FST3800 Food science internship
The internship gives you the opportunity to apply your university learning to the workplace, providing you with the experience in tailoring your academic-based learning to the needs of an industry-based partner, and to network with potential employers. This will prepare you for work or professional practice by integrating theoretical knowledge with practice. You will learn about the process of applying for employment and good workplace practice.
The internship will generally take place during the summer break (8-12 weeks), commencing middle of November and ending in January.
- Attend the general information session briefing.
- You may start identifying potential food companies/manufacturers that could provide internship training by the month of April. Contact your companies of interest for the internship opportunity. The previous companies list link is available in the application form.
- Submit the Application Form by listing down the company of your choices and details (name of person in charge, company's full name and address) include a supporting letter in your application. Supporting letter will be emailed to you within 3 working days after you submitted your application form. Apply 1 to 2 companies at a time and follow up closely the status of the application.
- Update Unit Coordinator on the application status in May and June 2022.
- Provide a final update on your application by Monday 1 August 2022. If you need help from the school to search for a place for industrial placement, please email the Unit Coordinator. If you choose not to accept the internship, the school will not be responsible for arranging future internships. All the follow-up sessions will be informed via email.
- Email a copy of the offer letter to firstname.lastname@example.org once you receive your offer letter from the company.
- Attend a typhoid vaccination session in September 2022.
- Submit indemnity form and enrol in FST3800 by end October 2022. International students will need to provide a copy of the student pass and first page of passport if you commence the internship in Malaysia.
- Attend the compulsory pre-departure briefing (date to be confirmed).
- General information session: Week 5 of Semester 1, 2022 (date to be confirmed)
- Pre-departure briefing: Week 12 of Semester 2, 2022 (date to be confirmed)
Note: Internship period is from 5 December 2022 to 24 February 2023. (The dates are correct at the time of published and it is subject to change)
Information provided by applicants are collected for the primary purpose of applying for the internship. The information provided by the applicants may also be provided to designated company representatives.
You are expected to represent Monash University in a manner that does not compromise the integrity, reputation or relationship of the University and the School of Science with the participating companies, in any way. You must:
- conduct yourself in a professional manner;
- ensure you are present, punctual, and ready to work at the beginning of each day, or at a time arranged by your internship supervisor;
- dress appropriately for the workplace and the type of work being undertaken;- follow directions as given by the internship supervisor;
- diligently keeps a weekly journal (log book) on activities conducted;
- be prepared and committed to delivering a presentation and submitting a project report at the end of the internship period (assessment requirement)- immediately advise the participating company and Monash University if any issue or concern arises in the workplace;
- immediately advise the participating company and Monash University of any accident or incident in the workplace;
- advise the participating company if you suffer from a medical condition or disability that may affect your work performance; and
- maintain communication with Monash University.
Associate Professor Siow Lee Fong - FST3800 Unit Coordinator
email@example.com or +603 55146034
Course Management Office
firstname.lastname@example.org or +603-55159743 / +603-55144990
Ms. Santhana Rajmohan - Manager, Career Services email@example.com or +603-55146038
Note: Provide assistance in resume or cover letter writing
What our students say about FST3800
Rate and comment our service here.