Frequently Asked Questions
When can I enrol my units?
- Re-enrolment period opens from October to November every year.
I missed the re-enrolment period! What do I do?
- Follow the procedure below:
- Make Late Re-enrolment Fee (WES) of RM200 to Finance (https://finhelpdesk.monash.edu.my/)
- SORS → Enrol → Unit Amendment form
- Attach receipt and submit
- EMO will manually enrol the units for the student after processing the SORS form.
How many units do I need to enrol during the re-enrolment period?
- A total of 8 units (48 credit points) need to be enrolled for Semester 1 and Semester 2 of the following year
I want to change my enrolled units.
- If you have already enrolled your units, you can make the changes once WES is open (please see Principal dates).
- If you want to make changes to your enrolled units during week 3 (i.e replace a unit with different unit), then you will need to do the following:
- Email CE or unit coordinator for consent to enrol to that unit
- Make Late Addition of unit(s) penalty fee of RM100/unit to finance
- SORS → Enrol → Late Unit Enrolment
- Attach email confirmation and receipt, and submit"
What is my course name and course code?
- Bachelor of Business and Commerce (Single degree)'s course code is 'B2026' for 2016 intake onwards.
- Bachelor of Business and Commerce/Bachelor of Communication (Double degree)'s course code is 'B2027' for 2016 intake onwards.
What does unit schedule mean?
- This is the information sheet that contains the semester offering, units needed for the specific majors/minors and core units as well as the pre-requisite units that are required to be passed here. It can be found here.
How many credits are given for my course?
- 144 credits for B2026 (Single degree)
- 192 credits for B2027 (Double degree)
Can I exceed than 144 credits/192 credits for my course?
- No, you cannot exceed the credits given.
Can I take third-year units in my second year of study?
- Yes, as long as you meet the pre-requisites of that unit. Similarly, you can also take first-year and second-year units in your third year of study. In addition to specific unit prerequisites, third-year level units require the successful completion of two second-year level units and second-year level units require the successful completion of three first-year level units.
My majors/area of study on WES is incorrect, how do I fix this?
- The education office will update your major(s) and/or minor(s) according to the units you have completed when we are course completing you.
Can I study an elective unit from other schools?
- Yes but this would depend on how many space you have for left to take electives and what year level you have available.
Does SOB offer summer or winter units?
- This information will be available on our website.
What happens if I fail the prerequisite unit? Can I enrol the failed and the next higher level units concurrently?
- No. You must repeat the unit in the next semester it will be offered. You are expected to have completed the pre/co-requisites before you can enroll in the higher level unit.
- WES will show ‘Invalid units status’. It is because you failed a unit that has prerequisites or corequisites. Hence, you would need to change to another unit option and update their personal study plan accordingly and follow.
- If you’ve already enrolled in the unit prior to this, you will need to change your enrollment to avoid the higher level unit from becoming invalidated in the middle of the next semester. By then, you will not be able to add a different unit to replace the invalidated unit.
I failed the same unit twice and it’s a core. What do I do? Can I re-sit?
- No, you will need to retake that unit again next semester.
How do I plan my study plan/course map?"
- When planning your course map/study plan, please refer to your unit schedule. The general rules for planning your course map are:
You may also refer to suggested course maps for your degree as a guide to map out your time at Monash.
- 144 credit (192 credits for B2027) - cannot exceed
- 6 core units
- 1 capstone unit
- 1 major (8 units is required for a major. For major-specific requirments, see unit schedule)
- Maximum 10 first-year units
- Minimum 6 third-year units
Can you plan my study plan/course map for me?
- No. The responsibility remains with the student to ensure that units selected meet the course specific regulations and requirements. The Faculty of Business & Economics bears no responsibility for student error in unit selection. However, once you've planned your course map, you may send it to us to check if it has met all the requirements of the course.
- What does Semester 1 and 2 mean?
- This means that the unit is offered in both semesters (February and July)
What does co-requisite mean?
- The units can be done together in the same semester. Handbook glossary
I have completed my course, how do I get my transcript and certificate?
- Kindly wait for the School of Business Education Management Office to course complete you in the system. Once your Course Status on your Academic Record on WES changes to ‘COMPLETED’, you can request for your official transcript and certificate through the Student Services department.
Will I be notified when I am course completed?
- No, our office does not send out emails about that. You will need to check your WES needs to be checked periodically.
How do I postpone by graduation?
- You can do so via WES (https://my.monash.edu.au/wes/graduation/apply/)
If you want to postpone (defer) your graduation, you must do so at least 30 days.
You can change your graduation details using the View/Update graduation application link in WES.
- If we have allocated you to a ceremony, you must postpone your application to a future ceremony date.
- If we haven't allocated you to a ceremony yet, you can change to one of the other ceremonies in the drop down box.
How do I apply for a supplementary exam?
- You do not need to apply for NS as faculty will offer it to you. You can check your eligibility by checking the grade on your academic transcript via WES. If eligible, the fail grade (N) will be adjusted to NS soon after results are released, granting you a supplementary assessment.
I’ve been granted NS for my unit. When will I get information on the exam dates?
- You may refer to this webpage for information on the exam dates.
I have an NS. Can I convert my results to SFR?
- Yes, you can convert it once your supplementary results are out. You may refer to this webpage for more information.
Will SFR affect the professional accounting papers exemption?
The School has checked and confirmed that the SFRs are recognised by the professional accounting bodies.
May I know how would converting my grades to SFR affect future employability such as internships? I also have plans to further my studies to postgraduate after getting my degree and I want to apply for scholarships.
- SFR may affect you if you are planning to further your studies or apply for scholarship as the criteria might require your prior academic achievement and merit. As for employment opportunities, it depends on the company itself. You can perhaps explain to them about the flexi semester due to the COVID pandemic.
For further information, you may refer to this webpage for further information.
It is possible for me to exchange to Monash Australia during my last semester?
What is the average WAM required for Global Intercampus Exchange?
- Caulfield - 60%
- Clayton - 70%
What Mathematics qualifications are required for Global Intercampus Exchange?
- Caulfield - Year 12 Maths
- Clayton - Year 12 Higher Maths
What is the deadline for the Global Intercampus Exchange application form submission?
- Please refer to the Monash Abroad website for more details.
Where can I find the Monash University Australia unit codes for my Global Intercampus Exchange?
- All units available in Monash University campuses are available in the Handbook. Please search the unit by the Monash University Malaysia unit code and look under “PROHIBITION” to find the Monash University Australia unit code.
What are the entry requirements and WAM required for the study abroad program?
- The list of partner universities and their requirements can be found here.
How long do study abroad programs take?
- The inter-campus exchange is only for a semester (6 months) and the inter university exchange is for either 1-2 semesters (6 months to 1 year). That would however, be depending on the structure of your course map as well.
Does the university I'm planning to exchange with have to be affiliated with Monash?
- Yes, the university has to be a partner university of MUM. Kindly refer to the Monash Abroad for the list of affiliated universities.
When can I start applying for a study abroad program?
- Please refer to the Monash Abroad website for more details.
How to apply for Intermission?
- You may apply for intermission by fill in the SORS intermission form and the school will process the intermision for you. Once the application approved, you will notified and received the letter of intermission.
- Note: Please take note on the return date of intermission. You must be return and re-enrol your units accordingly before start the semester. If you wish to extend your intermission, you must re-apply and your School will determine if an extension is possible. Your School may have requirements that you complete your degree within a specified timeframe.
How long can I apply for Intermission?
- It is only applicable for 1 year (2 semesters) at a time. If students require more than 1 year of Intermission, another form needs to be submitted.
Do International students have a different process?
- No, but the international students are required to consult with the ISP first as the Intermission might affect their visa.
How many times can I apply for intermission?
- There is no limit however, The Intermission period is also included in the 8 years (B2026) or 10 years (B2027) maximum duration allowed for the School of Business. Hence, your application might be rejected if you do not have enough time to complete your degree.
What is Internal Course Transfer (ICT)?
- It is when students want to transfer from a different course in MUM to SOB.
Is there a minimum requirement?
- Yes, for School of Business it would be 50% wam at the minimum. Students need Year 11 Maths as well.
I'm an international student. How do I apply for ICT?
- Is there an application deadline?As an international student, you are required to get a written approval from the ISP office (email@example.com) first. Once you’ve gotten their approval, please proceed to put in an ICT Application form with the written approval via the SORS system (SORS → Enrol → ICT Application form). Please refer to this webpage for the application deadline.
My ICT got rejected because of NS. What should I do?
- You have 2 options:
- Contact Monash Connect and get your grade changed to a Fail grade (N) and then reapply for ICT for the incoming semester.
- Complete your supplementary exam and reapply for ICT in the semester after the next one.
I am an international student and I want to do less than 4 units during a semester (underload). Do I need to apply for it?
- As an international student, you are required to get a written approval from the ISP office (firstname.lastname@example.org) first. Once you’ve gotten their approval, please proceed to put in an Underload application with the written approval via the SORS system (SORS → Enrol → Underload Application).
What are the minimum number of unit(s) that I can do during a semester?
- International students: 2 units
- Local students: 1 unit
When is the last day to underload?
- By Friday of Week 2 from the start of the semester to avoid financial penalty.
What are the requirements for an overload?
- Pass and complete 8 units in the 2 semesters prior to the Overloading semester.
- Have an average of 60% and above for the above mentioned 8 units (Not the WAM).
How do I apply for an overload?
- Kindly put in an Overload application via the SORS system (SORS → Enrol → Overload Application)
My timetable is clashing, what should I do?
- Please refer to this website to fix all timetable related problems.
I cannot pick my tutorial slot, all full. What can I do?
- Favourite one of the slots first and then during the lecture time, notify your lecturer about this and they will manually add you into the course.
When do the Allocate+ Preferences and Re-enrolment open and close?
- Kindly refer to the Principal Dates for Monash University Malaysia here.