How to apply and entry requirements
The application process differs depending on the program:
- International exchange with one of our partner universities
- Short term international exchange at one of our partner universities
- Intercampus exchange to Monash Australia
- Faculty overseas program
- School overseas program
Regardless of the program you decide, please ensure you allow yourself sufficient time to prepare. The application process, from the time you start researching opportunities to the point of submitting an application may take four to six months. However, this may be efficiently completed in merely a few weeks if you are well prepared, informed and organised.
To be eligible to participate in a semester abroad program you must meet the following criteria presented in the table below. Please note: for Engineering students, the minimum requirements are slightly different - please see below for more information.
Eligibility criteria for Semester Abroad programs
(Semester or Year on Exchange or Study Abroad)
Postgraduate by coursework
|Of good academic standing||✔||✔|
|Minimum WAM at time of registration||60%||n/a|
|Minimum WAM at the end of the semester in which you apply||60%||60%|
|Minimum credit points completed at time of registration||18||n/a|
|Minimum credit points completed by the end of the semester in which you apply||n/a||18|
|Minimum credit points completed at time of program commencement||36||36|
|Sought Course Advice from School/Schools||✔||✔|
|Study plan approved by School/Schools||✔||✔|
|Satisfy any additional School requirements||✔||✔|
|Satisfy any host institution / campus requirements||✔||✔|
Study equivalent of 18 – 24 credits |
per semester whilst overseas
Ready to apply?
Once you are ready, download and complete the Monash Abroad application form (pdf, 1.6MB) for Outbound Exchange students.
The form includes step-by-step instructions to complete your application and details of the application requirements such as your study plan and statement of purpose.
Creating your study plan
Your study plan is the list of units you plan to study while on exchange, and forms part of your application. While the study plan sits within your application form, you need to have it approved and signed off by your course management office before you can submit the form and supporting documentation to Monash Abroad Malaysia.
You may check the current lists of Pre-Approved Units. These pre-approved units are partner universities units which have already been assessed and approved by your School as equivalents to some of your Monash units.
The submission deadline to your school is usually a month before the Monash Abroad application deadline.
Study plan due to your course management office
Completed application due to Monash Abroad
Short term International Exchange to Partner Universities
Faculty Overseas Program
School Overseas Program
When creating your study plan you should consider the following:
- Your selected partner university may offer different units at different levels and the units are sometimes not entirely taught in English.
- The units you want to study are offered:
- to satisfy your Monash degree
- at the level you are studying (undergraduate and/or postgraduate)
- during the semester you are on exchange
- Ensure you understand the full-time study load at your chosen partner university and the credit points each partner university unit is worth as you must have the equivalent of 18 - 24 Monash credit points for a full-time load. Please consult your course management office for further details on your study plan preparation.
- Be aware that certain partner university units have restrictions, limitations or pre-requisites, therefore please ensure you meet these before selecting the unit.
- Choose twice as many units than you would actually need to study. This is to be prepared for unforeseen circumstances such as cancellation of classes/units, timetable clashes that could lead to non – fulfilment of enrolment quotas. You are also encouraged to take elective units while on exchange for more flexibility in the approval of units. If you want to study core units, you will need to select units with similar content to the Monash core units. Some schools require the content to be up to 80% similar.
- Print the detailed unit outlines to submit with your application. Your school would require additional information such as unit structure, contact hours, content and types of assessments.
Submitting your application
Once your study plan is approved by your course management office and you have completed your application, submit it to Monash Abroad Malaysia by the application deadline.
We will send you an acknowledgement email to inform you that we have received your application and are processing your exchange application. It normally takes up to three weeks after the application deadline before we send you an email.
Find out more about the next steps in the nomination and selection process.