Making a complaint

Making a complaint

We hope you have a positive relationship with the University and our staff, but we realise that sometimes things go wrong. When that happens, you may need to make a complaint.

Step 1: Talk to the staff member concerned

Complaints can often be sorted out quickly if you raise them directly with the staff member concerned.

Step 2: Talk to their manager

If you can't resolve the problem directly, or you feel the staff member is biased, you can take your complaint to the next level (their manager, the unit leader or the chief examiner, for example).

Step 3: Make a formal complaint 

Before you make a formal complaint, you should check you have:

  1. Considered ways to resolve the complaint informally
  2. Talked to your Course Management Office or Research Management Office (as applicable) or the Student Support Officer for advice.

If you haven't been able to resolve your complaint by talking to the relevant people, you can lodge a formal complaint to the relevant grievance officer, using the Grievance Lodgement Form (pdf, 0.09 mb).

The grievance officer will acknowledge they've received your formal complaint, and will provide you with information about support services that might help. They will also:

  • Direct your complaint to the appropriate person and let you know what's happening
  • Ask you for more information or to attend a meeting (if necessary).

Once you've lodged a formal complaint, it's important that you:

  1. Keep a record of discussions, actions and dates
  2. Make yourself available for meetings as required
  3. Respect the confidentiality of those involved in the investigation
  4. Check the relevant policies and procedures.

Depending on the nature of your complaint, you should check processes for coursework or research degree complaints. 

Step 4. Appeal to the University Student Ombudsman

If you're not happy with the result of your formal complaint, you can appeal to the University Student Ombudsman.

The Ombudsman will not get involved until you've taken all reasonable steps to resolve the complaint with the Faculty or administrative department concerned.

Step 5. Appeal to the Victorian Ombudsman

If you're still unhappy about the situation, you may appeal the University Student Ombudsman's decision to the Victorian Ombudsman. Depending on the nature of the complaint, the Victorian Ombudsman may investigate the matter.

​This would involve situations where you are affected either by an action of Monash University or that of Monash University Malaysia, when acting on behalf of Monash University.

Typical examples include matters involving administrative actions in relation to enrolments and exclusions.