SCI3800 Science Internship
The internship gives you the opportunity to apply your university learning to the workplace, providing you with the experience in tailoring your academic-based learning to the needs of an industry-based partner, and to network with potential employers. This will prepare you for work or professional practice by integrating theoretical knowledge with practice. You will learn about the process of applying for employment and good workplace practice.
The internship will generally take place during the summer break (8-12 weeks), commencing middle of November and ending in January.
- Unit coordinator: Dr. Lee Wai Leng
- Eligibility: At least 96 credit points or with permission of the Head of Discipline.
- Link to Monash handbook: https://handbook.monash.edu/2022/units/SCI3800?year=2022
- 1. Attend the SCI3800 General information session.
- 2. You are encouraged to search for potential companies that could provide internship training. Contact your companies of interest for internship opportunities. The company list links are available in the Expression of Interest (EOI) form. Please find the form here.
- 3. Apply through the Expression of Interest (EOI) form by listing down the company of your choice and details (name of person in charge, company's full name and address, internship task description). Clearly indicate whether a support letter is required for your application.
- 4. You will receive a notification email and supporting letters (issue based on requests) from the School of Science Course Management Office (within 5 days) upon approval from the Unit Coordinator.
- 5. Provide a copy of the offer letter to the Unit Coordinator once you received it. Please note that the offer needs to come from the company approved by the Unit Coordinator. If not, you have to repeat Step 3.
- 6. Enrol in SCI3800 Science Internship via SORS under the Enrollment Amendment Form by 31 October 2022. International students will need to provide a copy of the student pass and the first passport page if you commence the internship in Malaysia.
- 7. Attend the compulsory pre-departure briefing (date to be confirmed).
- NOTE: Strictly NO submission of EOI after 31 October 2022.
- Q&A session (general briefing): 26 May 2022 (10.00am)
- Pre-departure briefing: At the end of the 3rd week of the final exam Semester 2, 2022 (date to be confirmed)
Note: The internship period is between 22 November 2022 to 31 Jan 2023 (The dates are correct at the time of publication and it is subject to change). Please read more about the assessments and requirements here.
Information provided by applicants are collected for the primary purpose of applying for the Science internship. The information provided by the applicants may also be provided to designated company representatives.
You are expected to represent Monash University in a manner that does not compromise the integrity, reputation or relationship of the University and the School of Science with the participating companies, in any way. You must:
- conduct yourself in a professional manner;
- ensure you are present, punctual, and ready to work at the beginning of each day, or at a time arranged by your internship supervisor;
- dress appropriately for the workplace and the type of work being undertaken;- follow directions as given by the internship supervisor;
- diligently keeps a weekly journal (log book) on activities conducted;
- be prepared and committed to delivering a presentation and submitting a project report at the end of the internship period (assessment requirement)- immediately advise the participating company and Monash University if any issue or concern arises in the workplace;
- immediately advise the participating company and Monash University of any accident or incident in the workplace;
- advise the participating company if you suffer from a medical condition or disability that may affect your work performance; and
- maintain communication with Monash University.
Dr. Lee Wai Leng - SCI3800 Unit Coordinator
firstname.lastname@example.org or +603-55146098
Education Management Office
email@example.com or +603-55159743 / +603-55144990
Ms. Santhana Rajmohan - Manager, Career Services firstname.lastname@example.org or +603-55146038
Note: Provide assistance in resume or cover letter writing
What our students say about SCI3800
Rate and comment our service here.