International buddy program
Helping International Students to Adjust Quickly and Easily to University Life
The initial period when international students first arrive in Malaysia can be both exciting and overwhelming at the same time. Many would be anxious with the many unknowns.
The International Buddy Program is designed to assist new international students with the challenges associated with the early stage of their university experience. We believe that current students can help new international students by sharing experiences, providing insights into university life, as well as responding to questions and concerns. In order to achieve these objectives, current students are matched with incoming new international students.
This program also offers a platform for students to establish friendships. Among the most rewarding experiences that students can have is the opportunity to share and learn various customs, traditions and lifestyles.
Participation in the program is voluntary and the time that needs to be invested is expected to be minimal. This program does not involve academic mentoring. However, you will be able to receive information and tips that are helpful to students
What are the objectives of this program?
If you are a new international student, by participating in this program, you can expect:
- help in settling in to your new university life;
- advice on the facilities and support services available on campus;
- to learn more about Malaysian culture;
- opportunity to connect with senior students, as well as opportunity to meet and make new friends; and
- opportunity to develop your own social network.
This means that you will have a ready resource for answers to your questions such as:
How to get involved in student activities? How to enroll or add/drop a unit? Where are the best places to eat?
If you are a current student, by participating in this program, you will learn how to provide:
- personalised guidance to new friends at the beginning of their university life;
- insight to your experience and knowledge as a student of the university;
- information and reference about study resources, non-academic activities and the social life at the university; and
- introductions to Malaysia and the local community.
How to apply for this program?
Contact for enquiries
Contact our International Student Adviser for more information.