Virtual Private Network (a.k.a VPN), is an encrypted connection over the Internet that provides privacy and security to Monash users (Staff or Student). This is done by partially converting the user’s internet connection to be part of Monash University Malaysia’s networks.
Currently, there are two(2) modes of VPN connection types that are offered for both Monash staff & students to access Monash University Malaysia (MUM) on-premise resources securely and those VPN modes are:
- Client VPN
- Agent based VPN connection that requires a Checkpoint VPN agent installed on a user's device.
- Mainly used for registered MUM assets.
- For the Client VPN Installation guide, please click here.
- Clientless VPN (a.k.a SSL VPN)
- A browser based VPN connection which requires a browser extension/add-on and a Java Runtime Environment (JRE) as a prerequisite.
- Mainly offered for BYOD or personal devices.
- For supported Browser applications & SSL VPN Installation/User guide, please click here.
Monash VPN User’s will be required to authenticate their VPN connection with their assigned Network ID and complete a 2-factor authentication (2FA) challenge to be connected to the VPN for a duration of 8 hours per session.
For more details on what 2-factor authentication(2FA) is, kindly refer to the following user guide.
The services provided on these VPN connections are on a “need to access” basis and to gain access to any on-premise resource/s, User are required to submit an IT Services Requisition (ITR) which is subject to approval from respective Head of School/Departments (HOS/HOD).