Before you apply to Monash for study abroad, you should check that you meet the following entry requirements. You must:
- have completed at least one full year at your home university
- have achieved a minimum GPA of 3.0 or 60 per cent or equivalent
- meet our English language requirements.
English language requirements
All students must satisfy Monash’s minimum English language requirements. The requirements differ depending on the degree level of the units you’re applying to study.
View the English language requirements for:
Creating your study plan
Part of the process of applying to Monash is creating a study plan. Your study plan is the list of units you plan to study while on study abroad, and forms part of your application – you need to list the units you want to study on page 4 of your application form.
When creating your study plan you should consider the following:
- Have a look at the study options available to you.
- Choose four units that you’d really like to study, plus an additional four units you’d be just as happy with – it is common for study abroad students to have timetable clashes especially if you are taking units across different year-levels or offered by different schools.
- Check that the units you want to study will be offered in the semester you will be at Monash Malaysia. Ensure that the units selected are offered at the Malaysia campus.
- As an undergraduate student you can only select 1st, 2nd or 3rd year level units.
- In most cases 4th year and honours units are not available to study abroad students.
The application process differs slightly depending on whether you’ll be coming to Monash for study abroad or exchange. As a quick reference – you’re classified as an exchange student if your home university has an exchange agreement with Monash, and if it doesn’t, you’re a study abroad student.
Study abroad application process
There are two ways to apply to study abroad at Monash:
- Apply through a study abroad agent or through your home university
- Apply directly to Monash Abroad by yourself
You’ll need to complete the Monash Abroad application form for incoming students (pdf, 126kb) which includes a detailed step-by-step guide on how to apply, as well as what you need to lodge along with your application (like copies of your passport, extra passport photos and your academic transcripts).
- Semester one (Feb – Jun): October 1
- Semester two (Jul – Nov): March 1
You’ll know your study abroad program has been approved when you receive an offer of admission from Monash Abroad Malaysia. Find out more about the next steps in the application approval process.