Working or studying after hours
Those people who work or study outside of normal office hours may need to vary their personal safety to suit their circumstances. The following suggestions are options you may want to consider:
- Park your car in a well lit busy area and close to the building. Don't leave valuables visible in your car. Lock all doors and close all windows on leaving your car. Consider installing an immobiliser.
- Look outside before you exit the building. Check your car - if you notice anyone hanging around, call the security emergency number at +603-55146333.
- Carry your keys in your hand for quick access to your vehicle.
- Use only well lit pathways.
- Pay attention to your surroundings. Look around! If things don't look right, go back inside the building and call the security.
- If you go in to work on the weekend, do so in the morning or early afternoon. You're less likely to have a problem during the day than after dark.
- While you're working in your building, keep locked doors between you and the hallway. If someone should get in, a locked door will keep them from walking in on you and serve as a buffer to give you time to call the security.
- Make sure there is someone else in the building that you know (staff, students, building attendant).
- Walk confidently with a purpose, and at a steady pace.
- Know the telephone numbers of Campus Security (+603-55146333).
- If taking public transport, know your time table, to avoid long periods of waiting, especially if you are alone.
- A mobile telephone may help you feel more secure.
- Create a buddy system for walking to parking lots or public transportation or ask a security guard to escort you.
- If you notice any strangers hanging around the parking lot, notify security.