When you first arrive

We understand that securing a place to live in Malaysia remains one of the most important things to do for you before you leave your home country. We offer options to live on or off – campus, however, we strongly encourage you to stay on – campus at the Sunway Monash Residence (SMR) for convenience together with the majority of our study abroad and exchange students.

Living on – campus at the Sunway Monash Residence

The on – campus accommodation information provided on this page applies to exchange and study abroad students only. Further information and application procedures for on – campus accommodation at the Sunway Monash Residence will be included in your exchange or study abroad offer package.

The on – campus accommodation at SMR is guaranteed once the residence application form is completed and returned to us. All SMR applications and payments must come through the Monash Abroad office.

The SMR accommodation comprises single rooms with shared bath. A copy of the Rules and Regulations will be sent to the SMR residents to ensure the protection of the students’ safety and wellbeing.

For your planning purposes, important dates related to on – campus accommodation can be found in the Key Dates section. The complete SMR address is:

Sunway Monash Residence,
Persiaran Tasik Barat,
Sunway South Quay,
47500 Bandar Sunway,
Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia.

Postal mail for residents should also be directed to the above address but must include your Full Name, Unit and Room number. You will only be allocated a Unit and Room number upon arrival at SMR.

How much does it cost?

You will be invoiced for a fixed period which begins shortly before the Monash Abroad orientation and ends just after the exam period.

You may be able to extend your stay beyond the semester but this is subject to the availability of rooms and additional fees charged. Rooms are usually available during the semesters but not in between semesters. Students are required to apply separately to live on – campus in between semesters if need be and additional fees will be charged.

Rental Rates for 2017 (Sunway Monash Residence only)

Type of Accommodation (Tower A)


Processing Fee**

Rental per Semester***
(5 months)

Total Fees Payable

Single room





All rates are quoted in Ringgit Malaysia (MYR). Rent is payable once a semester and payable to Monash University Malaysia upon accepting your exchange or study abroad offer. Rental rate includes utilities cost of electricity and water up to MYR 200 per month.

* Deposit is refundable (subject to terms and conditions).
** Processing Fee is non-refundable.
*** Intercampus exchange students from Monash campuses who are eligible for the Malaysia Package will only need to pay for the deposit and processing fee.

How to apply

To confirm your room, you will need to complete and lodge the Sunway Monash Residence application form through the Monash Abroad office – application details will be included in your offer package.

All SMR applications for exchange and study abroad students must come through the Monash Abroad office as payment and accommodation terms differ for exchange and full time students.

Living off – campus

If you would like to live off – campus, you must arrange your accommodation before you leave your home country. We recommend that you do not sign an agreement or pay any money to the landlord without viewing and confirming your accommodation in person.

Information for off-campus accommodation options is available for you to research in advance before you arrive. It is advisable to narrow down your search to the Bandar Sunway area which is located in the State of Selangor for ease of commuting to campus.

To easily commute to campus, we recommend choosing accommodation along the Bus Rapid Transport Sunway Line (BRT). This service stops at seven locations, including Monash University, Sunway Medical Centre and Sunway Lagoon. It also serves Setia – Jaya train station. This allows for easier access to central Kuala Lumpur. The BRT operates from 6:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. all year.

Please refer to for further information.