Students who are enrolled and subsequently wish to apply to take a period of leave from their studies may apply for an intermission of up to 12 months. Each school will advise whether the period of leave will count, or not, in the time limits for completion of the course. The maximum time limit for completion of each course is given in the faculty regulations.

During the intermission, you are considered to be a student of the university for the period of the intermission. To maintain your place with the University, please note that students on intermission are still required to re-enrol during the scheduled re-enrolment period in October/November for the following year.

To apply

  • Applications are to be made using an 'Intermission Application form' available at the school’s Course Management Office.
  • Applications should be made prior to the census date in the current semester to limit the financial and/or academic penalties.
  • Applications are to be submitted directly to the Course Management Office of your school