Student Visa

South African Visas

All students studying in South Africa for a semester or a year must be issued with a study permit, and not a tourist visa. To be eligible to apply for your study permit, you will need to provide your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and two letters of support, which the Monash Abroad team will provide you with. Additionally, you will also need to include a Certificate of Good Conduct (this can take up to a month to obtain) and medical forms.

For more information on the visa application processes, you should contact the South African Consulate or High Commission in your capital city.

Working in South Africa

You can work for up to 20 hours per week during your semester in South Africa.

Extending your stay

If you think there is even the slightest chance that you want to extend your time in South Africa, it is highly recommended that you apply for the year-long visa (called a temporary residence visa). There are no additional costs to this, and will save you a lot of paperwork in the long run.

Cover in South Africa

Under South African Government visa rules, it is obligatory for international students to have hospital and primary health care insurance offered by a South African provider. You are free to choose the provider to your liking, but we do have a few recommendations. Find out more about health insurance.

For more detailed information visit the South African Department of Home Affairs site under their Immigration Services section.