MBS3800 Medical bioscience internship
The internship gives you the opportunity to apply your university learning to the workplace, providing you with the experience in tailoring your academic-based learning to the needs of an industry-based partner, and to network with potential employers. This will prepare you for work or professional practice by integrating theoretical knowledge with practice. You will learn about the process of applying for employment and good workplace practice.
The internship will generally take place during the summer break (8-12 weeks), commencing middle of November and ending in January.
- Unit coordinator: Dr. Tan Ji Wei
- Eligibility: At least 96 credit points or with permission of the Head of Discipline.
- Monash handbook: MBS3800
- Attend a briefing session on Thursday, 3rd March 2022 at 2pm-4pm (Via Zoom).
- Complete Preference Form to indicate 6 choices of hospital/ laboratory with CV submission (7th March to 18th March 2022). If the number of requests exceeds the allocated places in a particular location, selection will be based on academic results.
- If you outsource your internship placement, please email the hospital details before 18th March 2022 to the internship coordinator, Dr Tan Ji Wei (email@example.com). The Unit Coordinator will check the suitability of the hospital. Upon confirming the internship placement, you will receive a supporting letter within 3 working days. Nevertheless, you will still need to complete Step 2.
- You will receive a notification email on Hepatitis B or booster session details. If you miss any sessions, you will need to get the Hepatitis B vaccination at your own cost and show proof of vaccination prior to the MBS3800 enrolment in October 2022.
- You will receive an email confirmation of hospital allocation tentatively in late October or early November 2022. Change of allocation is not allowed.
- Enroll in MBS3800 Medical Bioscience Internship via SORS under the Enrollment Amendment Form in October 2022. International students will need to provide a copy of the student pass and the first passport page if they commence an internship in Malaysia.
- Attend compulsory pre-departure briefing in Week 12 of Semester 2, 2022 (date to be confirmed).
Note: Internship period is between November 2022 to February 2023.
Information provided by applicants are collected for the primary purpose of applying for the Science internship. The information provided by the applicants may also be provided to designated company representatives.
You are expected to represent Monash University in a manner that does not compromise the integrity, reputation or relationship of the University and the School of Science with the participating companies, in any way. You must:
- conduct yourself in a professional manner;
- ensure you are present, punctual, and ready to work at the beginning of each day, or at a time arranged by your internship supervisor;
- dress appropriately for the workplace and the type of work being undertaken;- follow directions as given by the internship supervisor;
- diligently keeps a weekly journal (log book) on activities conducted;
- be prepared and committed to delivering a presentation and submitting a project report at the end of the internship period (assessment requirement)- immediately advise the participating company and Monash University if any issue or concern arises in the workplace;
- immediately advise the participating company and Monash University of any accident or incident in the workplace;
- advise the participating company if you suffer from a medical condition or disability that may affect your work performance; and
- maintain communication with Monash University.
Dr. Tan Ji Wei - MBS3800 Unit Coordinator
firstname.lastname@example.org or +603-55146098
Education Management Office
email@example.com or +603-55159743 / +603-55144990
Ms. Santhana Rajmohan - Manager, Career Services firstname.lastname@example.org or +603-55146038
Note: Provide assistance in resume or cover letter writing
What our students say about MBS3800?
|MICHAELA LIM IVANA|
Internship at Permulab
"Honestly, it was a fun & challenging in the same time as I haven’t been working in the lab due to the pandemic and the department that I worked with was different from my major. I would recommend for other student to do the internship, as it gave me a new perspective about the work life in the science field – indeed it was so different from the lab that I did in campus! Also, I gain a lot of new social skill as I must work with other colleague that might have different background, studies, even language".
|CATHERINE HII WAN YIN|
Internship at Universiti Brunei Darussalam
"Firstly, I was able to enhance my skills as a biomedical scientist by practicing all the skills I learnt in class. Secondly, I learnt how to work in a team with my other coworkers which helped me improve in my communication, teamwork and leadership skills. Thirdly, this internship helped me gain more knowledge in the field as well as helped improve my critical thinking, problem solving, organization and multi-tasking skills. An internship benefits me because it provides me with some work experience which allows me to stand out to potential employers and broaden my network as I was surrounded by many professionals that specialized in their field which may help me find a job easier in the future".
|ALYA NUHA FARHAH|
Internship at Permulab
"Through this experience, I was exposed to new protocols and equipment which I had not handled before. In addition, I learnt what it is like to be an employee for a company. It helped me work on my communication and my time management skills. An internship is our first working experience outside of academics. It allows us to see the theory that we learnt be put into industrial practice as well trains us to navigate ourselves in the working world. Although it was for 8 weeks, my internship became meaningful experience, allowing me to grow as a student and an individual".
|AMAARAAH RAQIN FAIZ|
Internship at Kings Hospital Colombo
(Medical laboratory technician)
"During my internship, I had the opportunity to conduct a variety of medical tests under several different lab disciplines. By doing so, I gained invaluable hands-on practical experience with state-of-the-art lab equipment and machinery, as well as with routine testing methods. I found that this gave me a head start for some of my third-year units and further solidified my understanding of theoretical concepts learnt in my second year, particularly in relation to microbiology.
Additionally, with the numerous tasks assigned to me daily, I was able to improve my time management, multi tasking, and organization skills. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed my time at my internship, and I look forward to interning at a similar institution in the future!".
|LIM YI SHAN|
Internship at Sunway Medical Center
"During my internship, I had gained plenty of lab skills, such as plating agar plates, conducting blood tests and urinalysis. Besides, not only was I able to apply my textbook knowledge into real-life situations, I was also able to learn from professional lab scientists as well, which further deepened my understanding on various medical topics.
While the internship was a complete 180 experience from studying, I had definitely enjoyed it as it allowed me to appreciate the life and responsibility of medical staff in the hospital, and how diligent and selfless they are in their work to provide the best care for their patients. Moreover, I was also able to widen my network by meeting with interns from other universities, as well as with my colleagues at work".
Rate and comment our service here.