Global Intercampus Program
As a Monash student, an exchange semester at a Monash Australia campus is the easiest way to discover the world! While in Australia, you will:
- continue to be enrolled at Monash Malaysia
- receive credit for your overseas study towards your Monash degree
- see your grades for all Monash units (including units studied at Monash University Australia) on your academic transcript
- continue paying your regular fees to Monash Malaysia (in Malaysian Ringgit)
For more information, check out our GIP Brochure.
Am I eligible to apply?
Find out if you’re eligible, what the entry requirements are and how to apply here.
Studying Business Units in Monash Australia
If you’re looking to take Business units in Monash Australia, you must at the time of application have achieved:
- a minimum WAM 60% and completed Year 12 Mathematics for Caulfield campus
- a minimum WAM 70% and completed Year 12 Higher Mathematics for Clayton campus
You’re highly encouraged to maintain the required WAM until you go for exchange to ensure that you’re eligible for GIP.
Please check the Mathematics Assessment List to determine your Mathematics level. You must have completed the required level Year 12 or Year 12 Higher Mathematics at the point of application.
Note: The Mathematics Assessment list can only be assessed with a Monash email account
If the Mathematics units you have taken are not on the Assessment List, please submit the Mathematics Assessment Application Form.
What type of units can I select?
There are five types of approved units you may include in your Smartsheet study plan:
- Major Units - the units required to fulfil your major units as listed in Part B of the Course Map Planning Guide. Please make sure that the units you have selected in MUA are prohibition units to the units you need to complete for your major. Find out what prohibition units are under the requisites tab of your handbook.
- Minor Units - the units approved to fulfil your minor units as listed in the Unit Schedule (Part C of your course map planning guide). Please ensure that the units you choose in MUA are prohibition units to the units you need to complete for your minor. Find out what prohibition units are under the requisites tab of your handbook.
- Specialisation Units - these units are only relevant for certain courses. If you are a B2026 student, these units are not applicable to you. For B2027 students, you may be able to select these units under your Arts degree; this will be assessed by the Education Management Office in the School of Arts and Social Sciences.
- Technical/discipline/degree Elective - the units approved to fulfil your elective units as listed in the Unit Schedule (Part C of the Course Map Planning Guide). These units do not have to be part of your major/minor and do not necessarily have to be equivalent to MUM units.
- Free Elective - units that come from any area of study (not restricted to Business), and do not necessarily have to be equivalent to MUM units. You are highly encouraged to explore and choose free elective units for your exchange. Please ensure that you meet the prerequisites for the units and have sufficient elective space to proceed.
IMPORTANT: If you have plans to go for an international exchange in the future, we strongly recommend saving your elective units for international exchange especially if your elective spaces are limited.
NOT ALLOWED FOR EXCHANGE
- Core Units – the six core business units listed in Part A of the Course Map Planning Guide. All core units must be completed in MUM.
- Capstone Units – compulsory for all SOB students after completing 96 credit points or more, and must be taken in MUM (see Part A of the Course Map Planning Guide). Please do not submit any capstone units for exchange.
- Professional Accounting Units – If you are intending to take a Professional Accounting accreditation such as ACCA, CPA and CAANZ, please do not select Accounting units for exchange even if there are matching units in the partner institution. This is to avoid complications during your accreditation process. Learn more here and if you have further questions, please contact the respective accreditation bodies listed.
How should I plan my units for GIP?
2. Identify the units you need to take to complete your degree. You can refer to the unit schedule and handbook to browse available units. Please ensure that you are referring to the current year handbook by checking the year indicated at the top right corner of the unit handbook and the current year unit schedule by checking at the top of the unit schedule.
Important: Please check that the units you want to take are available for exchange students by referring to the blue box in your unit handbook, and that they are offered in the semester that you are planning to go for exchange. If a unit handbook does not indicate a semester offering, that means the unit is not being offered in the current year of study.
When choosing your units, please go through the following:
- Are the units you’ve selected offered in your preferred campus (Clayton or Caulfield)? You may only choose one campus based on your eligibility. If a unit handbook does not show a campus offering, that means the unit is not being offered in the current year of study.
- Check that the units you’ve selected are prohibition units to the units you need to complete for your majors or minors in MUM. Elective units do not need to be prohibition units.
- Confirm that you meet the prerequisites for both the units in MUM and the prerequisites for the prohibition units in MUA.
- Tip: Ensure that you select a few extra units that meet the necessary criteria in case your preferred units are unavailable.
3. Draft your exchange study plan using the course map tool or DIY course map. Please ensure that you are taking a minimum of 3 units (18 credit points) or a maximum of 4 units (24 credit points) for your GIP semester. Important: SOB does not accept MonPlan study plans for review.
How do I submit my Study Plan?
1. For a step-by-step guide, head over to Preparing Your Study Plan
2. When filling in the Smartsheet, remember to list the units in order of preference (most preferred at the top). The unit codes in your Smartsheet should be MUA unit codes, not MUM codes.
3. You will also have to upload your Course Map Tool or DIY Course Map under the Course Progression Advice section in your application form on the Monash Abroad Portal. In your course map, the unit codes should be MUM unit codes. Please confirm they are prohibition units for the first 3-4 units you submitted in your Smartsheet.
Important: If you intend to take Elective units, you do not need to match them to any MUM units. You may just insert “Elective units” in your course map tool or DIY course map.
4. You are not required to submit any study plan to the Education Management Office prior to submitting your application on the Monash Abroad Portal. Please take note that it is your responsibility to ensure that you have met the degree requirements for GIP.
5. When your Study Plan has been approved by your School after the application deadline, you will receive an email advising unit assessment and approval. Please upload this to your application on the Monash Abroad Portal as a document.
We regularly organise helpful briefings and consultation sessions for students interested in our exchange programs! Check out the Briefing Calendar and be sure to attend one if you’re still unsure of the process or have further questions.
How do I enrol for GIP?
Most of you would have re-enrolled for the exchange semester during the re-enrolment period.
If your GIP application is approved, EMO will advise you on your enrolment prior to your scheduled GIP semester. You don’t have to discontinue your current enrolment on WES.
Important: You are not allowed to change approved units for enrolment except under extenuating circumstances.
How do I obtain my results?
The result release schedule for MUA follows a similar timeline to MUM, and your results will be automatically updated in the system. Once you have obtained your result, please confirm that your grades are reflected accurately. As these are Monash units, your grade will contribute to your WAM/GPA. Learn more about grading and exam results here.
What if I fail?
If you fail a unit and receive a failing grade, you won’t earn the credit point towards your GIP and will need to replace the failed credit point in MUM.
Where can I find more information?
- SOB GIP Briefing for Sem 1, 2023 Application Recording
- SOB GIP Briefing Slides for Sem 1, 2023 Application
- SOB FAQ
- Monash Malaysia Connect
BRIEFING SESSIONS We regularly organise helpful briefings and consultation sessions for students interested in our exchange programs. Check out the Briefing Calendar and please make time to attend a GIP session if you’re still unsure of the process or have further questions.
If you’ve attended a briefing session and gone through these resources but remain unsure of the exchange process, you may submit a ticket to Ask Mira. Please choose the correct help topic to ensure your ticket reaches the right department:
- Course Advice – for course advice, unit selection and degree requirements for exchange
- Exchange Programs – for eligibility, application matters, logistics and financial assistance for exchange
Important: Please submit two different tickets if your queries fall into different help topics. This will ensure your query is sent to the correct department, which means you’ll get the answers you need quickly as well.