International Exchange

International Exchange

Broaden your horizons! Take a semester or two at one of Monash’s partner universities located in 30 countries across the United Kingdom, Europe, the Americas, Asia and New Zealand.

While overseas on exchange, you will:

  • continue to be enrolled at Monash
  • receive credit for your overseas study towards your Monash degree
  • continue paying your regular tuition fees to Monash Malaysia (in Malaysian Ringgit)

If you are interested in applying for an international exchange, it is strongly recommended that you begin planning early. We suggest keeping your elective units for the semester you wish to go on exchange to ensure a smoother transition to the partner institution.

Am I eligible to apply? 

Find out if you’re eligible and how to apply here.

Advisory for Final Year Students

We do not recommend that final year students, especially final semester students, go for international exchange. As different institutions have varying result release schedules, you may have to delay your graduation if the exchange institution releases results later than Monash. Additionally, if you fail a unit, you will need to continue another semester in Monash.

Which Partner Institution should I choose?

With partner institutions in more than 100 countries, it can be difficult to choose. Please visit the Monash Abroad Portal and International Exchange official page first to see if you can find what you are looking for:

Once you have gone through the two resources above, these additional pointers can help you plan for an exchange that best suits you and your course of study:

  1. In general, we recommend choosing institutions with a lower WAM requirement (especially if your WAM is not very high) and a large quota for exchange students to increase your chances of approval.
  2. Consider an institution’s pre-approved lists; this makes unit selection easier. Don’t forget to make sure that the unit you’ve selected is available during your exchange semester.
  3. Look out for institutions offering similar majors. There’s a higher chance that these institutions offer matching units and can be helpful if you have limited elective units available for an exchange semester.
  4. Find institutions with a credit ratio balance that works for you. Each partner institution’s units will have its own credit value. Be careful to ensure that the institutions you choose have a good credit ratio balance as that will enable you to meet the 18 or 24 Monash credit points required for you to complete your semester.
  5. Choose institutions offering some units with identical names to those in your B2026 or B2027 course. This is mainly applicable to students who do not have the space for elective units and have to choose a major/minor unit for exchange.

Now that you have gone through the above steps, you may use the SOB International Exchange Checklist to assist you in selecting the right partner institutions that will work best for you.

Suggested Partner Institutions (offering a variety of business units for selection):

What type of units can I select? 

There are five types of approved units you may include in your Smartsheet study plan. If you are submitting a combination of major, minor and elective units for assessment, we encourage that you place elective units higher in order of preference, followed by minor and finally major units.


  • Free Elective – units that come from any area of study (not restricted to Business), and do not necessarily have to be equivalent to MUM units (Part C of the Course Map Planning Guide). You are highly encouraged to explore and choose free elective units for your exchange. Important: Please ensure that you meet the prerequisites for the units and have sufficient elective space to proceed.
  • Technical / Discipline / Degree Elective – the units approved to fulfil your Business elective units as listed in the Unit Schedule (Part C of the Course Map Planning Guide). These units do not have to be part of your major/minor and do not necessarily have to be equivalent to MUM units. You are encouraged to take these units for your exchange.


  • Major Units – the units required to fulfil your major units as listed in Part B of the Course Map Planning Guide. We strongly do not recommend taking major units for exchange because if your unit is not approved or the partner institution changes its unit offerings, you will not be able to fulfill the units required for your intended major.
  • Minor Units – the units approved to fulfil your minor units are listed in the Unit Schedule (Part C of your course map planning guide). We do not recommend choosing minor units for exchange unless you do not have elective space left. However, if you must choose between a major and minor unit, please prioritise a minor unit as you are required to fulfil one major to graduate from the School of Business.


  • Capstone Units – compulsory for all SOB students after completing 96 credit points or more, and must be taken in MUM (see Part A of the Course Map Planning Guide). Please do not submit any capstone units for exchange.
  • Professional Accounting Units – If you are intending to take a Professional Accounting accreditation such as ACCA, CPA and CAANZ, please do not select Accounting units for exchange even if there are matching units in the partner institution. This is to avoid complications during your accreditation process. Learn more here and if you have further questions, please contact the respective accreditation bodies listed.


Specialisation Units – these units are only relevant for certain courses. If you are a B2026 student, these units are not applicable to you. For B2027 students, you may be able to select these units under your Arts degree; this will be assessed by the Education Management Office in the School of Arts and Social Sciences.

How should I plan my units for International Exchange?

  1. Read the course map planning guide.
  2. Identify the units you need to take to complete your degree. You can refer to the unit schedule and handbook for assistance, as well as the SOB International Exchange Checklist. Please ensure that you are referring to the current year handbook by checking the year indicated at the top right corner of the unit handbook and the current year unit schedule by checking at the top of the unit schedule.
  3. Draft your exchange study plan using the course map tool or DIY course map. Important: SOB does not accept MonPlan study plans for review. Try to arrange as many elective units as you can for the exchange semester. If you are unable to, you may combine them with major or minor units.

    Other degree requirements to keep in mind:

    • Completion of 144 credits (192 credits for B2027) – cannot exceed
    • Maximum 10 first-year units
    • Minimum 6 third-year units, 4 of which must be from Business degree units
  4. Determine the number of units you must complete to meet Monash’s 18 or 24 credit point requirements. The SOB International Exchange Briefing Slides (Slides 20-21) list out detailed guidelines you will find helpful. Tip: Ensure that you select a few extra units that meet the necessary criteria in case your preferred units are unavailable.
  5. Review the latest unit outlines (also called module catalogue, course structure) from the Monash Abroad Portal. An external unit must match at least 80% in content and outline to its MUM counterpart for it to be considered an equivalent unit. Elective units do not need to match MUM units.
  6. Nearly there! A final check:
  • Do you meet the prerequisites of the external units and where applicable, the matching MUM units?
  • Are the units you’re eyeing available for exchange students?
  • Are the units offered in the semester you’re planning to go for exchange? Tip: Most US, UK and European universities use ‘Spring Semester’ for Monash Semester 1 and ‘Autumn Semester’ for Monash Semester 2. Please refer to the Monash Abroad Portal or the institution’s website if you are unsure.

How do I submit my Study Plan?

  1. For a step-by-step guide, head over to: Draft Your Study Plan
  2. When filling in the Smartsheet, remember to list the units in order of preference (most preferred at the top). The unit codes in your Smartsheet should be the exchange institution’s codes, not MUM codes.
  3. You’ll also have to upload your Course Map Tool or DIY Course Map under the Course Progression Advice section in your application form on the Monash Abroad Portal. In your course map, do make sure that the MUM unit codes you’ve listed are matching units to the first 3-4 units you submitted in your Smartsheet. You may insert Elective units (these don’t have unit codes) in your course map.
  4. You are not required to submit any study plan to the Education Management Office for verification prior to submitting your application on the Monash Abroad Portal. Please ensure that you have met the degree requirements for exchange.
  5. When your Study Plan has been approved by your School, you will receive an email advising unit assessment and approval. Please upload this to your application on the Monash Abroad Portal as a document.

We regularly organise helpful briefings and consultation sessions for students interested in our exchange programs! Check out the Briefing Calendar and be sure to attend one if you’re still unsure of the process or have further questions.

How do I enrol for exchange? 

Most of you would have re-enrolled for the exchange semester during the re-enrolment period.

If your exchange application is approved, EMO will drop your MUM units and advise you on your enrolment prior to your scheduled exchange semester. You don’t have to discontinue your current enrolment on WES.

Important: You are not allowed to change approved units for enrolment except under extenuating circumstances.

How do I obtain my official transcript and submit my result? 

You are responsible for obtaining your transcript from the exchange institution upon completion of your program. Please confirm with the exchange institution when, how and where your transcript will be released to ensure you do not miss it.

Once you have obtained your transcript, please fill in and submit the SOB Exchange Result Submission Form and upload your transcript via the form. As long as you pass, EMO will process your grades as SFR.

What if I fail? 

If you fail a unit and receive a failing grade, you won’t earn the credit point for your exchange. Please still submit your transcript. You will have to enrol in additional units at MUM to replace the failed credit point.

Where can I find more information? 


BRIEFING SESSIONS We regularly organise helpful briefings and consultation sessions for students interested in our exchange programs. Check out the Briefing Calendar and please make time to attend a session if you’re still unsure of the process or have further questions.


If you’ve attended a briefing session and gone through these resources but remain unsure of the exchange process, you may submit a ticket to Ask Mira. Please choose the correct help topic to ensure your ticket reaches the right department:

  • Course Advice – for course advice, unit selection and degree requirements for exchange
  • Exchange Programs – for eligibility, application matters, logistics and financial assistance for exchange

Important: Please submit two different tickets if your queries fall into different help topics. This will ensure your query is sent to the correct department, which means you’ll get the answers you need quickly as well.