with coping with university life, probably due to the way my course was structured. However, my pre-university institution was rather small, and Monash being a significantly bigger campus, taught me how to work with large groups and how to be more interactive in class.
6. What do you love most about your student life at Monash?
I love how there is always something going on in campus, be it a movie night or a cultural night. Although I am unable to attend some of these events, the hype created for these events makes campus always so exciting to walk around and has me waiting to see what will be held the following week.
7. If you moved to come study at Monash, where did you live? How did you find that experience?
I am from Sabah, and moved here to study in Monash. It was a little shocking at first with the different surroundings and such. But the different clubs and societies helped me to make friends. The various resources available for students on campus also helped me to adapt well to university life.
8. What are your future goals and career ambitions? Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
As an Accounting major, my career would be in the accounting line, hopefully towards the audit side. I hope to do my professional accounting papers (ACCA) after my degree program to enhance my resume and hopefully get to work with big multinational companies abroad.
9. If you could provide one sentence of advice to future undergraduate students, what would it be?
With hard work comes success. Prepare to be part of a prestigious institution known globally!