Innovation and Reformation
Article featured on Sin Chew Daily Chinese newspaper.
13 September 2016
(Click on image to enlarge)
The news story is divided into three portions featuring three different inventions:
1) UV LED Mask Aligner System with Lee Neam Heng
- Lee explained the origin of the invention.
- The system was designed to help institutions in their study of micro-chip production.
- This idea came about when he conducted an experiment on the production of micro-chips, only to realise there weren't any supply.
- Lee shared that the mask aligner system in the market is usually quite big, and thus not entirely suitable for educational purposes. This product was invented together with his supervisor after much research online.
- He also leveraged on UV light as an energy source, as well as replaced manual control with touch screen.
2) pH Sensitive Inorganic Nano-Crystals with A/Prof Ezharul
- For most cancer patients, treatment can be harmful to healthy cells which in turn will cause numerous side-effects.
- With the invention of pH-sensitive inorganic nano-crystals, these crystals can carry the chemical substance, specifically targeting cancerous cells and killing it.
3) Multi-touch Table Top ComputersThis product was invented to solve the issue of rising number of students and effective teaching and learning. The interactive learning style places students needs above everything else, and looks at helping students study/learn more effectively.
- The lecturers can now maximise learning through cameras and other resources, so that students are able to view high definition medical diagrams, which will inadvertently help them visualise real-world scenarios.
- The students will have easy access where they are at to the diagrams. They do not need to crowd around the lecturer to share a view of the model.
- Students can also quickly search for information in medical journals or database quickly during lesson time, via their table-top computer - should they require clarification on certain specific topics.