Perbadanan Tabung Pendidikan Tinggi Nasional (PTPTN)
This scheme enables students in local institutions of higher education to obtain an education loan from the National Higher Education Fund Corporation (PTPTN) to finance their education fees.
1. Terms and Conditions for loan application
- Malaysian citizens;
- Not exceeding 45 years of age on the date of application;
- Passed Malaysia Certificate of Education (SPM) with credits in any 3 subjects or with at least 5B in Unified Examination Certificate (UEC);
- Possess at least SPM and STPM equivalent qualifications that are recognised by the Ministry of Education Malaysia such as A-Levels, MUFY, Australian Matriculation, Canadian Matriculation, etc;
- Have registered for a full time course at the first degree (Bachelor) level. Students in Private Higher Education Institutions must comply with the entry requirements as approved by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) and the Department of Higher Education (JPT), Ministry of Education Malaysia. All relevant certifications and approval letters must be enclosed;
- The remaining period of study upon application must exceed one year;
- Have no other sponsor;
- For students applying for the second time, any loan extended by PTPTN for the earlier instance must be fully settled and
- Possess a SSPN account (Skim Simpanan Pendidikan National).
2. Online Application
Application for PTPTN loan can only be done using online at http://www.ptptn.gov.my/gateway. Hard copy loan applications are no longer accepted.
3. Online Application Deadlines
There are 2 deadlines for each semester as stated below:-
Duration of Online Application
Online Application Deadlines
1 February – 28 February
1 March – 31 March
1 July – 31 July
1 August – 31 August
Note : Applicable to July 2016 Intake
4. Loan Amount
As a general guide, the loan amount disbursed, subject to approval from PTPTN, are as follows:
Loan Amount Per Year
Bantuan Sara Hidup Rakyat (BSHR) recipients
Income less than RM8,000/month
Income more than RM8,000/month
First Degree – Engineering & Science
First Degree – Business & Arts
|First Degree – Pharmacy / Medical Bioscience||RM17,000/year||RM12,750/year||RM8,500/year|
First Degree - BMedSci / MD
Student’s eligibility for the respective loan categories shown above shall be determined by their parents’ income.
5. Disbursement of Loan Repayment
The loan disbursement will be credited directly to the student's personal account with Maybank.
The first loan payment is released only after the completed agreement is accepted by PTPTN. The subsequent payments will be made after PTPTN receives confirmation from the University that the student is progressing into the next semester and has scored not less than 50% in Weighted Average Mark (WAM) or a PASS in the previous semester.
The PTPTN Education Loan Scheme includes loan insurance to cover the loan issued by PTPTN in the event of the borrower’s death. Under the concept of group coverage, the amount of the loan issued by PTPTN to all borrowers will be fully protected from takaful operators appointed by PTPTN throughout the loan disbursement period.
7. Suspension of Loan Disbursement
The payment of loans will be suspended for a particular semester for the following reasons:-
- A student fails to maintain an average mark of 50% and above for each semester;
- A student defers their studies.
8. Loan Repayment
Please refer to your loan agreement for further details.
An administrative cost of 1% annually will be calculated 6 months after completion of study or termination of loan as specified in the signed agreement. No deduction is applicable for the administrative cost.
Repayment of loan shall start 6 months after completion of the course. Deferment of repayment can be considered for borrowers who continue their studies and those who are not working. An application to PTPTN must be submitted. However, administrative cost will be charged during the period of deferment.
For more information about PTPTN loan application, students may contact PTPTN hotline at +603-2193 3000.
Monash University Malaysia student may also contact the Scholarship & Study Loan Administration at +603-55144428/e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org for further queries.
Note: Terms and conditions apply. Details are accurate at the time of publication. Monash University Malaysia reserves the right to alter the information should the need arises.